cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

colesdav
MVP

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

I have seen this before.
They had to take the back of the laptop off and perform multiple steps to do the attack.
Well why bother attacking through Thunderbolt when you could rip out the SSD/NVMe Drives, either steal or copy them and walk off.
Once someone can physically get to your laptop like this - forget it.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

Here's an interesting laptop, though it's not outside Malaysia.

Ryzen 9 3950X

RTX 2070

64GB RAM

2x2TB Samsung NVMe drives

Professionally color calibrated panel

All for the equivalent of $3429.63.

Knock it down to 16GB RAM and 2x1TB NVMe drives, and it drops to $2444.17.

If you go down to the 3700X it drops to $1937.51.

Why can't we get those kind of boutique dealers here...

https://store.illegear.com/ares-series/223-illegear-ares-v.html

0 Likes
varkon
Adept I

For some reason, I think my previous comment was deleted, so I will re-post it, even if may be slightly out of context.

I bought the B450M MORTAR MAX precisely for the reason that it's BIOS was large enough to accommodate future products. So it pains me (both mentally and financially) to see such a blatant discrepancy in AMD's otherwise great line of products.

I sincerely hope that AMD will take into account user feedback, and adjust course on this one.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I use high-end power supplies so I tend to rip machines apart to replace motherboards when new models come out that are more useful.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I understand. I bought last August when all reviewers were recommending my Tomahawk board and the AMD site was still claiming the B450 to be FUTURE-PROOF.  At the time for 60 bucks more I could have bought a 570 and would have if AMD had either been honest or competent. The jury is out on which one of those is why AMD is not living up to its commitment. To me either way the end user was lied to. I think they should at least offer a decent rebate to older board owners toward a new board.

0 Likes

A 25% rebate on the price they paid for their 300 and 400 series motherboard to compensate for the fact it will only support 75% of Socket AM4 chips (Ryzen 1000-3000 series) sounds fair to me. I'd love a check for $67.50...

barracudax01
Journeyman III

I personally think this is a serious 'dick' move by AMD. Basically no diffidence between AMD and INTEL now.

THANK YOU FOR SCREWING UP MY CAREFULLY PLANNED UPGRADE PATH...!!!!

-Pissed off (use to be) fan

pokester
MVP

Base on history correct. However the new board from Intel will support the next CPU also, so 2 generations. If you buy an AMD board with Zen3 you will only get one generations. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

pokester wrote:

Base on history correct. However the new board from Intel will support the next CPU also, so 2 generations. If you buy an AMD board with Zen3 you will only get one generations. 

I have been testing video cards and some old cards do not work on my MSI X570-A PRO while they do work on my X470 Gaming Plus. Sure has been eye opening.

X570 & GRAPHICS CARDS – HARDCORE GAMES™ 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

This has actually been reported a lot. Go into your bios and lock the PCIe port to 3.0 not 4.0. That may help. 

0 Likes