cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

zerone
Journeyman III

Any advice on suitable video card for mini-ITX motherboard?

I am new to the AMD CPU. With the introduction of the new 3rd generation AMD CPU, I am planning to build a system with it. Since none of them have integrated graphic capabilities, I need to add a video card to my system. Main issue is how to select a suitable video card for my mini-ITX motherboad considering the size limitation and close proximity to the edge of the motherboard. Any advice or selection guide will be much appreciated.

0 Likes
10 Replies
dacq
Adept III

There will be the Ryzen 3200g and 3400g. There might be the 3300g. Zotac.com sell short graphics cards. Are you gaming?

0 Likes
techforyou10
Adept I

Hey mate!

Your question is interesting. If you have access to Ryzen's 3rd gen cpus then use Ryzen 3400g at max!! For your first time building this is a perfectly fine processor (4core and 4 thread). Well for the graphic card depnding on your size maybe rx470 or rx560 would be fine, i think. You could go with a gigabyte or zotac built graphic cards.

#ryzen3400‌ #rxgraphics‌ 

For more tech related content visit my website 

https://sites.google.com/view/techforyousite

or twitter:

https://twitter.com/TECHForYou10

0 Likes
saywhut
Challenger

Any video card will be fine, the limitation would be the case/enclosure you decide to put it in.  Depending on the case you get, you have to see the specifications for the clearance on the video card.

qwixt
Forerunner

The real limiting factor is the case you put it in, and the airflow. Without knowing that, there's not much to really answer.

0 Likes
zerone
Journeyman III

Many thanks to all your replies. I want to try out the AMD 7nm technology but the 3400G and 3200G are still in the 12nm technology. So I shall stay away from them. I am considering the 3700X. Without the integrated graphic within the CPU and found none AMD motherboard has even basic graphic capabilities (very strange for me when compare with Intel motherboards) I need to add a graphic card to it. I want to build a small form factor unit so that I can move it around hence I am looking into the mini-ITX motherboard.

Initially my mind was set on the in-Win case and found there are lots of limitations on the choice of the video card (low profile card, single slot, low profile bracket, etc). I am not sure I have picked up everything. Hence I post the question to get your expert advices. I don't want to spend all my money to get all parts and find they don't fit.

Ever since I post the question, I dig more into the subject and found other cases, a bit bigger but will provide flexibility on the choice of the form of the video card, more importantly the required space for the AMD CPU cooler which I have doubt on the in-Win case.

I think my problem is now solved and thank you all for your advices.

0 Likes
gc9
Adept III

Mini-ITX mainboards are typically used in "small form-factor" cases.

The smallformfactor.net 'Forums' discuss the issues of finding parts that fit, such as short fans and heat sinks, and what works quietly given the limited space for airflow.  If there is a discussion for a particular case, sometimes members will maintain a list of GPUs that fit.

To avoid ordering then returning items that don't fit.  A potentially interesting idea (if you already have access to a computer and are interested in 3D CAD tools), is to find or make a 3D model of the case, motherboard, video card, fans, and power supply (if internal), etc.  Then use 3D design tools to try arranging them inside the case to see if they fit.   The 'Resources' section has collected a few contributed models, usually for the Sketchup 3d tool.  Maybe one could be used as a starting point and modified to create a similar model.

If you're looking for a list of small video cards by GPU and length, I think someone in that community keeps a Google Spreadsheet of SFF GPUs with links to specifications.

0 Likes
zerone
Journeyman III

Thanks. The small-form-factor forum is really useful. It contains a lot of different case designs to fit mini-ITX motherboards and components testing for SSF builds. Thank you for the pointer.

I do agree with the virtual assembly approach to sort out the spacing allowances in order to decide on suitable system components. Unfortunately, one needs the 3D CAD model of each of the built components, e.g. case, motherboard, water cooling system, etc. (Another problem is in the file format that one'c CAD system can import). I am not sure all component manufacturers will provide the 3D model of their products at present.

0 Likes
mcalin
Adept III

MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC WIFI AM4 ITX Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 4 Core Socket AM4 3,6GHz CPU (APU) with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics.

This motherboard has integrated graphics when used with a Ryzen 2400G processor, you will be able to play Fortnite at 1080p AT 50FPS with this system.

If this motherboard has a new bios update you maybe be able to use the new 3rd gen Ryzen CPU with Vega graphics

These new AMD CPU with Vega Graphics are fantastic, you will be impressed!

• Supports AMD® RYZEN™ 1st and 2nd Generation / Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors for Socket AM4

• Supports DDR4-3466+(OC) Memory

• Lightning Fast Game experience: TURBO M.2, StoreMI

• Audio Boost: Reward your ears with studio grade sound quality for the most immersive gaming experience

• Core Boost: With premium layout and digital power design to support more cores and provide better performance.

• DDR4 Boost: Give your DDR4 memory a performance boost with A-XMP

• Intel® Wireless support: Uses smart MU-MIMO technology, delivering AC speeds up to 433Mbps with lower CPU loading and better long-term usage.

• VR Ready: Automatically optimizes your system for VR usage, pushing for maximum performance.

• In-Game Weapons: Game Boost, GAMING Hotkey, X-Boost

• EZ Debug LED: Easiest way to troubleshoot

• GAMING CERTIFIED: 24-hour on and offline game and motherboard testing by eSports players

A lot packed in a small package, – Able to handle overclocking a Ryzen 2700X, – PCIe x4 M.2 slot, – 802.11ac WiFi

PS: i just checked, this motherboard is now compatible with the new 3rd Gen of Ryzen CPU/APU

https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

0 Likes
mcalin
Adept III

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4 Core Socket AM4 3.7GHz CPU (APU) with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics + Spire cooler

If you use the new 3rd Gen CPU you need to have the motherboard BIOS updated from the shop you buy it from, normally for an extra $10, otherwise you need any socket AM4 processor (Athlon ) or a loaner from AMD to flash the bios yourself before the 3rd Gen will install.

If you just grab a 2400g it will work immediately  

0 Likes