cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

NTurnbullJr
Adept II

Using Flight Simulators without a GPU

Last week, I finished my build with a Ryzen 5600G, 16GB 3200 RAM, Samsung SSD, and MSI B550-A Pro motherboard (no GPU card) to use with Flight Simulators. I first tried X-Plane 12 and it would not install and displayed a message stating my PC was not powerful enough to run the product and X-Plane support verified that when  I called them. SO, next I tried MS Flight Simulator 2020 even though I had heard on YouTube that it required more resources than X-Plane 12. It installed fine and when I start it, I get a warning that my PC is under configured but it does go ahead and run. It actually runs great with no lag or chops. I am probably running the least resource intensive plane (Cessna 152) normally and I have MSFS 202 configured for low-end. But the I am very happy with the scenery and I have even right the F-18 Maverick challenges and they run great too.  Has anything got any info on a way to run X-Plane with a build similar to mine? Have you had a similar experience with MSFS 2020? And for MSFS 2020 with a similar build to mine, have made tweaks that made it look even better than low-end config and are still happy with the results? If so, what tweaks did you make? Happy New Year everyone.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Axxemann
Forerunner

It's quite possible (and plausible) that X-plane might not have iGPU support. They make it clear they have no support for Intel GPUs, but apart from that the system requirements look to be leaning towards the "Potato" end of the PC scale. You might want to pick up an RX570 or 580 on the second hand market for a few bucks (the Sapphire Pulse ITX is a great SFF GPU. In fact, it's what I'm still trucking along with in my full size ATX rig because I can't afford a new GPU right now) or choke back your pride and get a GeForce 970. But I'd rather run an RX 550 before I ever go Nvidia.

Performance over Pretty.