cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD Rumored to be Launching Four New CPUs in March

“Begun, the price war has,” according to a famous swamp-dwelling eacher. On the heels of AMD’s recent announcement of price cuts for its mid-to-high-end CPUs, a new leak suggests AMD is now escalating its feud with Intel by releasing new CPUs. The rumored launch will include three new models in addition to its previously announced CPU with V-Cache, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D. This latest salvo seems to represent AMD’s latest counter-offensive against Intel, which will probably carry it through until Zen 4’s launch later this year.

There are some holes in AMD’s seven-CPU Ryzen 5000 lineup compared to the 22 CPUs Intel has released as part of its Alder Lake platform. The latest leak, which comes from Twitter user MEGAsizeGPU, via Techpowerup, includes plans to rectify this imbalance in the mid-to-low end of the product stacks. AMD has a bit of an advantage here too as it knows what Intel’s pricing is, so it’s looking to undercut Intel where it can.

For example, the rumored Ryzen 7 5700X is a new APU with eight cores and 16 threads, and it will reportedly go head-to-head with Intel’s Core i5-12600KF, which is a $264 MSRP CPU. The advantage for AMD at this price range is it can offer an embedded Vega iGPU whereas Intel’s CPU has no integrated graphics. It will be sold alongside the existing Ryzen 7 5700G, which is also an 8C/16T APU with integrated Radeon graphics, and is the company’s first Cezanne product built on TSMC’s 7nm process. However, to reduce its price somewhat it will probably have fewer PCIe lanes and less L3 cache according to Videocardz.

Next up will be the Ryzen 5 5600, which will offer six cores and 12 threads, equivalent to the $190 Core i5-12400. At the bottom of the stack is the new Ryzen 5 5500, which will go up against Intel’s quad-core Core i3-12100. The advantage for AMD here is it will be offering six cores, but as with all the rest of the unannounced CPUs, clock speeds and cache sizes are all known at this time.

Rounding out the rumor is the highly anticipated Ryzen 7 5800X3D, which we’ve covered previously. It’s the first CPU from AMD to get a big dollop of on-die cache, bumping the total from 32MB up to a whopping 96MB. AMD is targeting gamers with this updated CPU, and with the current news it’ll be very interesting to see how the company prices its first V-Cache CPU. AMD is expecteThis news comes after last week’s announcement that the company was lowing the price on its most popular CPUs. The new CPUs and reduced pricing of existing CPUs should help it compete with Intel’s Alder Lake, as well as allow retailers to clear out their inventory in anticipation for the company’s next-gen Zen 4 CPUs.d to offer this technology on future Zen 4 CPUs but we don’t know any details about implementation or availability.

Screenshot_5.png

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/332465-amd-rumored-to-be-launching-four-new-cpus-in-march

3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

The 5700X sure looks good to me, I was settling for the 5800X but if the 5700X is enough for me, that's what I'll get!

The Englishman

I'm wondering about the next WHQL driver for my RX 6900 XT.

AMD is pretty reliable about GPU updates every 3 to 4 months so I'm expecting one just around the corner.

0 Likes

I just read today that in March of 2022 AMD will release new ThreadRipper Pro processors of the 5000 Series type with the new ThreadRipper Motherboard socket.