cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD packs HBM based Navi XT die into Macbook Pro: The Radeon Pro 5600M

This is most interesting, to me at least, because the Navi XT die, which shipped with GDDR, is now using HBM2. It makes you wonder if Vega 56/64 could have been re-engineered and issued with GDDR instead of HBM as well, especially after the packaging fiasco and price inflation of HBM2 which pushed it to noncompetitive prices.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-pro-5600m-graphics-card-debuts-inside-the-macbook-pro-with-hbm2

4 Replies

I hope that this or another chip similar to it will be available for PC. While I am sure AMD is happy to sell these to Apple and we all know Apple has risen to the top of the hill with small market share, AMD would still be very much limiting itself to only offer this to Apple. 

Awesome power for a mobile chip. 

0 Likes

A bit of an addendum to this article. If you want to fully spec out the MacBook Pro the Radeon Pro 5600M comes in, it will set you back a massive $7198.98, and you don't even get an AMD 4900HS with that, you get a previous generation Intel i9.

No word yet if they will charge $999 for a stand.

0 Likes

And 9 percent of computer users for whatever reason are happy to drink the Apple Cool Aid. Apple makes billions selling to those willing to pay their price. You gotta give em credit for appealing to a certain demographic. It sure isn't me, and I have used Macs for 30 years. They were always pricey but over decade ago a lot of the price was worth it. The prices they charge today for mediocre parts in a pretty package are insane to me. 

0 Likes

still wont give you numeric keypad on a 16 in laptop. 

0 Likes