cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

alexandre1
Adept I

Black screen after 15~40 minutes whenever a game app is open

Hello everyone! I wanna ask you for help with something that is happening to my pc.

I have a Ryzen 7 5700G, 16 GB RAM (3600 MHz).  DOCP is active.

Whenever a game app is open, the pc will freeze and I get a black screen after 15~40 mins. It doesn't matter if it is a demanding game or a simple one, as long as it's 3D. When the screen turns black i'm forced to reboot the pc using the reset button.

Stressing the components using a stress test software doesn't cause any crashes. The crashes only happen if a game is running.

Sometimes my radeon driver will show a message saying "driver crashed and was recovered" or driver timeout.

I've tried reinstalling video drivers in every way possible, none of them worked. I've also tried deactivating DOCP. It didn't work.

Has this happened to any of you too? I don't know what to do to fix it. 

Any suggestions besides reinstalling drivers?

1 Solution
alexandre1
Adept I

I updated my BIOS and now my problem is gone. I have an ASUS Rog STRIX B550F W  and the BIOS version that came with it was released before the 5700G. 

I installed a new BIOS that was released months after the 5700G and it solved all my problems. 

Thanks everyone for the attention and Help. If anyone has a similar problem, try updating your BIOS. It worked for me.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

What GPU are you running and who manufactured it (ie MSI Radeon Saphire Power Color HIS XFX ASUS)?

Im running a Power Color Demon Series RX 6900 XT even on a 240Hz 50" OLED 4K Smart Monitor it will give black screen on games if I let the target FPS exceed 120Hz. I've found that if my FPS remains below 200Hz no black screen stuttering or tearing occurs. Also ensure that your PSU is providing about 25% more power than your setup requires to provide stable overclocking headroom (usually 250 watts above recommended is best in my experience). 

Ensure that you are using direct connections from your PSU to all hardware (avoid using pigtails that come on SATA and PCIE cables) as this can cause uneven or inconsistent power flow to devices that have a high power demand.

Also there is an ongoing problem with Windows 10 and Steam Games that constantly tries to default your FPS to 29 MHz.

I finally resolved this by disabling and removing XBOX game bar and Xbox console  services from my PC. Keep an eye on all Windows updates as they will try to reset all your manually adjusted Windows 10 settings back to factory defaults. 

Finally update and reboot the firmware on your monitors and ensure this is no dirt or other obstructions in your HDMI cables and HDMI cable ports on both GPU and Monitors. Hope this info provides some useful assistance in finding or fixing your setup good luck.

Try a Clear CMOS and also look up a DIY on how to clear Windows 10 update cache. Unlike older OS Windows 10 does not store old update logs in temp folders which by default would be deleted after 30 days. Had to do this because Windows 10 had actually downloaded updates(For Windows 10 only not for any onboard hardware I have that Windows 10 function disabled)  that were creating conflicts on my systems. Turns out Windows 10has a hidden update cache and option to download updates for other operating systems and from other computers not on your direct home network. 

Once I cleared the update cache and disabled the update from other computers a lot of issues ceased. It had gotten so bad that my OS would throw an error every time I tried to download updates for Windows 10.  

Hello

Yes I've been having the same issue as well for about 2 months on and off. Microsoft have been generally unhelpful about giving me any direction as to what might be causing it.

Games like Total War: Warhammer 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and even Rimworld have had this issue for me. I'll get a frozen screen followed by a black one anywhere between 15 minutes and 3 hours into a game. I can simply ctrl+alt+del to log off and when I log back in its as if nothing happened. All other processes on my PC run just fine except from the game window that doesn't respond. I have every updated driver possible on my machine right now and even spent 2 days in the event viewer picking apart errors.

There's a lot of warning about GameDVR and other software being unable to run when im playing games, but I never figured out the source application.

This is a new PC with only 3 months on the clock and a new RX 6800 with the latest drivers. My previous PC I uninstalled all the Xbox game services on day one but on this machine I did not. My old machine never had this problem when using an RX480 and identical setup.

I've uninstalled all the Xbox game services bloatware like you suggested and I will go and try it out now. Thank you for your help!

There is no dedicated GPU. I'm using the Ryzen 5700G integrated graphics. I'll try the fixes you suggested.

0 Likes

What type of CPU cooler are you using? It could be that the CPU is overheating, and the PC shuts down to protect the CPU. Stock coolers aren't the greatest IMHO. 

Also, what's the rest of your setup? What type of case are you using/fans are you using?

0 Likes

Robert makes a valid point. High performance cooling on CPU's and VPU's is a necessity and has been for at least 20 years now.

I always use aftermarket air coolers for my CPU's always with a TDP of 75 to 100 watts above the CPU wattage.

TDP is a measure of thermal dissipation capability for heatsinks.

Say you have a 125 watt CPU you really want a cooler with a TDP of 200 to 250 watts.

Brands that I found to be very reliable are Thermaltake Corsair Noctua Zalman MSI and Cooler Master. 

Key thing to remember is your socket type for your CPU so that you find a cooler that's compatible with your CPU/APU.

Also check customer reviews on the products before you buy and it doesn't hurt to watch some DIY videos on YouTube to help you understand the process of installing an aftermarket CPU/APU cooler.

Another important matter is cooler dimensions. Make sure the cooler will fit your case without being obstructed by other hardware.

My MSI Pro Gaming Series CPU Cooler comes within half an inch of my RAM and the beast weighs about 2 pounds. I'm also running my build in a Thermaltake Kandalf Super Tower. It's massive actually 50% more internal volume than your standard ATX Full Tower.      

atmosphere
Challenger

What PSU are you using? 

I guess you are not using a riser. But otherwise plug the gpu straight in the port or switch to pcie3 in bios to test. But i assume you run the IGP. 

Also to be sure: check CPU/GPU temps with no overclock applied. 

The time it takes to crash could point to a memory issue, thermal issue or/and even a bad cooler-mount.

Suggestions:

-check temp, if slowely building up until the crash, check cooler and paste.

-reseat RAM, set it to 3200, or even defaults.

0 Likes
alexandre1
Adept I

I updated my BIOS and now my problem is gone. I have an ASUS Rog STRIX B550F W  and the BIOS version that came with it was released before the 5700G. 

I installed a new BIOS that was released months after the 5700G and it solved all my problems. 

Thanks everyone for the attention and Help. If anyone has a similar problem, try updating your BIOS. It worked for me.

healthandfoods
Journeyman III

Whenever a game app is open, the pc will freeze and I get a black screen after 15~40 mins. It doesn't matter if it is a demanding game or a simple one, as long as it's 3D. When the screen turns black i'm forced to reboot the pc using the reset button.
Stressing the components using a stress test software doesn't cause any crashes. The crashes only happen if a game is running.
Sometimes my radeon driver will show a message saying "driver crashed and was recovered" or driver timeout.

0 Likes