cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD: StoreMi Discontinued, Replacement Coming In Q2 2020, replacement detailed

This actually took effect at the end of last month. Shouldn't be much of a deal given how useless StoreMI actually is in this age of sub $100 1TB SATA SSDs, and likely all Socket AM4 users are already using a dedicated NVMe drive for their OS.

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/storemi-product-change-advisory.pdf

10 Replies

This will probably increase Enmotus profit margin temporarily when all the AMD Users that use StoreMI will be forced either to abandon StoreMI or get the paid version from Enmotus website.

But on the other hand it could also hurt Enmotus since AMD will stop using StoreMI thus Enmotus indirectly will not be advertised anymore due to StoreMI being based on Enmotus Fuze paid software.

This was from the TomsHardware article. Still, in 2020 who the heck still uses this stuff? Just get a $100 1TB SATA SSD...

jiri_charousek
Journeyman III

The technology was very interesting and for this reason we purchased a specific motherboard.But for myself I think the software was a lot of trouble. At least after my experience. 2x a fatal problem occurred in 5 months.Will the new AMD technology be free for existing users?

0 Likes

They haven't released any information about it.

I get that this was no a widely utilized technology but I don't get the abrupt end. You would think you would phase out support after the replacement is ready and proven. Just seems odd. 

farmkid71
Journeyman III

People bought 4 series boards to use this software.  Now the software has been removed and there is no replacement even though we are in the middle of the 2nd quarter.  Add this into the no Ryzen 4000 series cpus on the 4 series boards and people are getting plenty pissed off.  AMD is not making customer friendly choices here.  

You're talking to someone who bought a X370 motherboard and 1800X, over $800 at the time, and we didn't even get a cooler with the CPU, only 1 M.2 slot, the inability to use some PCIe slots due to a lane shortage, AMD blocked the ability for OEMs to attempt to add PCIe 4.0 support even though some had it working in beta BIOSs, AND the only reason X370 motherboards received Ryzen 3000 series support in the first place, which is still not official, is because AMD decided to give the support code to the OEMs so they could implement support themselves.

So if your biggest complaint is that halfway through Q2 2020 an updated replacement for StoreMI, which is still available for download and use by 400 series board owners, is not available, then you should consider yourself extremely lucky, because there are people who spent more money than you yet received much less, all because we had the AUDACITY to support AMD's first generation product.

StoreMI is not still available for download from AMD.  It may be available in other places, but AMD has said we should not trust 3third party sources.  

0 Likes

Hey just my opinion but AMD should have continued support until the replacement was ready. 

0 Likes

AMD has now detailed what will be AMD StoreMI 2.0. It is a program developed in house at AMD, and will operate as a cache system. This is the same thing SSHDs already do, where an "invisible" Flash chip is used to store a copy of the frequently accessed files. So if for some reason you have all your things installed on a single large hard drive like it's 1995, you can add a SSD and StoreMI 2.0 will copy the most frequently accessed files, like games you regularly play and Windows system files, to the SSD for faster access.

No release date was given, but it should be soon considering Q2 2020 ends on June 30th.