cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Zarious1125
Adept II

bad in-game stuttering issues with Ryzen 7 7800x3d build

Ever since I upgraded my whole platform from AM4 to AM5, I've been plagued with huge random stutters especially when playing games (it's so bad that the players look like they're teleporting). This has been going on since December and I thought I could figure out the issue, but it persists despite all the tests and updates 

My parts list is:

-AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d

-Asus Rog Strix B650e-f

-G.skill Trident G5 Neo RGB 16x32GB cl30 (model: F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR)

-Seasonic focus px-850 PSU

-Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB (boot drive), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung Evo 870 2TB

-Noctua NH-U12A Chromax black CPU cooler

-AMD Radeon RX 6900xt reference card (old GPU) -> Asus Tuf 4080 super (current GPU clean install with DDU)

So far I've tried:
-scanning my storage drive health

-redownloading games

-updating: motherboard bios, chipset driver, GPU driver, SSD version, windows update, monitor drivers (all drivers/ bios from the manufacture page)

-reinstalled Windows 11

-uninstalled AMD adrenaline & reinstalled it (same thing with Asus Armory crate)

-deleted RGB software and tested the games before reinstalling them (Lian li & Asus Aura sync)

-Turned off unnecessary startup apps and closed background running apps before testing the games

-benchmarking on 3dMark time spy & Cinebench R24

-Tested different outlets

-Lowered graphics settings

-Buying a whole new graphics card and swapping it out

-system corrupt file check with sfc /scannow

-re-plugging all the power cables, checking PSU connection, reseated CPU, reseated RAM

-tested RAM with Memtest

-turning on/ off AMD free sync premium, integrated graphics (on CPU), and resizable bar

-Tried PBO settings

-turning on and off AMD EXPO settings for RAM & checking if the specific model is on the motherboard QVL list (which it is)

-Swapped out Display port cable with new HDMI cable

Despite doing all these tests, I still can’t stop the games from stuttering. I’ve experienced stuttering on games like Halo Infinite, COD Cold Wars, Borderlands 3, and Splitgate. There isn’t any overheating, crashes, or bad internet connection yet it happens all the time with games. Sometimes the symptoms also appear when I split multiple windows on my one monitor causing Google Chrome to just freeze for a few seconds (usually when I watch a YouTube video or Twitch stream).

Currently, my main 2 suspects are the CPU & motherboard:

1) CPU is my number 1 suspect because it seems like I’ve read and directly heard/read from 3-5 other users having stuttering issues with the common similarity being the Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU and random in-game stuttering.

2) My motherboard model Asus Rog Strix B650e-f has reports of memory-related issues but the only issue I noticed is the longer startup boot times when my RAM EXPO is turned on.

I've been considering RMA my CPU since I don't plan to upgrade the CPU, but I don't know how long the process is going to take since I need to still use my computer for work purposes. The same thing can be said about my motherboard...

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do or which benchmark test to use, please tell me so I can resolve this issue ASAP.

54 Replies

When you mentioned uninstalling non-essential Windows apps, did it include uninstalling any RGB controller software and armory crate? I heard that some software (especially RGB controllers) can cause conflict with other software causing stutter. The software I'm talking about are programs like Icue, nzxtCAM, Aorus RGB, Armory crate, L-connect3, etc. (personally I only use L-connect and Armory crate controlling separate components, but uninstalling both didn't help). I've heard that some people use signal RGB because it can control rgb from all the different brands on one program, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also talking about Armory Crate, it's known to leave files scattered on the PC even after uninstalling it using the official uninstaller. Jayztwocents made a video about it and from my personal tests, it's true but I couldn't tell if there's significant improvement on stuttering (it was before I somehow stabilized most major stuttering). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPZYX5UPvM

The only Asus program I uninstalled was Aura Creator. I've used Armory Crate and iCue together for years on my previous computer with no issues but if it comes to it I'll try uninstalling them to see if it works. Thanks for the link, if I need to clean install windows again I'll make sure Armory Crate is completely removed. So far the biggest help was a clean install of Windows but I still have micro stutters in every game. I also tried to disable fTPM in the BIOS but that gave me whole system stutters instead of just games.

InnerConflict
Adept II

honestly, i had stuttering too on my 5800x and 5800x3d and back in the day on my intel 7820x system even, but for me, it just dissapears upon a fresh windows install or randomly goes away. cold war stuttered on my 3080 too. still does on the rx6950xt. but it didnt at the launch weeks. 432hz´s answer above is exactly what i would do too. i also got ftpm disabled, keep windows very clean and never do updates. i once had vsync stutter because of a faulty windows update. eventually a new patch fixed it. ftpm caused microstutters until i updated to a new bios some time ago, the fix was to simply disable it prior. its so complex. fixing stutters not related to the game code, is a pain in the arse to find a fix. i hope you can find a solution one day, but i doubt it is your hardware.

It could be Windows 11 is just not optimized for AMD's 3D CPUs yet, but it's hard to tell when the software constantly changes with every update and security update. I remember trelk022 mentioning how downgrading to Windows 10 solved their stuttering issue, but it still doesn't really show what exactly is causing the stuttering issues.

There's also news that there's an increase of people downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 despite knowing that future updates will be subscription-locked soon because they just don't like the new features or they feel like the Windows 10 software is more stable. Such as more integrated ads in Windows 11, higher RAM usage, and constantly being fixed for bugs as if the product wasn't completed when it was released.

Also, I'll be using CSGO 2 as my test game because it can consistently replicate the bad stuttering issues compared to other games that only randomly have micro stutters. I used to easily replicate the stuttering issues on COD Cold Wars, but now it's not as bad and occurs randomly. I swear the stuttering happens whenever I shoot a gun in-game causing my accuracy to drop. 

Well, I'll be going on a trip soon so I'm going to attempt to RMA my motherboard and CPU in hopes that my issues can get fixed. But that also means I won't be able to actively test and respond to this blog for a while because it just so happens that when I return home, I will be busy with work since it will be peak work season. I will also provide my RMA experience for anyone hesitant about RMA their parts which will include the submission process and overall shipping experience.

Stonaar
Journeyman III

I had this for a long time in Valheim and Lethal Company and finally found out how to fix this.

1) download and install the tool "process lasso" from https://bitsum.com/ (free version)
2) Launch process lasso and launch the game that is having lag spikes
3) Alt+tab and go to process lasso and find the process of the game you are running
4) Right click the process and select "CPU Affinity > Current > Disable SMT"
5) Alt+tab back to your game and enjoy a lag free experience

This has been driving me crazy for over a year trying to find a proper solution, so if this works for you please go ahead and spread this solution so more people can enjoy their games!

Leesa
Journeyman III

Given your comprehensive troubleshooting efforts, focusing on potential issues with your Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU and Asus Rog Strix B650e-f motherboard seems logical, especially considering reports of similar stuttering issues. Before initiating an RMA process, ensure all power connections are secure and monitor CPU temperatures during gaming. Consider running tools like Prime95 for stress testing and HWMonitor for real-time monitoring. If issues persist, contact AMD or Asus support for further assistance. Meanwhile, catch up on NBA updates and scores  here.

Aegis00
Journeyman III

maybe, just maybe. Install windows from the scratch

MrJimTea
Journeyman III

Not sure if you have resolved your issue yet, but I upgraded to a 7800x3d a couple months ago and had the micro stutter issue in games too. After trying everything you have I had gave up BUT I recently started trying again and came across a suggestion on a youtube video comments section that said to set your power plan in windows to balanced instead of high performance. Reason being something to do with power delivery spikes to the cpu with high performance enabled. The spikes timed exactly with my stutters in game and after switching it to balanced the stutters completely disappeared. I hope this works for you if you haven't got it sorted already.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's a great idea, given the alignment of the spikes and stutters.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Congrats on getting your stuttering issues fixed! I did hear about that solution, but switching to balanced mode didn’t improve the micro stutters for me when I was testing my original 7800x3d cpu. 

Zarious1125
Adept II

Small update. Long story short, finished RMA, pieced together the PC and now my system has a whole list of new issues. Currently in the process of doing RMA #2 for my cpu since it’s the only component that changed and so far they’re saying check your motherboard or other parts despite all leads pointing to the cpu. 

Had a long post about the overall RMA process, but somehow it couldn’t post on this thread. Here is a quick summary of my experience.
AMD: 

Find warranty services under the category PIB (product-in-box), quick and easy process creating ticket and sending invoice with proof of purchase, 2-3 days to get a free shipping label, 2 days to ship to the facility, ~1/2 day to inspect and ship back brand new sealed replacement, FedEx refused to deliver at times when anyone is home & doesn’t even show up on ring doorbell sometimes for attempted deliveries, they sent it back to the facility which led me to creating a new ticket, finally it reships back and arrives after they release the semi beat up package after giving a signature. (Fyi, FedEx app sucks and only partially work. The tracking message “waiting for update” pretty much means they gave up tracking it and never updates).

Conclusion: FedEx sucks…

ASUS: 
They have an RMA page where you create a ticket after entering serial number. The ticket can time out and somehow the system doesn’t recognize the serial number anymore. Had to download Myasus program to find a live chat feature to contact a representative which helped confirmed ticket info and sent details to my email. They basically give a form saying nothing is saved, they’re not responsible for any losses, and make you fill and print a report form saying what parts sent, issue, and name. You have to pack and pay for your own shipping or use “asus premium warranty” shipping which is like $25+ but you can get it cheaper on pirateship.com. Just like AMD, they took ~1/2 day to inspect and just shipped it back. This time they just sent the same exact motherboard with matching serial number. What came with the motherboard was the service repair report that just says “cannot duplicate the symptom, and update software/ firmware/ BIOS”. The other sheet is their “No Trouble Found (NTF) notification” which is just a summary of their 5 tests. Funny enough, FedEx shipped this at the exact same time as the CPU and estimated arrival at the same time but the delivery driver ignored the “required signature”.

Conclusion: quick, but not free. 

Also, the ASUS RMA happened when GamersNexus was talking about how bad the RMA service was and I have no idea if mine was before or after their “reformation”.

My current PC state:
As for my current pc state, piecing it together resulted in boot loops, failed self repair, no disk issues, but consistent desktop freeze with movable mouse that can’t click anything after 1-5min login. I thought it was corrupt OS or drivers leading to a long hardware tests, redownloading drivers, removing any potential conflicting software, every diagnostics steps (I have a long list of tests I did). I waited until prime day to get a brand new ssd which failed in the middle of the installation process. Even in the few times it succeeded, after the automatic restart step it boots into a corrupt windows 11 that guarantees a BSOD. Wiped the drive, tried installing multiple times, wiped my secondary drive, still failed. Now the only difference in the system is the “brand new sealed” cpu that came with cheaper packaging despite the same outer retail box look. I noticed they didn’t use dense protective foam and the printed color looks different. I even consulted a reputable local repair shop in which they also suggest replacing the CPU because quality check has been pretty bad for AMD, Intel, and especially ASUS. His recommendation is never get ASUS components (which a random customer on the side also agreed), avoid Intel 13th and 14th gen, and go with intel 12th if possible.

Well, if this second round of RMA doesn’t work, I might as well consider getting the recommended gigabyte motherboards. I think the b650 model that’s most often mentioned and recommended is the Gigabyte Aorus elite AX motherboard but I could be wrong. My other thought is switching to a non-3d chip model since my friend who got the microcenter bundle hasn’t had any issues with his ASUS b650e-f motherboard/ ryzen 9 7900x combo. The source of the issues could be the relatively new 3D stacking tech’s stability/ quality control or compatibility with the new DDR5 which also still isn’t in the most stable state right now. The last and final desperate option is probably just switching to a well known Intel 12900k + a new motherboard. 

I'm sorry you've had so many issues trying to get your system stable and functioning normally.  I would like to recommend an MSI motherboard.  I've used Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and they've all been good to me.  I think MSI gives you more bang for the buck.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Hello, i had the exact same issue to my Ryzen 7 7800X3D pc build for 1 year and just found the fix in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdQpVcL_a4

i hope you will at least watch. See you.

0 Likes

The 7800x3d doesnt have 2 ccd's. AKA- there is NO core parking. So, ....  either you had some other issue, or some very odd windows thing, or, only a few of you have a issue on a certain board or something going on.  That entire video, has nothing to do, at all, with a single ccd cpu. Like the ones mentioned here.

(i run/own 2 7800x3ds) 

0 Likes