cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

tokiyorio
Journeyman III

5700xt's dynamic frequency and Apex Legend's dynamic resolution are not getting along. A lot of stuttering. Is it just too many dynamic things?

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. My best guess is that they're kind of working in opposite directions:

5700xt is adjusting frame times based on workload... but Apex Legends is adjusting workload based on frame times.

I feel like in quickly changing complex scenery, these two could get out of sync.

My setup is Ultra settings, 75hz with frame rate capped at 75 (tried with vsync, FRTC, and s-sync from RTSS). Previously I was using s-sync on a GTX 1080 and got very little stuttering using Apex's dynamic res. Now, with the 5700xt, I have to disable dynamic resolution to get consistent frame times, and have to settle with my frame rate dropping in areas like Skulltown and Swamps.

I tried using Wattman to keep my base clock at something high like 1800mHz or something, but I don't think it's working because GPU-Z shows GPU frequency staying below 1400mHz most of the time.

So what are your thoughts? Is it likely these two things are clashing in the way I think they are?

0 Likes
1 Reply
tokiyorio
Journeyman III

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. My best guess is that they're kind of working in opposite directions:

5700xt is adjusting frame times based on workload... but Apex Legends is adjusting workload based on frame times.

I feel like in quickly changing complex scenery, these two could get out of sync.

My setup is Ultra settings, 75hz with frame rate capped at 75 (tried with vsync, FRTC, and s-sync from RTSS). Previously I was using s-sync on a GTX 1080 and got very little stuttering using Apex's dynamic res. Now, with the 5700xt, I have to disable dynamic resolution to get consistent frame times, and have to settle with my frame rate dropping in areas like Skulltown and Swamps.

I tried using Wattman to keep my base clock at something high like 1800mHz or something, but I don't think it's working because GPU-Z shows GPU frequency staying below 1400mHz most of the time.

So what are your thoughts? Is it likely these two things are clashing in the way I think they are?

my issue got solved!

0 Likes