cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD releases driver to support Graphics Hardware Scheduling, but ONLY for RX 5700/5600 series

Download link is in the release notes. As to why they're still calling it 20.5.1 Beta June 25 is a good question.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1-ghs-beta

0 Likes
15 Replies

Not sure either why they are using the month+ old version number.

More in tune with convention would be 20.6.1 beta.

0 Likes

Probably be a reason to end support on GCN ultimately. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Probably be a reason to end support on GCN ultimately. 

NVIDIA still supports Kepler so killing GCN support which includes up to Vega would ceed a larger defection to team green

0 Likes

Honestly I'm still surprised they "support" anything pre Polaris, using quotation marks since most new features are limited to Polaris and newer. I don't think they will be able to discontinue Polaris support for a while, but everything pre RX, yea.

0 Likes

My RX 480 is feature level 12 so it can handle DX titles at its intended 1920x1080.  My RX 480 at 3840x2160 shows it is far better than most give it credit for.

The 8GB VRAM is very eye opening vs a more stingy card from NVIDIA. This can materially affect game performance.

0 Likes

Although Polaris is GCN and not that different from the earlier cards. Heck Polaris supports features that the later Vega does not.  It won't however surprise me though whatever they do. 

0 Likes

There is precedent, they did it with the HD 6000 series, although if Navi cannot support all the features of DirectX 12 Ultimate, they may be waiting until RDNA2's successor to then axe support for all pre-RDNA2 cards.

The HD 6000 series are only DX11 capable. the GCN cards are redesign that both AMD and NVIDIA use to reduce design complexity

My RTX 2080 is close to RDNA2 inasmuch as it is designed for DX12 DXR etc

0 Likes
jagga
Adept II

they seem to have forgotten about support for their so called flagship pile of crap called radeon vii. i alway bought a amd card for 25 years but after my experience with radeon vii and its drivers i will never buy a radeon pos card again.

excellent point! 

0 Likes
jagga
Adept II

have been suffering with black screens since release day with radeon vii, foolishly i thought it would be fixed by driver releases.......obviously not.

I researched the new amd cards and i have come to the conclusion that no one in their right mind should buy a amd card due to all the issues.........i mean whats the point of buying a card you know will never be stable.

jagga wrote:

have been suffering with black screens since release day with radeon vii, foolishly i thought it would be fixed by driver releases.......obviously not.

I researched the new amd cards and i have come to the conclusion that no one in their right mind should buy a amd card due to all the issues.........i mean whats the point of buying a card you know will never be stable.

Have you tried with a fresh install of Windows?

I install windows clean frequently primarily to get ahead of problems

0 Likes

I know the feeling, I've had to skip months to over a year of driver releases by AMD before over the years because they would cause...let's be kind and say "undesired operation", and is a big part of the reason I went with the 2070 Super vs the RX 5700XT. AMD's software side has been lacking for -ages-, and is probably the weakest part of the entire chain, since if you do buy high end, or any card really, you have a right to expect it to work correctly and bugs quashed in a timely manner.

nVidia has their issues too of course, but their software development team is much more robust, and when was the last time you saw articles like these about nVidia being posted by reputable tech sites?

+

+

jagga
Adept II

Yes and system is rock solid stable with other cards i even fitted a very expensive brand new seasonic ultra prime titanium 850 watt psu it didnt change anything. i have dual samsung evo plus m.2 drives and i can reinstall windows very fast. waiting for 3080ti release and i will switch to green team, ijudging by their track record  dont trust AMD to release stable drivers with any new GPU.

0 Likes

jagga wrote:

Yes and system is rock solid stable with other cards i even fitted a very expensive brand new seasonic ultra prime titanium 850 watt psu it didnt change anything. i have dual samsung evo plus m.2 drives and i can reinstall windows very fast. waiting for 3080ti release and i will switch to green team, ijudging by their track record  dont trust AMD to release stable drivers with any new GPU.

It may be a few months before RTX Ampere surfaces.

I have many friends with Radeon cards and most have no problems, I know the hardware details of most of my Steam friends.

Your Seasonic PSU should be fine for saving money on power for a long time to come. 80 plus platinum will not solve driver problems.

I am using Windows 10 v 2004 which has its own peculiarities

0 Likes