cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Zarious1125
Adept II

bad in-game stuttering issues with Ryzen 7 7800x3d build

Ever since I upgraded my whole platform from AM4 to AM5, I've been plagued with huge random stutters especially when playing games (it's so bad that the players look like they're teleporting). This has been going on since December and I thought I could figure out the issue, but it persists despite all the tests and updates 

My parts list is:

-AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d

-Asus Rog Strix B650e-f

-G.skill Trident G5 Neo RGB 16x32GB cl30 (model: F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR)

-Seasonic focus px-850 PSU

-Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB (boot drive), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung Evo 870 2TB

-Noctua NH-U12A Chromax black CPU cooler

-AMD Radeon RX 6900xt reference card (old GPU) -> Asus Tuf 4080 super (current GPU clean install with DDU)

So far I've tried:
-scanning my storage drive health

-redownloading games

-updating: motherboard bios, chipset driver, GPU driver, SSD version, windows update, monitor drivers (all drivers/ bios from the manufacture page)

-reinstalled Windows 11

-uninstalled AMD adrenaline & reinstalled it (same thing with Asus Armory crate)

-deleted RGB software and tested the games before reinstalling them (Lian li & Asus Aura sync)

-Turned off unnecessary startup apps and closed background running apps before testing the games

-benchmarking on 3dMark time spy & Cinebench R24

-Tested different outlets

-Lowered graphics settings

-Buying a whole new graphics card and swapping it out

-system corrupt file check with sfc /scannow

-re-plugging all the power cables, checking PSU connection, reseated CPU, reseated RAM

-tested RAM with Memtest

-turning on/ off AMD free sync premium, integrated graphics (on CPU), and resizable bar

-Tried PBO settings

-turning on and off AMD EXPO settings for RAM & checking if the specific model is on the motherboard QVL list (which it is)

-Swapped out Display port cable with new HDMI cable

Despite doing all these tests, I still can’t stop the games from stuttering. I’ve experienced stuttering on games like Halo Infinite, COD Cold Wars, Borderlands 3, and Splitgate. There isn’t any overheating, crashes, or bad internet connection yet it happens all the time with games. Sometimes the symptoms also appear when I split multiple windows on my one monitor causing Google Chrome to just freeze for a few seconds (usually when I watch a YouTube video or Twitch stream).

Currently, my main 2 suspects are the CPU & motherboard:

1) CPU is my number 1 suspect because it seems like I’ve read and directly heard/read from 3-5 other users having stuttering issues with the common similarity being the Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU and random in-game stuttering.

2) My motherboard model Asus Rog Strix B650e-f has reports of memory-related issues but the only issue I noticed is the longer startup boot times when my RAM EXPO is turned on.

I've been considering RMA my CPU since I don't plan to upgrade the CPU, but I don't know how long the process is going to take since I need to still use my computer for work purposes. The same thing can be said about my motherboard...

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do or which benchmark test to use, please tell me so I can resolve this issue ASAP.

44 Replies

It could be Windows 11 is just not optimized for AMD's 3D CPUs yet, but it's hard to tell when the software constantly changes with every update and security update. I remember trelk022 mentioning how downgrading to Windows 10 solved their stuttering issue, but it still doesn't really show what exactly is causing the stuttering issues.

There's also news that there's an increase of people downgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 10 despite knowing that future updates will be subscription-locked soon because they just don't like the new features or they feel like the Windows 10 software is more stable. Such as more integrated ads in Windows 11, higher RAM usage, and constantly being fixed for bugs as if the product wasn't completed when it was released.

Also, I'll be using CSGO 2 as my test game because it can consistently replicate the bad stuttering issues compared to other games that only randomly have micro stutters. I used to easily replicate the stuttering issues on COD Cold Wars, but now it's not as bad and occurs randomly. I swear the stuttering happens whenever I shoot a gun in-game causing my accuracy to drop. 

Well, I'll be going on a trip soon so I'm going to attempt to RMA my motherboard and CPU in hopes that my issues can get fixed. But that also means I won't be able to actively test and respond to this blog for a while because it just so happens that when I return home, I will be busy with work since it will be peak work season. I will also provide my RMA experience for anyone hesitant about RMA their parts which will include the submission process and overall shipping experience.

Stonaar
Journeyman III

I had this for a long time in Valheim and Lethal Company and finally found out how to fix this.

1) download and install the tool "process lasso" from https://bitsum.com/ (free version)
2) Launch process lasso and launch the game that is having lag spikes
3) Alt+tab and go to process lasso and find the process of the game you are running
4) Right click the process and select "CPU Affinity > Current > Disable SMT"
5) Alt+tab back to your game and enjoy a lag free experience

This has been driving me crazy for over a year trying to find a proper solution, so if this works for you please go ahead and spread this solution so more people can enjoy their games!

Leesa
Journeyman III

Given your comprehensive troubleshooting efforts, focusing on potential issues with your Ryzen 7 7800x3d CPU and Asus Rog Strix B650e-f motherboard seems logical, especially considering reports of similar stuttering issues. Before initiating an RMA process, ensure all power connections are secure and monitor CPU temperatures during gaming. Consider running tools like Prime95 for stress testing and HWMonitor for real-time monitoring. If issues persist, contact AMD or Asus support for further assistance. Meanwhile, catch up on NBA updates and scores  here.

0 Likes
Aegis00
Journeyman III

maybe, just maybe. Install windows from the scratch

0 Likes