cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

har665
Journeyman III

A possible Solution to: Black Screen on game launch - game can be heard still running.

I have a possible quick fix if you experiencing the same issue.

Situation:
Games often launch to a black screen. The game can be heard running, and the computer IS responsive to Task Manager etc. Video signal sometimes returns for a few seconds in game then goes black again.

Circumstances:
Doesn't usually occur after fresh startup/ restart, but if the display has been asleep- the issue occurs.
Further: my particular display exhibits an issue where I get a short stutter every 1 second after the display comes out of sleep - this occurs under the same circumstances as the black screens I get on game launch. I mention this because the solution solves both problems, and I believe they are linked. 

Solution:
-Power cycling the monitor (off and on) AFTER SLEEPING resolves this issue for me.

-After cycling monitor off and on; I can see that the stutter has gone away. When games are launched in this state: No more black screens. 

- I have previously used this method to alleviate the "1 stutter per second" issue, and have since noticed that the black screens occur whenever this stutter is occurring. I believe the stuttering is caused by the display losing freesync signals while asleep, and continually (and unsuccessfully) trying to re-initialize after waking up, and the black screens are possibly caused by this attempt to reinitialize freesync. 
- This may be a monitor issue (MD21473) I had the same stutter with VEGA 64, but the black screens have only occurred since 6800XT.

0 Likes
0 Replies