cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

Well with the final naming being 5700 and 5700XT, something AMD vowed never to do again starting with the HD 3000 series, and the fact that the review sites found AMD's reference cooler to be, as usual, barely adequate, we're going to have to wait until September to find out if AMD is still relevant, with custom editions coming in August, then about a month to make sure prices won't spike up again, which AMD has shifted to "free" games to counter instead of rebates.

The really sad thing is, with the 5700 and 5700 XT now taking the place at the upper end of the mid range, places formerly held by the RX 580 and RX 590, the upper end of the mid range market has increased from $230 and $280 to $350 and $400, and they still require playing at 1920x1080 to hit minimums of 60fps in many games. That's not a great thing for a company which, according to the Steam Hardware Survey, commands less than 15% of the market compared to nVidia's 75%...

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Well, they changed the shroud a little bit on the 5700XT, so that it looks damaged or dented. The performance per dollar still favors AMD, according to the one review I watched.

I don't see the market share changing anytime soon. As far as I am concerned, I wish I never switched back to an Amd GPU. I picked a freesync monitor that doesn't work so great with NVidia as it has very slight stutter, while being much smoother with Amd. I should have just paid the gsync tax, and stuck with NVidia's overpriced products. It's amazing how Amd fails at the simplest things like getting profile loading to consistently work. So now I must use Afterburner, just to remove that aggravation. Then there's the 1 minutes shutdown time. Sorry didn't mean to turn this into an amd rant

I will say that I think amd does older game compatibility better than nvidia.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

And that's the biggest reason why AMD's pricing on Radeon is a massive mistake. For people with nVidia cards, which is the vast majority of the market, there is no reason to choose AMD over nVidia, and for people with AMD cards, as well as people who prefer nVidia cards but currently use AMD, there is little compelling them to stick with AMD since the pricing is so close. That's why the 5700 and 5700XT needed to launch at $250 and $300, not at the prices they did with a valueless 3 month XBOX PC subscription. That's what they did with the Radeon HD 4870 and is what brought AMD back against nVidia for a time, if they would have priced it directly against nVidia's counterparts, it would have flopped, but they didn't, which is why it succeeded.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It looks like it melted from heat. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It honestly surprises me the HD 5970 never had this happen, that thing would get about to the melting point of tungsten...

See the source image

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I have a 3 fan cooler on my HD 6970 which keep it as cool as a cucumber 

The blower fans are not as effective in practice and they howl which I also dislike

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It's amazing they are still using a blower design on their reference cards. NVidia has not in years now. AMD has gotten lambasted for it in their last few generations. It is obvious consumers don't want them. Apparently they feel it is still cooler on some systems. I have seen several 3rd party test sites prove this wrong before. They are never cooler even when no other fans are in the computer than a GPU and power supply in the set I saw. To me it's one of those things that would likely not change the price of a card by more that 10 bucks to implement and be well worth it. If you want to do a single fan solution also then do the compact card that is an extra slot wide. 

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

pokester wrote:

It's amazing they are still using a blower design on their reference cards. NVidia has not in years now. AMD has gotten lambasted for it in their last few generations. It is obvious consumers don't want them. Apparently they feel it is still cooler on some systems. I have seen several 3rd party test sites prove this wrong before. They are never cooler even when no other fans are in the computer than a GPU and power supply in the set I saw. To me it's one of those things that would likely not change the price of a card by more that 10 bucks to implement and be well worth it. If you want to do a single fan solution also then do the compact card that is an extra slot wide. 

Lots of people besides me have objected to the blower design

Go ask EVGA, very few cards come with a blower now...

many cards are now short one fan units but that is par for my GTX 1060 etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I have two theories on that. One is that, being a reference edition, most people that buy them are either stupid or are going to liquid cool them. Two is that the major reason for buying a custom board is for their cooler, so if AMD's reference cooler actually worked decently, people wouldn't want to pay the price premium.

Personally I want reference liquid cooled cards again for the acoustics.