cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Yomyomshinyshiny
Journeyman III

ECC AND DIMM RAM

I mistakely order a ECC RAM is there any way for my tuf b450m pro gaming motherboard to be able to use such RAM to function. Is it possible for me to use the RAM by updating the bios.

0 Likes
4 Replies

It depends which Ryzen processor you are using it might be possible to run ECC RAM Modules.

BUT it DEPENDS whether your ECC RAM is listed on your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM and if your Motherboard supports ECC RAM.

Here is the specs on your Motherboard concerning ECC RAM: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/techspe...

Screenshot 2022-04-19 070908.png

Here is where you can check to see if your ECC Ram is supported or not: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDes...

0 Likes
filinux
Elite

Hello Yomyomshinyshiny, 

You asked if you would be able to use such RAM to function, are you asking "will this RAM allow me to use my PC in general" or will you be able to utilize the Error Checking & Correcting (ECC) functionality of the ECC RAM?  

Use my PC in general: I should Google this a bit before answering but in my experience as long as the ECC RAM is within spec of the motherboard (correct type as in DDR4 and correct speed in Mhz)  it usually will work as "normal" RAM most of the time.  At least for me it has on several occasions on many different platforms.  Just as NON-ECC RAM will most often work in most servers that can utilize ECC.  

Use the ECC functionality: You will need to confirm this but from my memory I believe most  of the newer AMD CPU's support ECC (not the APUs) .   I checked the ASUS site for your MoBo and it shows ECC is supported (If CPU supports it).   

So it looks like the RAM will work as will the ECC functionality if enabled.  Should you use it though?  I understand the "I have waited FOREVER to use my new PC" feeling but ECC is often more expensive & slower compared to NON-ECC as EVERY bit (use of "bit" was unintentional and amused me : ) of data has to be checked which takes time.   Fast RAM is a important factor in PC gaming so I would recommend exchanging the ECC-RAM for more suitable RAM for your needs.  

Hope this helps & you have a GREAT DAY!!

EDIT: I do not know why but the post & answer above was not visible to me until after I posted this.  Sorry for any/all duplicate information. 

0 Likes
Yomyomshinyshiny
Journeyman III

Am using a ryzen 2600x CPU, 

0 Likes

This where you can download Asus Support QVL List for the 2000 series pro: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-B450M-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Q...

Downloaded the QVL List for the 2000 series processor but it doesn't have a ECC Column to indicate which RAM supports ECC on the Motherboard.

I believe that all Ryzen Processors except Ryzen APU support unofficial ECC RAM Memory. But the Motherboard must support it also.

So there is no ECC Column in the QVL List it is possible the Motherboard doesn't support ECC Ram memory. I would open a Asus Support Ticket and see if your Motherboard supports ECC Ram or not.

But even if it doesn't you can still use it as long as it is compatible with your Motherboard and processor.

0 Likes