Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Startouze
Adept I

Dolby Access enabled on AV Receiver but not on LG TV

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with I think the AMD High Definition Audio Driver. So here is the thing : 

- I have a LG 55NANO916 TV with Freesync, 120Hz, HDMI 2.1...etc And I also have an Onkyo TX-NR545 (4K, 60hz, Atmos)

The whole thing is handled like this RX6900XT -HDMI-> LG TV -eARC-> Onkyo TX-NR545

Windows recognizes that my TV is Dolby Atmos ready, but when I want to enable it. I have the famous "Can't turn on the spatial audio" or "can't handle format".

The thing is, if I plug my laptop with a 1060. No problem, I can enable "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" and play some games or some movies with an Atmos track. Same for my Xbox so the setup is correct.

And here is the strange thing. If I make RX6900XT -HDMI-> Onkyo -HDMI-> LG TV now I can successfully enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater and play some content with it... But I lose 120Hz, Freesync...etc

Does anyone succeed to do it ? Could it be some of the HDMI 2.1 issue ? Do I need a HDMI 2.1 compliant cable ? Or just the AMD High Definition Audio Driver are awfully late ? (my AV receiver is from 2016)

PS : I join a part of the Dolby Access logs when I try to enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater

[2021/12/09 22:02:41.99][INF][LicensingService.cs+<_updateLicensesSnapshot>]::Retrieving licenses from ILicenseInfoProvider
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.00][INF][LicensingService.cs+<_updateLicensesSnapshot>]::License for DolbyAtmosForHeadphones updated
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.00][INF][LicensingService.cs+<_updateLicensesSnapshot>]::License for DolbyAtmosForHomeTheater updated
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.00][INF][LicensingService.cs+<_updateLicensesSnapshot>]::License for DolbyAtmosForBuiltInSpeakers updated
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.48][ERR][AudioEndpointService.cs+<_trySetupActiveEndpoint>]::Failed to change the default spatial format to DolbyAtmosForHomeTheater
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.48][ERR][AudioEndpointService.cs+<_trySetupActiveEndpoint>]::[AppCenter] [Application] Setting codec failed
Codec: DolbyAtmosForHomeTheater
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1008\7&1042C191&0&0001
Active codec GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
[2021/12/09 22:02:42.48][INF][AudioEndpointService.cs+<_trySetupActiveEndpoint>]::Device: 4 - LG TV SSCR2 (AMD High Definition Audio Device); requested codec: DolbyAtmosForHomeTheater; active codec: Off; returning False

So if I understand well, AMD High Definition Audio Driver returns false when  Dolby Access or Windows ask for "DolbyAtmosForHomeTheater" codec.

Best regards everyone,

Alex

1 Solution

So I've made a ticket and the solution I had was "If it works with your NVidia it's a bug" (-_-") Or "Your TV is not compatible" even if it's the same TV found on Dolby's website...

BUT the solution with the DisplayPort cable to HDMI to just transport sound worked ! I have full 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos available and working ! 

And furthermore, no latency due to ARC !

The only question I would have now is how to disable video on my DisplayPort and keep the audio, because currently I just set the resolution to 800*600 on the Display Port to save ressources. 

Best regards everyone,

Alex

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I also have an old Onkyo A/V Receiver 5.1 and I had my GPU HDMI output connected to my Onkyo HMDI input then I had another HDMI cable connected  from my Onyko HDMI Output to my HDMI PC Monitor.

It worked very well. I had 5.1 Surround Sound.

The reason why, in my opinion, your Atmos works when connected to your Onkyo Receiver directly is because the PC is seeing that the Onkyo Receiver is has enabled Atmos feature in the Receiver itself. 

The only thing that comes to my mind is that Onkyo Receiver is not detecting the TV Set Atmos as being enabled. Do you have your Onkyo Receiver configured to receive eARC signal from your TV Set?

Found this Samsung TV website that explains about eARC and how to troubleshoot it when it doesn't work correctly: https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-t...

You can probably apply the same similar steps for your LG TV.

NOTE: Yes you do need to check the HDMI cable is HEAC or HEC supported for the cable to be able to transmit correctly the Atmos signal to/from your TV set.

Hi Elstaci,

Thank you for your response,

Unfortunately on RX6900XT,  it's 1 HDMI for 3 DP and as my TV is only HDMI, it's reserved for TV only. I could try DP to HDMI cables but as they are uni-directional only, I don't think it will work (I will try anyway we never know).

The Onkyo TX-NR545 is not eARC compatible but can receive Atmos anyway from my TV (Xbox -> TV -> Onkyo setup works completely on Atmos)

And the thing is, if I just unplug the HDMI cable from my RX6900XT and I plug it to my laptop with a GTX 1060. Everything works perfectly  

I really suspect a faulty driver program. I will try the APO Driver thing.

Best regards,

Alex

Your right it does sound like either a AMD Graphics driver or GPU card issue.

You can always open a AMD SUPPORT ticket and ask them their opinion from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

So I've made a ticket and the solution I had was "If it works with your NVidia it's a bug" (-_-") Or "Your TV is not compatible" even if it's the same TV found on Dolby's website...

BUT the solution with the DisplayPort cable to HDMI to just transport sound worked ! I have full 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos available and working ! 

And furthermore, no latency due to ARC !

The only question I would have now is how to disable video on my DisplayPort and keep the audio, because currently I just set the resolution to 800*600 on the Display Port to save ressources. 

Best regards everyone,

Alex

As far as I am aware you can't disable the DP or HDMI video output from your GPU card and just allow Audio through.

You would need to connect it to a Audio only port like on your motherboard or through a PCIe Audio card.

I have my Onkyo connected via HDMI from my GPU card but with no HDMI output connected from the Receiver to my monitor.

Instead I have my GPU card connected directly via DP output to my Monitor's DP input.

Thus I get only Audio through my Onkyo Receiver and not video since I have no Monitor connected the Receiver's HDMI output.

In sound Panel you can make your Receiver as the Main Sound Device but then it will disable any sound coming from any other Audio device you have connected to the GPU card or Motherboard.

0 Likes