cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

stich55
Journeyman III

Doom Eternal 20.4.1 driver for HDR still not working?

Just cleared out and installed new driver which states to fix this problem among others. This still does not work. Amd and Bethesda message still prompts on load up screen that it's not "HDR" capable? Can attempt to overide and check the HDR box in the game under the video screen, but then locks up the entire computer. It does recover after waiting around 10 minutes and HDR defaults back to "Off"?

1 Solution
fyrel
Miniboss

From the latest Doom patch notes

Removed AMD HDR warning message on startup (AMD has since fixed the issue with their current release drivers)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies
yendys
Adept II

Hello,
HDR has been broken for me for months and all games and videos on YouTube ... Gray and colorless. Maybe he'll never fix it again, month after month, but now I'm looking for the 2070S.

Ok, what I advise you is to report an error and fill in the error form. Please, everybody do it.

0 Likes
ecgonza
Adept I

I have Win10 with latest updates, ryzen 2600x, Vega 64, 16gb ram, LG 34" ultra wide non-hdr screen, asrock ab350 gaming-itx/ac board using 20.4.1 drivers and I am getting this error with doom eternal.  Is there a work around?

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

Uninstall your driver an install this one. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

Doom Eternal runs in Vulkan. A version of Vulkan only supported in the last couple of AMD drivers. So NO A DRIVER FROM 2017 will not run Doom Eternal. 

In fact HDR support wasn't even added to Windows 10 until version 1803. So your suggest driver even pre-dates the OS supporting it. So no the driver suggested will not help the OP. 

pokester wrote:

In fact HDR support wasn't even added to Windows 10 until version 1803. So your suggest driver even pre-dates the OS supporting it. So no the driver suggested will not help the OP. 

actually HDR was added to version 1809, the one that cause all the missing files for upgrades

I installed that version chean and it was not a problem

My LG panel supports the windows 10 HDR as seen in the settings, it was a feature when I was shopping that I noted along with support for the AMD freesync etc

0 Likes

17.9.1 drivers don't work.  Re-installed 20.4.1 - still same "AMD graphics drivers do not currently support HDR....."

0 Likes

From all accounts Windows 10 support implementation for HDR is just really bad. Not passing the buck from AMD to Microsoft but the DRM built into it and the way MS is forcing the drivers to have Windows change most settings I think is proving to be challenging for just about every company. I was able to get HDR working on my green team card, but even it wasn't straight forward. I was only able to get the setting I wanted utilizing their studio vs gameready driver. 

Something I did and I have no idea if it would be the same on AMD but I did get more options using the DP to HDMI adapter than I did with the straight HDMI to HDMI. I don't want to spend you money for you on something though that I have no idea will help. 

Maybe someone with more experience will have an idea. 

Also are you connection to a TV or Monitor that supports HDR. 

TV's can be very particular on the settings. My Samsung I had to change a setting that I would have never even guessed affects HDR by the way it was saved. 

Regardless google you model display and HDR and Windows. There may be a video, like I found for mine that helped a bunch. 

If not contact support for your display as well as AMD support and hopefully they can help. 

Oh I should mention that HDR is also extremely picky on the quality of your HDMI and version cable.

This is the one I use and I believe is still one of the very best cables out there.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1BNM7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

ecgonza wrote:

17.9.1 drivers don't work.  Re-installed 20.4.1 - still same "AMD graphics drivers do not currently support HDR....."

I am using 20.4.1 and HDR works on my rig.

Probably a good idea to try DDU and see if that can clean up enough for a fresh install of 20.4.1

0 Likes

I know HDR was working on my Polaris card last time I had the card in my HTPC. However it really depends on what card you have. I have see many complaints about this on the Navi based cards. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I know HDR was working on my Polaris card last time I had the card in my HTPC. However it really depends on what card you have. I have see many complaints about this on the Navi based cards. 

Funding for new cards is problematic with digital coin miners driving up the cost.

Last procurement was a large media rack for my CD/DVD/BD/game media. Set me back 2.5 franklins.

0 Likes

Just to be clear, I have a Ryzen 2600x, Vega 64, Windows 10 (latest version), 16gb, using displayport with a 34" LG ultra wide that DOES NOT support HDR..  I tried DDU to uninstall and re-install my 20.4.1 drivers - still same issue.  Perhaps if I switch to HDMI instead of DisplayPort it will make a difference?

0 Likes

HDMI is no solution as it is too bandwidth starved to be of use

I wiped windows and installed it fresh and my box is stable with 20.4.1 and my RX 480

Waiting on a replacement R9 Fury for more testing

0 Likes

Have you tried a clean install of version 19.12.1 ?

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

I'm not sure if this will help... but I recently upgraded from a Studio Colour to HDR10+ Display.

Now as best as I can tell the *only* time it enables HDR Modes is whenever the Display is switched to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0., this allows it to run in Native 10/12bit per Channel; where-as using RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4, while being listed as "Supported" automatically keeps resetting back to 8bit per Channel.

Windows 10 will see this as 8-bit Colour with Dithering., and I think this is where things go a bit awry. 

Remember not every HDR Display *actually* supports every HDR Format and Windows 10 (DXGI) doesn't automatically convert to the format your Display DOES Support, rather this is down to the Drivers. 

AMD's Vulkan Drivers DO NOT support YCbCr Conversion., perhaps the Display Engine doesn't on the Architecture; I'm not sure which is at "Fault" per se, I just know it's listed as False on the Vulkan Info.

Switching to the Lower (i.e. TV Pixel Formats) at least for me, allows HDR to work flawlessly... and before anyone says "Oh but the Bandwidth" ... bare in mind this is using HDMI 2.0b (which both my Samsung UERU7470XXL and RX 5700 XT have).

Doom Eternal' HDR (despite the message saying it doesn't work on AMD Drivers) ... does provided you have a Native 10+ bit Channel Colour. 

ecgonza
Adept I

I finally got Doom Eternal to work.  I was so hung up on the Bethseda's message that AMD does not support HDR, I was not looking at the error message afterwards "...xinput1_3.dll not found".

After searching for this I found this link - and just downloaded and updated the june directx update.   And now Doom Eternal runs.  I am not running with HDR, but I am not missing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/fm4f6w/if_doom_eternal_is_crashing_on_launch_pc_try_this/ 

0 Likes

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 ship with XInput 1.1 - 1.3

Windows 10 also ships with XInput 1.4

So why it isn't present is odd... but I'd recommend using the one out of Windows/System32 rather than from the DirectX9 Update. 

As I noted above, HDR will ONLY enable if you've enabled Windows HDR (System > Display > Use HDR) AND you're running in 10bit Colour Mode., which the latter you can check in Radeon Settings > Display > Colour Depth

Now as people have mentioned., you'll often find that RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4 simply will not allow you to run in 10/12bit Colour.

You will likely have to switch to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Something else I've found interesting is Windows 10 or the Radeon Drivers (not sure which isn't supporting it) doesn't allow automatic switching if your Display allows it with Input Signal Plus... this allows you to switch between SDR/HDR without manually doing so, which will dramatically improve your desktop experience; as the Windows Desktop isn't exactly designed for HDR; and thus you can get some nasty banding and artefacts when running it.

Another issue I've found with Windows 10 is that it halves your HDR Range... that is to say that the Xbox One X (and Smart TV) are perfectly fine and capable of 2160p60 with up to HDR1600, but on Windows 10 (via my RX 5700 XT) this is reduced to HDR800.

0 Likes

Is the 10 bit requirement a new AMD thing? I know I had my Polaris card running 8 bit dithering and so do my Nvidia cards. With HDR some games run better with one format vs the other. 

0 Likes

Eh... HDR is a difficult subject to delve into, because the term is so often used incorrectly. 

In regards to Modern HDR in Games., specifically it's referring to HDR10 (REC 709 ST 2048 Format) that yes, requires 10bit Colour and Fullscreen ("Exclusive") to be enabled.

Still, I'll go a little further with this because I'm sure some will have noticed a dramatic improvement in image quality switching from their "SDR" Display to a "HDR" Display even though you're using it in 8bit with Dithering. 

This is where things get a little frustrating to explain...

From most peoples perspectives, this will appear to simply provide a much more Vibrant output than their old SDR Display.

Well... that's because most SDR Displays were actually LDR., so while the LEDs were capable of the full 16.7 Million Colour Range; because of how Backlighting was typically handled, you'd actually have a reduced Contrast Range producing the more washed out LDR Output. 

As such, now you're seeing SDR how it's supposed to actually output as; well it feels like a big upgrade despite the fact that actually you're not even using the actual HDR that your Display Supports.

The problem with HDR Support however, and this is why I'd actually recommend a Smart TV with HDR over a Monitor., is that Windows 10 has TERRIBLE HDR support. 

If you have an Xbox One S/X, then I'd strongly recommend you try your HDR Display on that... Gears of War Tactics, Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 3 all have HDR Support on both Windows 10 and Xbox One; plus they're all on Game Pass.

You'll see instantly what I mean by "Windows 10 has Terrible HDR support" because you'll see what your Display is ACTUALLY capable of on that Console, because here's the kicker... AMD are the ones who designed and developed the HDR Support there, where-as on Windows 10 they have to go through Microsoft's Implementation. It's light night and day.

The same is true in regards to the Smart TV Apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. you'll see the Native Formats for HDR on there and it looks great; where-as on the Desktop, you often have to roll the Dice to see if it'll even work; and that has very little to do with the Drivers.

NVIDIA does convert most HDR into the Windows 10 ST2048 Format., but even then they also switch it to SDR (because that's all you can really do in Real-Time) thus it isn't really HDR. I dunno, it's all very frustrating when it comes to Windows 10. Microsoft really need to get their act together and allow the Graphics Manufacturers have control over the Display Output again... as they KNOW what they're doing, Microsoft doesn't. 

0 Likes

Hey thanks for the info. How all this translates into what is being seen on the TV is beyond me. 

I am connected to a Samsung TV with HDR. Albeit it is a low end mode. It does however say it supports both 8 bit dithering and 10 bit. 

I had my RX 580 hooked up to it only for a short wile but I could choose 8 or 10 bit. 

My Nvidia card however only had and option for 8 bit. I knew based on the old card that it could do 10. And I did see a difference in 8 to 10, not so much in color but in smoothness. 

So upon a lot of research and luckily someone said this in a forum or I would have likely never figured it out even though it is in the studio driver release notes. 

Only the Nvidia Studio Drivers support 10 bit HDR. The game ready only do 8 bit. I have no idea why Nvidia puts this limitation on it.

Now since using the both settings I have actually found that some games require the 8 bit or the 10 bit setting vs the other to get HDR to work. 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-3-1 

Have you tried this driver.

It's a Doom driver with added vulkan instructions.

I don't have and HDR monitor so haven't tried it myself

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

From the latest Doom patch notes

Removed AMD HDR warning message on startup (AMD has since fixed the issue with their current release drivers)

0 Likes