cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

yoshemahino
Adept I

Black screen issues

I have a msi Radeon rx 5700 xt card paired with a ryzen 5 5600x with 32gb ram and a asus b550-e board and when my screen goes off from being on standby when I hit a key on the keyboard or move the mouse to wake the monitor up it just goes to a black screen. In order for me to have an image on it I have to remove the cable from the card and reinsert it. I thought it may be a hdmi cable so I changed it out even with a display port cable it does the same thing. 

this has been like this since I got it. Is there something wrong with the card?

0 Likes
8 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Things to do if you haven't already:

Make sure your BIOS is up to date on your motherboard

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your 5700xt

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com 

Make sure your RAM is installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from CPU socket) if running 2 sticks 

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

What power supply make/model?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Yes I have already done all of this. My ram is running in 8gb stick with 4 sticks. All running the same speed and type. It’s just bugging me. 

0 Likes
Cake025
Journeyman III

Observe the hard drive activity LED closely to determine if the computer is still working. If the LED is still blinking, it means the setup is probably still busy working on sorting through your files and determining what to move and what to keep. This is a good sign, which means you should wait a bit more. If the setup goes beyond 2 to 7 hours, then the setup may be stuck.

or you can also do this:

Power down your computer completely and try again. Follow these steps:

Power down the computer completely. If it doesn’t shut down, hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds until it shuts down.
Disconnect from the internet by unplugging the Ethernet cable or switching off the wireless adapter (if possible). See this post for more information on disabling LAN connections before a Windows 10 setup.
Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals from the PC. Remove external hard drives, game controllers, phone chargers—pretty much everything but the keyboard and mouse.
Remove power from your computer. Disconnect the power cord from the outlet. If it’s a laptop, remove the battery, too. Wait at least 30 seconds before plugging your computer back in. (Note: If you have the time to spare, leave the computer unplugged for up to an hour. This will help if your computer started to get overheated.)
Connect the system to power again, but leave the internet disconnected—power on the computer.
Hopefully, Windows will try to resume or restart the Windows 10 setup process.
If the installation completes normally and you get to a Windows desktop with a Start menu and everything, go ahead and reconnect to the internet to finishing downloading and applying updates.
If the setup rolls back to your previous version of Windows, try upgrading manually using the Media Creation Tool or an ISO file.

0 Likes

That is not what I am stating. I had windows 10 pro and when my pc is sitting with nothing going on the screen will turn off after 5 minutes (like I have it set up in the power settings) but when the mouse or keyboard strike the screen comes back on but it is a black screen.  

I thought it was a windows install issue so I tried to install it again with the same issues. I even did a clean install of windows 11 and having the same issue. 

but when the screen comes on and it’s black the only thing that would work is if I disconnect the display or hdmi cable and plug I back into my card then the screen will come back on. 

I hope that clears it up a bit more. 

0 Likes

Your running an RX 5700 and 5600 together.

If your running in crossfire the higher number card has to be the primary card and only download display drivers for the 5700.

I did this for a friend who was running a RX 590 and 580 and it worked perfectly.

As long as AMD GPU's are in the same family series (example RX 500 series will only crossfire with other RX 500 series) You just have to ensure the higher number card is the primary and the lower number is the discrete card)

0 Likes
ademk28
Adept I

Try to DDU the driver and reinstall it. Reply to this message if that doesn’t address the issue.

0 Likes

Sorry I misunderstood the OP.

I thought they were talking about 2 GPU's the RX 5700 and RX 5600.

Realized they meant the RX 5700 GPU and 5600X CPU.

I tried to edit my OP but the option wouldn't come up.

0 Likes

Are you using a tv or monitor? I had black screen issues before but i turned off sleep mode & changed hdmi mode & no more black screens  

0 Likes