cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Sin-wat
Journeyman III

GPU scaling makes whole screen blurry

Hi everybody, I've run into some problems trying to change the aspect ratio of my old 5:4 monitor. The only way to do it seemed to be enabling GPU scaling with maintained aspect ratios in AMD's Catalyst Control Center, then changing the resolution in Win 10's display settings. This way I managed to add the black bars I wanted on the top and bottom of the screen, but the display quality degraded very noticably. The whole screen became blurry, text is hard to read. 

GPU scaling looks horrible on all resolutions with "Maintain aspect ratio" or "Scale image to full panel size" enabled, even on the native resolution. "Use centered timings" looks marginally better, but it unnecesarily decreases screen size, adding black bars on all sides, even on the native resolution (I don't know if that's normal). Maybe centered timings looks better only because the blur is less noticable on the smaller screen.

I've got a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card with the latest drivers, and a Fujitsu Siemens B19-6 LED 19" 1280x1024. I couldn't find specific drivers for the monitor, device manager lists it as a "generic non PnP monitor". The manufacturer's site has no driver for it either, and even though I found some shady sites that claim to have it, I didn't risk the download. I doubt it would solve the problem anyway. 

I use a VGA cable, connected to the GPU with a DVI adapter. (Don't know if that's relevant).

Display scaling looks all right, but I really want to change the aspect ratio, and the monitor's menu has no such option.

I've read somewhere that creating a custom resolution with a modified Hz range might fix the problem, but I'm too clueless to fiddle with those settings. Any ideas on fixing GPU scaling or finding a way of changing the aspect ratio without having to enable it would be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Thanny
Miniboss

LCD displays - any fixed-pixel display, really - will get blurry when you scale the image outside of the native resolution.

You haven't said what aspect ratio you're looking for, or why you want it, so I'm going to assume you mean 4:3.  If you set the resolution to 1280x960 with centered timings, you should get a sharp image with thin bars above and below. 

If not, then there might be an issue with the analog input on the monitor.  It might have OSD tools to reposition the image.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

LCD displays - any fixed-pixel display, really - will get blurry when you scale the image outside of the native resolution.

You haven't said what aspect ratio you're looking for, or why you want it, so I'm going to assume you mean 4:3.  If you set the resolution to 1280x960 with centered timings, you should get a sharp image with thin bars above and below. 

If not, then there might be an issue with the analog input on the monitor.  It might have OSD tools to reposition the image.

Ditto, exactly correct! 

Thank you for answering. As it turns out, my monitor is a bit on the conceited side, self-identifying as a 1600 width screen. Which is the weirdest thing ever: it was sold as 1280, looking up model number also suggested 1280, and frankly, pixel density seems a tad too crappy for it to be 1600. Setting the resolution to 1600x900 I got what I wanted, with acceptable quality, though I have absolutely no idea why. Sorry for wasting your time, and thanks again.

0 Likes