cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

LouisB
Journeyman III

Computer Shutting Down During Games

First of all, I apologize if my English is incorrect in any way; I'm not fluent. I'll get straight to my question/problem. I currently have a Ryzen 5 4600G, 32GB of RAM, and an RX 5700 XT. When I try to play Fortnite and more recently the game inZOI Character Studio, my computer shuts down completely. This isn't a case where it powers down but the fans keep spinning or anything like that-it shuts off entirely after the game has been open for about 5 minutes. I've already tried using a different power supply, running stress tests on the components, and testing several other games that are just as demanding, and in none of those cases does the computer shut down-only with these two games. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

Just to add, I'm using Windows 10

0 Likes
4 Replies

Sounds like a Overheating issue. What are your Computer Information?

What type of CPU and GPU temperatures are you seeing when you play those 2 games before the PC shuts down?

Normally when a PC shuts down as though you hit the "Power Button" or disconnected power to the PC could be due to several reasons:

1- Overheating hardware - probably most common reason

2- Bad Overclocking or Under clocking configurations of either the CPU or GPU.

3- Power Supply issues - Bad voltage outputs under stress.

4- Defective hardware

5-Incompatible Hardware or drivers

6-Bad drivers.

I would first try to configure both games to run at its most minimum configuration and see if it shuts down and the same on Radeon Settings.

I would download OCCT and run all three Stress tests CPU, GPU, and PSU and see if the PC shuts down during the testing keeping a close eye on Temperatures, Fan speeds, PSU Outputs.

Next I would install a previous AMD Driver that is compatible with both games and see if the same thing occurs or not. If it doesn't then that would indicate a bad AMD driver as the culprit.

Or if you have older AMD driver try installing the latest AMD driver and see if the issue occurs again.

0 Likes

I've been running the test for 6 minutes now, and my computer hasn't shut down. I'm doing the combined test with CPU+RAM and GPU. Do you think I should add anything else to make the test more complete? I don't know much about the program because it's not widely used in my country, but I used the little English I understand along with what you provided and some YouTube videos to configure it.

Screenshot_1.png

Can you post your PC information including Make & Model of your Motherboard, GPU card (If applicable), RAM installed and Windows and AMD Driver versions installed.

Does the RAM you have installed a Kit that your purchased or do you have different RAM part numbers installed in your PC? 

Yes run all 3 tests. The PSU test run both the CPU and GPU tests at the same time placing the maximum stress on the PSU.

Your 4600G Maximum Operating Temperature is 95c which means that is can run safely up to 95c before the processor starts to throttle or slow down to keep it at 95c or below.

So both your CPU (69c) and GPU (48c)  temps seems to be very good under stress from your image that you posted.

Can you download and post an image of GPU-Z to make sure your AMD Driver is working correctly?

Have you tried to run both games at Minimum settings to see if your PC crashes continue and by doing the same in Radeon Settings?

Also go to Windows Device Manager and see if there are any errors showing. It should show any errors at all.

Also run Windows DXDIAG.exe and save the copy to your PC. Then open the saved copy and go to the last Category to show you all the programs and Windows that are having problems.

Next open Windows Event Viewer and click on "Errors" and see if there are any errors concerning your GPU or CPU.

Then run this simple line command on a Elevated Command Prompt or Powershell to check your Windows OS for corruption:

SFC /scannow

Make sure Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

0 Likes
Av6o
Journeyman III

If you're experiencing issues with your RX 5700 XT, it's crucial to ensure that there is no overclocking enabled in the Adrenalin software. This includes any third-party overclocking. The RX 5700 XT is designed to operate at a base frequency of 1605 MHz, with a boost capability of up to 1905 MHz. Running the GPU at higher frequencies than these can lead to instability and crashes.

Additional Tips:

• Double-check that you're not testing the integrated graphics: If you're using a system with a Ryzen 5 4600G, make sure that when you're testing, you're not accidentally testing the integrated graphics instead of the RX 5700 XT. This can sometimes cause confusion, especially if the integrated GPU is set as the default in your BIOS settings.
  • Explain the Problem: I recently dealt with a similar issue on my system where crashes occurred during intense gaming sessions. The crashes were unpredictable, and I tried various solutions, including upgrading my power supply. However, the real fix came when I realized that the GPU was overclocked beyond its stable limits. Reducing the frequency to within the card's intended range resolved the issue for me.

By ensuring that your RX 5700 XT is running within its designed frequency range, you can avoid many of the stability issues that might arise from unintended overclocking.

If you continue to experience problems, feel free to reach out, and I’ll do my best to help!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDZyJy
0 Likes