Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

magamkv
Journeyman III

PC shuts down when Gaming

Hey guys,

so basically whenever I play video games that put my PC under "heavy" load, my PC just turns off. The Event Viewer labels it as critical and just says that Windows was booted without a proper shut down. There are no errors and no patterns that turn up before that. There's also no DMP file generated.

For example, when playing Minecraft with a Shader, within 10-15 minutes my PC just turns off. There's no restart, no fans spinning, no LEDs, just as if I powered it off.

The same happens when I play games like Helldivers 2, Fortnite and so on, when the screen gets "busy" it just turns off. I should also mention that my PC reaches 70-80°C during these moments. I have updated all the drivers, even turned off emergency shutdown in the iCue App for my Cooler. It just bugs me out, because I think I should be able to play Minecraft with Shaders with the specs I have, which are the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, 24GB ASUS TUF OC
RAM: 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR5-6000 CL40, Corsair Vengeance RGB, XMP
PSU: 1000W - Corsair RMx Series 2021 80+ Gold
COOLER: Corsair iCUE LINK H150i RGB, AIO

I'm not sure if makes a difference, but I also use carbon cable extensions.

I hope there's someone who can help me out in any way possible, I have been trying to fix this issue with no success so far.

1 Solution
stereo55
Adept II

Had a VERY VERY similar problem with my system , although I have older hardware , but a close enough equivalent to possibly help your situation :   My current :5900x  heavy oc'd  on water w/two rads w/ Sapphire 7900xtx Nitro+ , MSI x570S Tomahawk Max WiFi , 64gig 3600/16 . (Evga/Super Flower G3 850/Gold = replaced with)  Seasonic Vertex 1200 watt gold

Ok , with the same above hardware  (using the 850 wat), I was getting almost identical shut downs ( once in awhile just a black screen reboot) , which started to show up shortly after installing the 7900xtx . ~ Never had a problem at all with gaming or any type till some time LATER even with 7900xtx used for months . ~ Problem got progressively worse  . Checked every thing (software/hardware/etc) and all that was fine and max power usage was 705 watts still leaving me some headroom , but the hard boot shut downs still happened and more frequent .~ So ,  I figured easiest thing to do was up the power supply and if not the problem , eh I could use the upgrade . Was going for a 1000 watt , then said go big or go home so I donrt have worry about it for my next AMD system upgrade , so I went 1200 watt ,  and a PSU with  the newer specs . ~ BINGO ! Problem fixed with the new Seasonic ( always luved Seasonic psu's) and things have been rock solid ever since .~ My only dismay was I wanted the platinum Vertex vs the gold version , but was never available at the time of purchasing . However , the Gold version has been perfect ,  nice solid rails , super quite , and no problems ever since ; system has been rock solid with the Vertex .

I know the first things many go to as an easy fix and they say " its your psu" , but in this case I'd say the 1000 watt , with your 4090 and newer chipset etc is not cutting it for some reason (that 4090 draws alot and has pretty good spikes like most newer gpu's do and you know it does) .~ So I'd say go Seasonic Vertex 1200 watt Platinum (or even gold , but with a 4090 = Platinum .~ I know , the old psu gig replacement to cure all , but remember even with my current system with the 850 watt G3 , my TOP  power USAGE hit barely over 700 watt (710/715)) with room to spare , but the psu ,even though a very good and solid one , just was not enough to quench the thirst of the 7900xtx Nitro+ .

Sorry for the long explanation .......... 

Oh and btw , I game at 10030 x1400 with three 34" Ultrawides in EyeInfinity , no problem  (NO black screens , shut downs or reboots!!! ) 

All the best to you , and how is that beautiful 7950x3D doing ???  Its next on my list !!!! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
stereo55
Adept II

Had a VERY VERY similar problem with my system , although I have older hardware , but a close enough equivalent to possibly help your situation :   My current :5900x  heavy oc'd  on water w/two rads w/ Sapphire 7900xtx Nitro+ , MSI x570S Tomahawk Max WiFi , 64gig 3600/16 . (Evga/Super Flower G3 850/Gold = replaced with)  Seasonic Vertex 1200 watt gold

Ok , with the same above hardware  (using the 850 wat), I was getting almost identical shut downs ( once in awhile just a black screen reboot) , which started to show up shortly after installing the 7900xtx . ~ Never had a problem at all with gaming or any type till some time LATER even with 7900xtx used for months . ~ Problem got progressively worse  . Checked every thing (software/hardware/etc) and all that was fine and max power usage was 705 watts still leaving me some headroom , but the hard boot shut downs still happened and more frequent .~ So ,  I figured easiest thing to do was up the power supply and if not the problem , eh I could use the upgrade . Was going for a 1000 watt , then said go big or go home so I donrt have worry about it for my next AMD system upgrade , so I went 1200 watt ,  and a PSU with  the newer specs . ~ BINGO ! Problem fixed with the new Seasonic ( always luved Seasonic psu's) and things have been rock solid ever since .~ My only dismay was I wanted the platinum Vertex vs the gold version , but was never available at the time of purchasing . However , the Gold version has been perfect ,  nice solid rails , super quite , and no problems ever since ; system has been rock solid with the Vertex .

I know the first things many go to as an easy fix and they say " its your psu" , but in this case I'd say the 1000 watt , with your 4090 and newer chipset etc is not cutting it for some reason (that 4090 draws alot and has pretty good spikes like most newer gpu's do and you know it does) .~ So I'd say go Seasonic Vertex 1200 watt Platinum (or even gold , but with a 4090 = Platinum .~ I know , the old psu gig replacement to cure all , but remember even with my current system with the 850 watt G3 , my TOP  power USAGE hit barely over 700 watt (710/715)) with room to spare , but the psu ,even though a very good and solid one , just was not enough to quench the thirst of the 7900xtx Nitro+ .

Sorry for the long explanation .......... 

Oh and btw , I game at 10030 x1400 with three 34" Ultrawides in EyeInfinity , no problem  (NO black screens , shut downs or reboots!!! ) 

All the best to you , and how is that beautiful 7950x3D doing ???  Its next on my list !!!! 

0 Likes
magamkv
Journeyman III

The 7950x3D is doing an amazing job, I'm loving this rig so much. Thank you for the detailed explanation, I'm going to take your advice into consideration and try to get my hands on the Seasonic Vertex 1200W Platinum

Grab the psu at Amazon , just incase you decide on another unit or problem miraculously disappears (highly unlikly from your described problem) . Easy returns incase of a change of mind on unit . ~ Walmart should also have the same pricing (and I "think" 90 day return if your a Walmart plus+ member,) about $310 Plat /  $230 Gold .= both ATX 3.0 /pcie 5.0 / 10 yr  warranty or possible 12 yr warranty if registered early (30 days I think if still ongoing) . ~ 

Again best of luck to ya  , keep in touch and let us all know how things go .....  OHJ , and thx for 7959x3d info ..... I know its a killer chip ..... and Iam drooling , but going to wait it out a bit longer ,,,, HOLIDAYS maybe... ?!?!   ... 

stereo55/Jeff 

0 Likes
Av6o
Journeyman III

If you're facing crashes with your PC, I might have found a solution. I was experiencing crashes while playing demanding games like Star Citizen and MW2. My fix was to reduce the GPU frequency from the stock 2950MHz to 2500MHz, which matches the standard for the 7900XTX. Since making this adjustment, I haven't had any crashes.

If you're still having these issues, feel free to reach out—I've been dealing with this for about two weeks and this fix seems to be working.

Why I don't think it's a PSU issue:
I originally used a Corsair RM850e PSU and experienced crashes. I then upgraded to an NZXT C1200 Gold, but the crashes continued. It was only after I reduced the GPU frequency to 2500MHz that the crashes stopped.

For 4090 users:
The maximum boost (non-OC) for the 4090 is 2520MHz, so make sure it isn't boosting higher unless you're deliberately overclocking. If you have a non-reference card, be aware that they sometimes manually boost frequencies, which can lead to instability.

Helpful forums I've studied:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDZyJy
0 Likes