cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

IamHamidd
Journeyman III

Can Lenovo (or other manufacturers) limit supported SSD sizes on the AMD Ryzen SOC?

I am looking at a 2-year-old Lenovo IdeaPad 14 laptop that comes with a Ryzen 4700U processor and a matching Ryzen SoC. According to the Lenovo detailed specs listing, the maximum supported SSD size is 512GB, which seems rather limiting. I am wondering if this is just written this way because they sold this lower tier model with SSD only up to 512GB, or because they have somehow - and for whatever reason - put a limit in the BIOS to prevent larger SSDs from being installed. As far as I know it supports standard M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs of both the 2242 and 2280 variety. I don't want to buy one just to experiment with installing a larger SSD... Source

1 Reply
ChFaiza
Journeyman III

The PSREF document that Lenovo produces, so I would say that if you do not want to experiment (expensive!) that you should accept PSREF.

I have a Lenovo X1 with a 1 TB NVMe SSD drive and (a) I ordered it from Lenovo that way and (b) PSREF said 1 TB Max.

I got an M70 Desktop and it allows a maximum 1 TB for the main drive, I got one from my supplier and it is the same drive as the X1 . Webpage

So I expect the basic BIOS (UEFI) dictates what is the maximum disk drive and maximum memory. PSREF normally reports that very well.

Since Lenovo issues the BIOS (UEFI) updates, they really control the maximum size of devices.