cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

croke
Journeyman III

choosing right components for motherboard?

motherboard vendors list supported components for a particular model. i am at loss about how to choose best component.

for example, ram modules. if several vandors are listed on motherboard model, should i search for reviews or select from users recommendations on official and unofficial forums?

0 Likes
4 Replies
baszczer
Adept III

"should i search for reviews or select from users recommendations on official and unofficial forums?"

Sure. Check the board manufacturer's website, memory manufacturer's website and various forums.

I've had memory kit that worked on XMP with asus's (x470) board and would not work with gigabyte (x570).

If you go by the Motherboard's QVL List then you know that all those hardware listed will work with your motherboard. Since it has been tested by the Manufacturer of the Motherboard for compatibility.

But as mentioned you can visit the Manufacturer website or various forums or read reviews on the hardware to see if the Hardware you are interested in is having any issues with your motherboard or in general.

NOTE: The trouble with Motherboard's QVL List they may be quite Out-Dated unless you have a new model or a model that came out last year or this year.

0 Likes

"If you go by the Motherboard's QVL List then you know that all those hardware listed will work with your motherboard. Since it has been tested by the Manufacturer of the Motherboard for compatibility."

i have always assumed they only test with one vendor, one specific model.

"NOTE: The trouble with Motherboard's QVL List they may be quite Out-Dated unless you have a new model or a model that came out last year or this year."

good to know.

0 Likes

No the Motherboard's QVL list includes many vendors and different hardware not just one vendor and one model.

If you look at your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM, as an example,  you will see many different RAM Manufacturers and their different RAM Models.

0 Likes