cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

AMD missed analyst estimates on their stock and lost 5% of their value overnight, now down over 7% since their earnings were revealed. Considering CPUs have been selling like hotcakes, it has to be Radeon collecting dust on the shelves. AMD lumps Radeon in with CPU when reporting earnings, so we can't tell what they're hiding. AMD's pricing strategy is not working for them, and RTG is in such a state they can't fix it. nVidia' s down too, but their stock is still over 4x as valuable as AMD, and they're posting record profits so their casualty is due to the sinking stocks due to the coronavirus (supposedly), whereas AMD had a major selloff right after their earnings reveal.

NVidia lost about half their value after the disastrous Turing reveal, and are only now regaining that lost value.  Regardless, in the past calendar year, NVidia has gained 64% in share value.   AMD meanwhile, even with the current dip is sitting at an almost 96% share increase in the same time period.  So as an investor, AMD's performance outstripped NVidia by a significant margin.  And this in a year when NVidia was only selling what was regarded as heavily overpriced GPUs.  But I guess, if your primary competitor just prices GPUs identically, there isn't much to worry about.  

Hopefully Intel will eventually do something to inject some actual competition back into this market, but who knows when that will be.

0 Likes

Yes that is very true but what is today can quickly change and the less stable a company has been over time the faster they can fall in the market. Several articles have come out saying that AMD's stock is probably overvalued right now. It would not take much for those numbers to tank. I certainly hope it doesn't just saying that Intel or Nvidia can take a loss that AMD can't.  Plus it isn't the percentage of increase in stock that means anything anyway, sure its a nice metric but it is the cost per share that means most. Green traded today at 236.43 and Red at 47.00. 

I would very much guess though that this next gen from team green will very much lower the gap in manufacturing cost between the two. 

Bottom line is AMD is not doing what they used to do well and that is a similar or better card at a lower price. 

Instead they are going toe to toe with the green team and unless they fix their issues and have a parity product that is a big mistake IMHO. 

0 Likes

"Plus it isn't the percentage of increase in stock that means anything anyway"

That is an extremely interesting statement in regard to investing.  The percentage increase, is ultimately, the only thing that matters.  If I purchased $5,000 worth of shares in AMD one year ago, those shares are now worth $9,800.  If I purchased $5,000 worth of NVidia shares, they are now worth $8,200.  The growth or lack there of in share value is the only thing that generates a return on investment

"sure its a nice metric but it is the cost per share that means most."

So, If I bought NVidia stock on 9/28/2019 at $281 are share as Turing launched, today i would have a -14.6% return on investment.  Buying AMD in that same time frame yielded a 56% gain in investment.  But the NVidia shares were worth more the entire time, so I'm better off as an investor?

"Bottom line is AMD is not doing what they used to do well and that is a similar or better card at a lower price. "  

The bottom line is this.  What were AMDs share prices when they were operating that way?  I'm sure investors weren't pleased about the returns they were seeing.  AMD is becoming more like NVidia, because when they made great GPUs at lower cost, they did it to win over consumer mindshare and install base.  Didn't work, and users just bought NVidia anyway.  So now, they might as well price their GPUs on the same price performance curve and let the consumer just buy the best GPU they can afford.  Whether AMD or NVidia, you'll be on the same curve performance/$ wise.  Probably the smartest thing they could have done after NVidia removed Freesync as a differentiator.

0 Likes

Interesting bit of news from the Intel camp today: 3DMark results. Intel Xe DG1 is up to 40% faster than the 7nm Vega GPU in the upcoming Ryzen 4000 series APUs. That's an interesting result considering Vega has been refined multiple times, and Xe is still quite deep in development and optimization. Hopefully someone at RTG will take this as their "OH S**T!" moment and start pricing in terms of this reality and get their software up to snuff before mainstream Xe gets to market, because this surprises the heck out of me that the mobile variant (Tiger Lake, far right) is able to perform so favorably to the 4700U.

https://www.wccftech.com/intel-xe-dg1-gpu-benchmarks-leak-40-percent-faster-than-amd-7nm-vega/

That has ultimately been the goal though for Intel to eliminate both AMD and NVIDIA from laptops. If they release a good product and the drivers work Intel will recover from it's recent woes very quickly. Cant wait to see what the stand alone graphics card they release does. 

0 Likes

Intel will have to redesign their core ALU to death once and for all the problems that hyperthreading introduced.

That will take time, so meanwhile AMD is grabbing some market share

0 Likes

And for some additional new information about "Big Navi". An unknown AMD GPU has just passed the Korean RRA Certification, and considering there is no other low end card to go, AMD released the previous Navi cards about 1 month after getting certification, and March 5th's investor call is about a month away, it looks like AMD may push Big Navi out sooner rather than later. If it's RDNA2, then this should be the foundation of the later this year refreshes that Lisa Su talked about. If it's RDNA1...Then it's going to be a dust collector.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/big-navi-release-date

black_zion wrote:

And for some additional new information about "Big Navi". An unknown AMD GPU has just passed the Korean RRA Certification, and considering there is no other low end card to go, AMD released the previous Navi cards about 1 month after getting certification, and March 5th's investor call is about a month away, it looks like AMD may push Big Navi out sooner rather than later. If it's RDNA2, then this should be the foundation of the later this year refreshes that Lisa Su talked about. If it's RDNA1...Then it's going to be a dust collector.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/big-navi-release-date

I saw that on twitter earlier but it did not make sense as to what they were approving

0 Likes

It's official today. AMD launched their new Raise The Game promo, and the RX 5600XT is NOT a qualifying card. Note that Warcraft III Reforged is so terrible Blizzard is handing out refunds no questions asked, Ghost Recon Breakpoint has abysmal reviews, and Resident Evil 3 will not even be available for 2 more months, so the amount of value that these "free games" add is extremely subjective.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

None of those games would sway me to buy. I would much rather just have the card be cheaper with no games. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

None of those games would sway me to buy. I would much rather just have the card be cheaper with no games. 

Lower prices stimulate demand. Cutting prices by 40% would get a lot more attention and a big upswing in sales.

0 Likes

The question is why would you buy any AMD GPU right now, or even nVidia for that matter, unless you absolutely had to? AMD's and nVidia's new cards will be out in 7 months or less, and AMD will add ray tracing and "be disruptive" (whatever that means) while nVidia's cards will be on the order of 50% faster than current models. Would be different if we were talking about RX 5700XT and RTX 2060 Super for $200, but with prices double that, or higher, they're just too high when a much better product is a short time away.

black_zion wrote:

The question is why would you buy any AMD GPU right now, or even nVidia for that matter, unless you absolutely had to? AMD's and nVidia's new cards will be out in 7 months or less, and AMD will add ray tracing and "be disruptive" (whatever that means) while nVidia's cards will be on the order of 50% faster than current models. Would be different if we were talking about RX 5700XT and RTX 2060 Super for $200, but with prices double that, or higher, they're just too high when a much better product is a short time away.

Clearance prices would be slashed in retail. AMD and NVIDIA have not discovered that yet.

My RX 480 8GB is still working so I am not very motivated with high prices to do anything. Video cards are durable goods, so they tend to be replaced in longer cycles than new products that surface annually.

Apple has the same problem, legions of existing users are not all flocking to get new ones because Apple has a new phone every September.

I took economics in school so I have a better understanding of the ideas of supply and demand.

0 Likes

Prices for what AMD offer need to drop.
Reference and AIB partner GPUs need to be better designed and engineered.
AIB cards need to be launched and available to buy within a month of the reference cards. 
Working stable drivers with a sensible and working GUI/UI to control the GPU on Windows and Linux.
Older GPUs need to be supported longer and not dropped as soon as a new one launches.
Need to stop simply removing features like independent Global / Local FRTC or tieng them to Chill_Max w/o asking users about it first.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Prices for what AMD offer need to drop.
Reference and AIB partner GPUs need to be better designed and engineered.
AIB cards need to be launched and available to buy within a month of the reference cards. 
Working stable drivers with a sensible and working GUI/UI to control the GPU on Windows and Linux.
Older GPUs need to be supported longer and not dropped as soon as a new one launches.
Need to stop simply removing features like independent Global / Local FRTC or tieng them to Chill_Max w/o asking users about it first.

I have most of these features all turned off

0 Likes

Don't forget the need for designating one or more RTG employees as community liaisons in this forum. They do it on Reddit but not their own community forums?

AMD has altered the Raise The Game bundle and REMOVED Warcraft III Reforged. The only card to have been eligible for it was Warcraft III anyway.

Asus RX5700XT models (Reference, TUF Gaming OC, STRIX OC) are advertised with "48 hour replacement" on one site I visited today. I had not seen that one before. Seems an unusual thing to advertise.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Asus RX5700XT models (Reference, TUF Gaming OC, STRIX OC) are advertised with "48 hour replacement" on one site I visited today. I had not seen that one before. Seems an unusual thing to advertise.

that is very peculiar

0 Likes

Came across this article the other day. Apparently ASUS discontinued the original 5700/XT TUF Gaming cards because of, well, self destruction, and replaced them with TUF EVO Gaming models which feature a number of improvements, including a totally new heatsink design, a 2.7 slot design, higher clocks, and a 144 hour validation period. TechPowerUp's article states ASUS will be pricing these the same as the previous non EVO models, so $420 for the XT and $380 for the non XT, going by Newegg's pricing.

Funny though, on the ASUS product page, they are targeting this card at 1920x1080...

https://www.wccftech.com/asus-revises-the-rx-5700-and-rx-5700-xt-series-tuf-gaming-graphics-card/

https://www.techpowerup.com/263454/asus-revises-rx-5700-series-tuf-gaming-with-axial-tech-fans-and-new-heatsink-underneath

OK that must be the reason then... Thanks, New 2.7 slot coolers for those new ASUS cards.
Expect Big Navi will be Big and need 3.7 slots then?
I simply do not know how Palit can make an RTX2080 OC in an air cooled  2 slot form factor that still beats the best of the RX5700XT and never crashes and takes out my PC.
The 48 hour replacement is just for ASUS 5700XT and 5700 cards and just for the original - non EVO versions.
Comically the ASUS cards advertised on that site are still the most expensive of the lot.
ASUS should probably have just done a product recall and free replacement.

I can see Big Navi being liquid cooled only, like the Fury X, with maybe one or two air cooled options...And such an exorbitant price as to make it inconceivable to purchase.

0 Likes

3 slots is a lot to give up. New boards in many cases at least at the ATX size are designed to allow for 2 slot spacing. Smaller boards vary. More however than the size is just the heat factor itself. I don't think I will ever want to put another toaster under my desk. Going from my RX 580 that I literally had to have small desk fan blowing into my case to keep it cool then going to my new other team card that I can game on for literally hours and never notice a temperature change under the desk is very nice. So to me regardless of the price or how many slots it takes up, the deal breaker for me is the heat. 

0 Likes

I imagine it will perform similarly to the THICC III. which has a similar sized cooler.  That card stays cool and quiet, almost on par with the Powercolor EKWB model for $200 less.  None of the XT variants are power efficient though.  It isn't Vega bad, but it is pretty bad. 

Aye, anything over 2 slots and you start running into airflow restrictions if there's a card below it which leads to higher temperatures and/or noise levels for any decently high TDP card. I do lament the reputable review sites don't do a thermal and acoustical test with a card in the slot directly below it, be it a WiFi card or NVMe adapter card, something to restrict airflow like you would see in the real world. It's also the main reason my next card will be liquid cooled unless a card of the power of the 2070 Super can be made for under a TDP of 175w, which seems increasingly likely for nVidia as the 2070 Super is only 215w (reference) already, not sure if AMD can do it with RDNA2.

black_zion wrote:

Aye, anything over 2 slots and you start running into airflow restrictions if there's a card below it which leads to higher temperatures and/or noise levels for any decently high TDP card. I do lament the reputable review sites don't do a thermal and acoustical test with a card in the slot directly below it, be it a WiFi card or NVMe adapter card, something to restrict airflow like you would see in the real world. It's also the main reason my next card will be liquid cooled unless a card of the power of the 2070 Super can be made for under a TDP of 175w, which seems increasingly likely for nVidia as the 2070 Super is only 215w (reference) already, not sure if AMD can do it with RDNA2.

I have lots of large fans to hande airflow. I have seen some 2.75 slot cards and I dislike them as they use too many slots.

I have a Wi-Fi card below my RX 480 in an x1 slot so a thicker card would defeat the purpose.

I have a SATA controller in the bottom slot to handle more hard disks,

0 Likes

If I want to use MultiGPU for Blender rendering the cost of > 2 slot high GPU is far too much.
I lose at least one card and in some motherboards and cases it means I could only fit 1 GPU instead of 3 x 2 slot wide GPUs.

AIO watercooled GPUs are a problem because most PC cases do not allow for an easy way to move the AIO Radiator outside of the PC case.

Handling more than one AIO GPU in a PC case is very difficult. 

I only purchase 2 slot non blower dual fan air cooled GPUs now and try to keep max power consumption ~ 200-220 Watts.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

If I want to use MultiGPU for Blender rendering the cost of > 2 slot high GPU is far too much.
I lose at least one card and in some motherboards and cases it means I could only fit 1 GPU instead of 3 x 2 slot wide GPUs.

AIO watercooled GPUs are a problem because most PC cases do not allow for an easy way to move the AIO Radiator outside of the PC case.

Handling more than one AIO GPU in a PC case is very difficult. 

I only purchase 2 slot non blower dual fan air cooled GPUs now and try to keep max power consumption ~ 200-220 Watts.

I have seen some EVGA cards with a water cooler attached. If the power load is that bad, then going whole hog with water is one route but I have seen so many rigs fried from leaks that motivated to use the HAF 932 solution. BIG fans work.

My RX 480 8GB is typical of the cards I use, dual slot, dual fan. Lately some uppity cards are using triple fans to cool longer cards. My HAF 932 is EATA so these giant cards will fit.

Rendering in Blender is definitely an issue for most who want to get things done like yesterday. Blender seems to be happy enough with my RX 480. Probably could be 50x more CU to perk up rendering.

0 Likes

Thankfully I thought ahead, and got the Corsair C70 case (one of the best cases EVER, hate it's discontinued). I have my 280mm Corsair H115i mounted on the top drawing in outside air, and have space for a 120mm radiator on the rear as well as a 120mm or 240mm radiator mounted on the back of the drive cages.

But thankfully node shrinks are coming fast and quick these days. nVidia's going to 7nm which should do wonders for them, AMD is going to 7nm+ EUV which should trim 10-20% or so off theirs combined with RNDA2 improvements, 5nm will be ready by the second half of this year and is what Zen 4, and hopefully new AMD architecture, will be based on in 2021/2, and presumably there will be a 5nm+ node in 2022/3 before 3nm hits in 2024/5.

It really doesn't seem like processes advanced as fast as they did, but really I guess it's just because it's been ages since CPUs have gained so much power every generation. GPUs...has yet to be seen, so processes were not really at the forefront. I imagine we can also thank the explosion of cell phones and IoT devices for the demand for tiny, efficient, cheap processors as well.

Too much market BS for my tastes.

A better metric, number of transistors per square mm

Using that as a guide, devices from about 55nm and down are not following the per square mm as would be expected

most of the gains are with better designs, the trigate design has worked ok but the feature sizes are lagging

0 Likes

WCCFTech put out an interesting article today about something only investors would look at. AMD's credit sales, things they haven't been paid a dime for yet, noted as "accounts receivable", grew 50% over the past year, and account for $1.859 billion of their declared assets, or 40% of their total. While the money amount isn't a flag, the fact it grew 50% in a year can be as the market expects AMD to average 44% free cash flow growth per year over the next 7 years. Looking at these two facts really shows how imperative it is for the GPU division to succeed especially in the professional sector, where they can shift hundreds to thousands of high margin units at one time.

Another disturbing fact is that another benchmark of Intel's Tiger Lake has emerged at Sisoft Sandra showing it to be about as powerful as the PS4's APU. While this may not seem like a big deal at this point and time, when it comes time for console refreshes, there's little doubt Intel will be in the discussion, and little doubt they will be willing to take a loss in order to land one, if not both, consoles, which will hamper AMD's future growth.

https://www.wccftech.com/amd-credit-sales-grew-50-in-2019-current-price-justified-only-by-astronomical-44-growth-over-next-seven-years/

https://www.wccftech.com/intel-tiger-lake-cpu-powerful-gpu-leaked-ps4/

Here's an article on that very topic. The AMD Radeon Instinct MI100, if its naming convention holds true, will offer only 100 TFLOPS of INT8 performance, which translates to 12.5 TFLOPS FP64. The Ampere based cards from nVidia will be using in Big Red will have on the order of 18 TFLOPS FP64. The TDP is also 200w. This will be an absolute disaster if the end product performs this poorly compared to Ampere, and exactly the kind of disaster AMD doesn't need at this time.

https://www.wccftech.com/amd-radeon-instinct-mi100-arcturus-gpu-32-gb-hbm2-200w-tdp-rumor/

FrameView gives a breakdown of power used on Nvidia GPUs.
You can download a version from Nvidia Website.
I will not post the link here but it is easy to find.

0 Likes

"The percentage increase, is ultimately, the only thing that matters."

Most people don't buy stock and sell it a quarter or a year later. Most invest for a long time. I said the the trading value means most over time as meaning a more secure stock. The AMD stock has yet to prove itself in that way. Many a person has gone broke investing in a stock that jumps up then suddenly tanks. So a percentage increase is not the only metric that counts and I have never seen any broker suggest that it is, unless it is sustained over a significant amount of time. If in 3 years from now that stock has kept its value or more importantly consistently risen then it becomes something I would more likely trust to likely at least stay the same or get better. Unfortunately the opposite is true this company has been near complete ruin many times. You invest for the long haul but again anyone can do whatever they like, but that can be a very costly thing to do. It's awesome if that works for you. Traders dream of being able to do that. Quick trades are like putting your money in a slot machine. They may pay off once in a while but ultimately you are more likely to lose. That being said if you can afford to lose the money you invest then by all means do so. That is how many make the big pay days. I invested in Apple back in 1992 when it was almost bankrupt not much didn't have much back then but my stock is worth a lot today. I got lucky that Steve Jobs came back and things really changed. I however only invested what I new I could afford to lose. 

Now if you want to treat it as gamble and realize the risk then yes high risk investments can sometimes pay way better. It's always easy to look at past numbers to prove your point however you invest for tomorrow not yesterday. You can always find a scenario where if I had done this I would be rich. However that rarely ever happens for anyone. Most investors would tell you though if you are going to need that money and can't really lose it then to balance you investment across long term proven stocks. 

I'm just saying I would not consider AMD's stock at this point proven to likely only go up. Especially when so many analysts say it is over valued and they know more than me. I am very glad AMD however it is doing much better as the company might not even be here right now had it not. 

Now NVidia did not have a great year last year being compared to prior years. As you already illustrated. If they were to have another bad year next year and the next, I don't think I would be investing more with that stock either. Bottom line is the short term just usually doesn't mean much in the market. 

If you are only investing for the last year then yes AMD stock would have made you more in the last year. If you bought 20 years ago then the Nvidia stock would have made you a lot more than the same 20 year investment in AMD. 

0 Likes

If you want to play percentages, AMD's sock has increased ~24x in the last 40 years, while nVidia's stock has increased ~152x in the last 21 years. Also, AMD's stock history shows a three major crashes with numerous minor fluctuations until Ryzen was released, which brought the value back up to what it was about 20 years ago. nVidia's on the other hand had been relatively flat for many years followed by a massive spike, a sell off, and then a rebound trend which is projected to match or exceed its previous high.

For the average investor or investment company, AMD would have been categorized as a medium to high risk, and I imagine quite a number of people lost a lot of money following the 2005 crash from $40 a share to $2 a share. nVidia on the other hand was a low risk stock, maintaining or slowly growing its value for the first 15 years followed by a massive spike. AMD was basically an uninvestable stock for over a decade as values dropped under $2 and there were even rumors of Dell buying the company.

Over the last 20 years, nVidia would have netted you a -much- greater return than AMD, as their price in 2000 on Jan 31st was $3.19, and AMD's on the same date was $18, so you would only have a 2.7x ROI for AMD, whereas you would have had a 75.34x ROI from nVidia...

0 Likes

Has anyone tried Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 yet?

0 Likes

Nope, no "complete UI overhaul" or any UI tweaks mentioned on the release notes, so I'm sticking with 19.4.3.

"Most people don't buy stock and sell it a quarter or a year later. Most invest for a long time. "  

Well "most people" don't invest at all, because they are in debt and don't have any money to invest.

But beyond that, any data to support this?  I know short selling has become a bigger and bigger thing.  With Wall Street using computer algorithms designed to make trades in a fraction of the time it would take humans to make it.  Do most people who invest, even do their own investing?  Do they use a wealth management group?  Does that group do long term investments or the short selling algorithms I mentioned?  How many people actually know?

"If you bought 20 years ago then the Nvidia stock would have made you a lot more than the same 20 year investment in AMD."

It seems like now we are pivoting the discussion to risk management which is a different topic altogether. My point is, without a percentage increase of any kind a stock is worthless to an investor.  Whether that is incremental increases over a long period of time, or rapid in the short term, the increase in value is the only thing that ultimately matters, because that is what generates the revenue.  So going back to the statement

"Plus it isn't the percentage of increase in stock that means anything anyway"

Yes it does.

"sure its a nice metric but it is the cost per share that means most."

No it doesn't.  A stock at any valuation that doesn't grow is worthless from an investment perspective.

0 Likes

You seem to be looking only to argue and there really is no place for that here. Everything you said either twists what was said or rehashes a comment you already picked apart and I already tried to explain what I am saying. I have not pivoted anything. You seem bent on proving some point that only you are right. Most people means most that invest. Not sure why you twist words from what is said into your perception. Obviously most people in general do not invest beyond what they put in a 401k and you have limited choice in most cases how that allocates. You are absolutely missing the point of what a stock does over time. Investing over time is how most actually make money in the stock market. Investing in stock that quickly rise and don't prove themselves over time is very risky is all I said. I never said that AMD stock isn't worth more today than it was or anything like that. Yes a stock has to increase in value which is measured in percentage gain for it to make you money. All stock unless you are willing to throw your money down the toilet involves risk management. That is all I was saying is it is smart to assess if a stock is proven over time before investing not just what it has done in the last couple quarters and you seem to want to blow that out of proportion into some big argument that only you can be right about. People have a right to their own opinion, especially when they are really saying two different things in aspect to the conversation, which you fail to get. I could care less how you spend your money. You can invest in in any way you like. I hope you make a million dollars investing in AMD. For me they are not worth the risk. If I was 30 years old I might risk a little money in that investment too, but it isn't worth the gamble to me. Honestly I wouldn't invest in either team red or green. They are both too risky for me. You have your opinion and I have mine leave it at that. Or are people not entitled to their own opinion in your eyes?

0 Likes