cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Slapstick2244
Journeyman III

7900 XTX black screens and no display after hard reboot

Long story short I've had this pc for about a month and from day one it has black screened playing certain games. I haven't been able to fix it so far. Usually it reboots after black screening, a few times I've had to hard reboot and one time the drivers weren't recognized. But now I'm getting no display even after unplugging and replugging everything etc, it's been like this for 3 days until today where I managed to get a whole 15 minutes of usage before the cycle restarted.

A few more things. I'm using the latest drivers (Starfield also black screens), updated BIOS, turned MPO off, disabled windows updates, turned some settings off in adrenaline and have reseated the ram and gpu a few days ago to no avail. I haven't overlocked or undervolted or anything like that either. Resetting the bios isn't working (tried 4 or 5 times now) as it's still showing the updated version on the few occasions I have managed to get a display

Also I'm not sure if my psu is sufficient enough but pc part picker said it was fine so I went with it.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi ATX AM5

BIOS Version: 7E12v14

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5-5600

PSU: Be Quiet 850 W

Case: Thermaltake Ceres 500 ATX

Operating System & Version: Windows 11 Pro

GPU Drivers: AMD Adrenaline 23.9.1

Background Applications: Steam, Edge, DS4 (only when using my ps5 controller).

1 Reply
MeistrTea
Journeyman III

Hey Slapstick2244,

I am having the exact same issue. My computer monitors both go black and my driver fails. After rebooting I can usually disable the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT and then enable it and it will recover for a random amount of time. It got bad to where it would only last 5 minutes or less. I have done the same steps as you except I also re-installed Windows 11. After the re-install of Windows 11 it lasted for almost a week before doing it again. 

Here is the Event Viewer log that has me curious:

The description for Event ID 2 from source AMD_ANR_BG_PROC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

AMD_ANR_BG_PROC
Function: ret=0 size=2 called.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Specs below:

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 Processor 7900X 12-core/24-thread 4.7GHz [Turbo 5.6GHz] 64MB Cache AM5 [+46]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+88]
HDD: 2TB Kingston SNV2S/2000G SSD (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3,500/2,800 MB/s (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (16GBx1) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Team T-FORCE DELTA RGB)
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock B650M-C AM5 Micro ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 1GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16, (3)M.2, (4)SATA CEC
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XT 20GB GDDR6 Video Card (Single Card)

0 Likes