cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Can AMD add AMD Fluid Motion Video for their RDNA graphics cards

In fact, this is a very popular feature

It has a good popularity on various websites and forums, and many users benefit from it.

I noticed that this feature is no longer available in RDNA graphics cards, so I hope that AMD will add this feature again

8 Replies
Infraready
Adept I

Yes. It is very important. It needs to be revived and OS Wide Support needs to implemented in Windows 10.
It seems to have been developed at the behest of PowerDVD, for exclusive use with their software. Since then, PowerDVD doesn't seem to be keen on supporting continued development of this really cool and unique feature. Good that this feature was added to GCN, and it has been a part of GCN over its generations.

This feature is a really cool feature, unique only to AMD. A hardware video processing filter, part of the video decode block, but using the 3D engine to compute the interpolated frames. Really cool!

BlueSky Frame Rate converter is currently the only was to practically use AMD FMV in day to day general usage. The developer has been able to extract whatver possible, even implementing a 25 to 60 fps conversion feature in it. Which is not there in FMV on its own. But he is doing it alone, by trail and error.

AMD marketing department needs to seize this opportunity, and push their advantage in this hypercompetitive marketplace where marketing has an oversized impact.

With competitors pushing improved video codec support, and AI solutions for streaming(which may be practically limited in actual value to end users), these are huge marketing wins for them. "Mindshare" matters.

This dying and seemingly forgotten feature, is a superb trump card AMD has hidden up their sleeves. It just needs software side support( integration into OS, availability as a processing filter, maybe as a part of HEVC video extensions plugin from Device Manufacturer, available in MS Store)

For Hardware side support, increasing frame rate interpolation range(24,25,30 fps to 60,75,120,144fps), support for HDR and higher bit depth. Reducing overhead and artifacts further(it is already the best in this regard)

• AMD Fluid Motion Video does work outside of specific apps, in fact it works in almost everything, if you turn it on. even windows media player supports it. 

• the issue is that RDNA seems to have sacrificed basically everything else it had to make room for DX12 Ultimate framerates. 

• Here are somethings that either don't work, are not supported, or the prerequisites for this feature are not supported on RDNA2. 

• MLAA

• Fluid Motion Video

• AMD Steady Video

• EQAA (this is the (number)xEQ setting in the antialiasing settings)

• AA methods (MSAA in general does not seem to fully work at all on it either)

• "Tessellation" (Subdivision) outside of manual application and specific tests. 

• B Frame (there is a software fix but it isn't supported in hardware, yet the older VCE encoder has it. )

• Active transcoding (maybe, the issue that the VCN has is that it is either an encoder, or a decoder, not both at the same time, Nvidia and intel have not done a unified unit at all because it is honestly quite stupid.) 

• Pixel buffers (I found this out trying to use Daz studio and getting an error that said it is not at all supported.)

• etc. 

not to mention that it seems like compared to DX12 ultimate, Vulkan now has less performance on AMD compared to how Vulkan used to compared to DX12 (before DX 12 Ultimate was supported in AMD)

I would appreciate it, as would others, if AMD stopped trying to focus all their energy on ONE software system. 

There are other APIs that are not DX12 Ultimate, Please API independent support for features without losing old yet still good and useful features such as MLAA. 

Speaking of MLAA, AMD please fix all your AA settings on RDNA2, it works on GCN4 but does not work in RDNA2, in the same software. 

I want my Roblox to not look like a mosaic. 
Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

Addendum: these issues and missing features are on RDNA3 as well. How disappointing. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

Pixel Buffers are Fixed on RDNA 3

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

AMD FMV does not care about what codec you use. You just have to have it set up properly or the application needs to support it. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
Infraready
Adept I

Yes, I want it to come back too! ASAP. Maybe in a driver update for RDNA2, or redesigned and reintegrated as a part of the RDNA3 silicon.

My previous long post detailing how and why AMD should bring back FMV was marked as spam and removed. Those were just my thoughts. :(
0 Likes

Sadly none of it made it into RDNA 3 except pixel buffers. (does AMD even read their fourms?)

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMDHARDWARE.rar ~ pixeldrain

try my config file it enables more of the hardware video encoding decoding.. but sadly it still doesnt work well with video games yet. they should both be identical and both better than reality.

(5) SPECIAL EYES - YouTube

otherwise you might need to toggle some edge browser settings and flags in the SYSTEM and PERFORMANCE section of edge browser and the adrenaline drivers you DL from AMD's web browser toggle in the system setting.. and use like edge://flags i think it was theres some choices for default renderer or rendering order and alternatives to direct3d and different methods of rasterization and many other things that might actually let your faked by fake **bleep** like intel and nvidia software actually just copy right into the hardware and 'work' for once.

0 Likes