Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Star Citizen

KeyJ_1-1659977721536.jpeg

Star Citizen

Have any of you played this? We just recently started over the weekend and we are super intrieagued. 

It is still an Alpha game, and yes it has issues - but it also has so much variety in what you can do! Very interesting!

Here are some videos from big-name streamers if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5IklhRFyo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBa8m2GJKv4

-

If you do play it, or have played it. I would love to know your thoughts.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
1 Solution
AFKG-Curtis
Adept III

Thanks for the tag, Key-J! Yes, I can definitely share my initial thoughts and provide a review. Also, for anyone who wants to just watch a little bit of our gameplay we now have a few of our streams posted on Twitch, which you can see here: AFKids Gaming https://www.twitch.tv/afkidsgaming

In terms of a review, I should preface this by saying that purchasing a new game is very much like a new relationship – at least for me lol. So there may be some blindness and I’m definitely in the honeymoon stage, hahaha. But I will try to quickly summarize the game and be at honest as possible.

What is the game?

• Sea of Thieves + simulator game + space = Star Citizen
  • In brief, you are a citizen living in the Stanton System and you have a spaceship which allows you to go and make money and essentially live however you want

What can you do?

First Option: Be a law-abiding citizen

• Explore
  • Collect bounties by hunting down AI and player criminals and neutralizing them (ship to ship or ground combat)
  • Protect check points (e.g. security bunkers and other depots) from waves of pirates
  • Purchase or rent a mining ship/ground vehicle and mine the minerals found on planets or asteroids
  • Deliver supplies to plants or outposts
  • Play the market by purchasing a material at one location and flying it to where is rare and selling it at double the price (Warning: Don't die or get shot down or you might lose it all!)
  • Rescue players/medical evacuations
    • Players can become stranded if someone steals or blows up their ship while they are on a planet and they must create a general call contract (quest) that gets sent out to the server for a rescue
    • You can have your medical ship go pick up these stranded players and you can tend to them if they are wounded
  • Et cetera – so much more!

Second Option: Be a pirate

• Go to prison
    • If you break any of the Stanton System’s laws (e.g. killing non-marked players or NPCs, having active weapons in an armistice zone, et cetera) you will be taken as a prisoner and put in jail for X amount of time based on the violation
    • While at prison, you can choose to become the crime lord of the prison, wait out your time, or hack the system to go free with a clean slate
  • Avoid bounty hunters, including other players who have been contracted to neutralize you
  • Work as a smuggler by loading your ship up with drugs and weapons and taking them to different planets (Warning: Watch out for AI policing ships as they do have scanners and can scan the contents of your ship!)
  • Attack and invade outposts to secure data and locations

So there you have it! I should note that I’ve only been playing Star Citizen for a few days, so I have not yet tried everything the game has to offer. Below are a few of my highlights and lowlights.

• CRUISERS:
    • After chatting with another player online, he let me tour his full-blown cruiser, which honestly felt like a Star Wars cruiser (so cool lol). I started pushing all the buttons and I found little things the owner didn't even know about. We may have almost been thrown in jail as I turned on all the weapons system, but hey it was fun.
  • FLYING:
    • Flying is a little bit difficult! The AI recently had an update, but it still needs a little bit of work. You can only use quantum travel (hyperdrive) for a limited amount of time/distance, so getting to distant/obscure locations means that you have to actually fly for quite some distance to reach your intended destination. I found myself flying my one-seater ship using sub-light engines for 15 mins (ish), which can be either boring or relaxing depending on how you feel about that lol. Larger ships may travel faster though, and you would have other things to do, including playing pool, drinking at the bar, or restocking your gun shelves.
  • PROTECTING CHECKPOINTS:
    • Protecting check points from pirates was extremely nerve wracking at the start, simply because if you die you can lose everything. Given that when you start the game you have very little spending money, it would suck to lose it all at the beginning. But hey, high risk can also mean high reward! If you succeed you get to loot everything from the pirates. Having said this, I did notice that the AI lacked in that they were not very smart and they had a slower reaction time. We ended up trying this out for the first time with a high-ranking player who kindly shared some of his higher level contracts and in the end I felt as though it should have been more of a challenge. Finally, I should note that in the bunkers there are some guards (allies) and the markers wouldn’t always show up so you had to memorize their armour colour and type. Don’t shoot the guards as it is a crime and you will go to prison!
  • DELIVERIES:
    • The deliveries that I tried have seemed simple and a little bit boring. However, they have been a useful training tool in that they helped me learn how to fly, land, and navigate. Having said that, I have heard that deliveries can be very lucrative and more dangerous once you develop a bigger reputation in the Stanton System. As I understand it, the higher your reputation, the rarer material you will be given to transport and the more likely you will be attacked by pirates.

Again, I love the game so far, but like any new game, there are some bugs that need to be fixed:

• DESYNCING:
    • Desyncing with other players can be an issue. For example, you can be holding the elevator open for your friend to enter as they appear to be standing on the other side, but on your friend’s screen they have already entered the elevator and are waiting for you to click the button to the next floor. This didn’t happen to me a lot so ultimately it did not bother me that much, but in a higher pressure situation this may change.
  • FINDING THE MENU TO LOOT:
    • When looking at a body or an item someone dropped on the ground it can be difficult to find the right angle to get the loot menu to pop up which can be very frustrating. Crouching to loot seems to help so perhaps the game developers were going for maximum realism here, as you would definitely need to crouch to loot in real life!
  • FALLING THROUGH THE FLOOR:
    • After a bad landing on a weird angle, I exited the ship and fell through the floor. If this continued to happen more often it could be a game breaker until fixed, but fortunately this only happened once.
  • SOME HUD NOT SHOWING INFORMATION:
    • I’ve noticed that sometimes information is missing, which is problematic as not seeing the friendly NPC marker can end with you in prison.
  • INVENTORY AND LOOT NEED AN OVERHAUL:
    • I don’t mind the weight area system they have in place to calculate the amount you can carry, but right now you have to click and drag one item at a time from one inventory to another. This can be really slow at times and I think an overhaul of this function is needed.
  • DETAIL AND REALISM NOT YET FINISHED:
    • There is so much detail in Star Citizen, including tiny objects that you are supposed to be able to interact with while playing. Unfortunately, the game isn’t quite there yet and instead the game developers are working on putting out the next ship. Obviously this isn’t the most important thing, but sometimes you just want to sit on a ship and play pool lol. ALL IN GOOD TIME.

I hope that this review has been helpful to everyone! If anyone has any questions or would like to play, just shoot me a message 😊

**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I hadn't heard of this game - just skimmed through the youtube videos and looks intriguing! Interested to hear your thoughts on it. 

Also, wonder when the game will be out of the alpha version without any bugs? 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

No idea on timelines yet unfortunately, however lots of development continues on the game. Seems that it has a very heavy player base still.

My first impressions are still formulating, I have had maybe a collective 4 hours. However, @AFKG-Curtis might have some to share since he has been paying a bit more. 

----------
red5
Miniboss

I tried it a year or so ago and it was just too complex. My starting hangar was about impossible to maneuver out of. I know there are a massive amount of people out there who pretty much pan the game for all the money they've collected and how unfinished of a product it is. They just keep tacking more stuff onto it instead of just producing a finished product.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
AFKG-Curtis
Adept III

Thanks for the tag, Key-J! Yes, I can definitely share my initial thoughts and provide a review. Also, for anyone who wants to just watch a little bit of our gameplay we now have a few of our streams posted on Twitch, which you can see here: AFKids Gaming https://www.twitch.tv/afkidsgaming

In terms of a review, I should preface this by saying that purchasing a new game is very much like a new relationship – at least for me lol. So there may be some blindness and I’m definitely in the honeymoon stage, hahaha. But I will try to quickly summarize the game and be at honest as possible.

What is the game?

• Sea of Thieves + simulator game + space = Star Citizen
  • In brief, you are a citizen living in the Stanton System and you have a spaceship which allows you to go and make money and essentially live however you want

What can you do?

First Option: Be a law-abiding citizen

• Explore
  • Collect bounties by hunting down AI and player criminals and neutralizing them (ship to ship or ground combat)
  • Protect check points (e.g. security bunkers and other depots) from waves of pirates
  • Purchase or rent a mining ship/ground vehicle and mine the minerals found on planets or asteroids
  • Deliver supplies to plants or outposts
  • Play the market by purchasing a material at one location and flying it to where is rare and selling it at double the price (Warning: Don't die or get shot down or you might lose it all!)
  • Rescue players/medical evacuations
    • Players can become stranded if someone steals or blows up their ship while they are on a planet and they must create a general call contract (quest) that gets sent out to the server for a rescue
    • You can have your medical ship go pick up these stranded players and you can tend to them if they are wounded

Second Option: Be a pirate

• Go to prison
    • If you break any of the Stanton System’s laws (e.g. killing non-marked players or NPCs, having active weapons in an armistice zone, et cetera) you will be taken as a prisoner and put in jail for X amount of time based on the violation
    • While at prison, you can choose to become the crime lord of the prison, wait out your time, or hack the system to go free with a clean slate
  • Avoid bounty hunters, including other players who have been contracted to neutralize you
  • Work as a smuggler by loading your ship up with drugs and weapons and taking them to different planets (Warning: Watch out for AI policing ships as they do have scanners and can scan the contents of your ship!)
  • Attack and invade outposts to secure data and locations

So there you have it! I should note that I’ve only been playing Star Citizen for a few days, so I have not yet tried everything the game has to offer. Below are a few of my highlights and lowlights.

• CRUISERS:
    • After chatting with another player online, he let me tour his full-blown cruiser, which honestly felt like a Star Wars cruiser (so cool lol). I started pushing all the buttons and I found little things the owner didn't even know about. We may have almost been thrown in jail as I turned on all the weapons system, but hey it was fun.
  • FLYING:
    • Flying is a little bit difficult! The AI recently had an update, but it still needs a little bit of work. You can only use quantum travel (hyperdrive) for a limited amount of time/distance, so getting to distant/obscure locations means that you have to actually fly for quite some distance to reach your intended destination. I found myself flying my one-seater ship using sub-light engines for 15 mins (ish), which can be either boring or relaxing depending on how you feel about that lol. Larger ships may travel faster though, and you would have other things to do, including playing pool, drinking at the bar, or restocking your gun shelves.
  • PROTECTING CHECKPOINTS:
    • Protecting check points from pirates was extremely nerve wracking at the start, simply because if you die you can lose everything. Given that when you start the game you have very little spending money, it would suck to lose it all at the beginning. But hey, high risk can also mean high reward! If you succeed you get to loot everything from the pirates. Having said this, I did notice that the AI lacked in that they were not very smart and they had a slower reaction time. We ended up trying this out for the first time with a high-ranking player who kindly shared some of his higher level contracts and in the end I felt as though it should have been more of a challenge. Finally, I should note that in the bunkers there are some guards (allies) and the markers wouldn’t always show up so you had to memorize their armour colour and type. Don’t shoot the guards as it is a crime and you will go to prison!
  • DELIVERIES:
    • The deliveries that I tried have seemed simple and a little bit boring. However, they have been a useful training tool in that they helped me learn how to fly, land, and navigate. Having said that, I have heard that deliveries can be very lucrative and more dangerous once you develop a bigger reputation in the Stanton System. As I understand it, the higher your reputation, the rarer material you will be given to transport and the more likely you will be attacked by pirates.

Again, I love the game so far, but like any new game, there are some bugs that need to be fixed:

• DESYNCING:
    • Desyncing with other players can be an issue. For example, you can be holding the elevator open for your friend to enter as they appear to be standing on the other side, but on your friend’s screen they have already entered the elevator and are waiting for you to click the button to the next floor. This didn’t happen to me a lot so ultimately it did not bother me that much, but in a higher pressure situation this may change.
  • FINDING THE MENU TO LOOT:
    • When looking at a body or an item someone dropped on the ground it can be difficult to find the right angle to get the loot menu to pop up which can be very frustrating. Crouching to loot seems to help so perhaps the game developers were going for maximum realism here, as you would definitely need to crouch to loot in real life!
  • FALLING THROUGH THE FLOOR:
    • After a bad landing on a weird angle, I exited the ship and fell through the floor. If this continued to happen more often it could be a game breaker until fixed, but fortunately this only happened once.
  • SOME HUD NOT SHOWING INFORMATION:
    • I’ve noticed that sometimes information is missing, which is problematic as not seeing the friendly NPC marker can end with you in prison.
  • INVENTORY AND LOOT NEED AN OVERHAUL:
    • I don’t mind the weight area system they have in place to calculate the amount you can carry, but right now you have to click and drag one item at a time from one inventory to another. This can be really slow at times and I think an overhaul of this function is needed.
  • DETAIL AND REALISM NOT YET FINISHED:
    • There is so much detail in Star Citizen, including tiny objects that you are supposed to be able to interact with while playing. Unfortunately, the game isn’t quite there yet and instead the game developers are working on putting out the next ship. Obviously this isn’t the most important thing, but sometimes you just want to sit on a ship and play pool lol. ALL IN GOOD TIME.

I hope that this review has been helpful to everyone! If anyone has any questions or would like to play, just shoot me a message 😊

Wo @AFKG-Curtis this is super detailed! You even shared some info I didn't know - why are you keeping secrets from me? 💔 😛 

----------

The time... the dedication... 

I need to level up on my gaming review posts... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. 

Also, thank you for the run-down on all the things. My list of games I need to try is growing.. 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
opreax1
Adept II

I play Star Citizen everyday, its the reason I bought 5600X+6800XT. also you need a SSD and 32GB RAM.

Yes I forgot to add that at the end. The requirement for a good gaming experience are a bit higher then most games. They have rendered everything in 4k from the start to hopefully future proof it a bit. I have 32 GB Ram,11th Gen CPU and RX590 Red Devil and I am right around the recommended for the game maybe even a bit under.

And.... what adrenalin driver version are you running?

For me and a lot of others running anything after 22.5.1 will crash Star Citizen.  
AMD 6000 GPU...

0 Likes

Always the latest beta drivers. 

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hi Guys! Did you know that Star Citizen is one of the original games we featured on AMD.com? Check it out: Featured Games: Star Citizen

And, check out the Roberts Space Industries website, lots of cool stuff! 

I "tested" the game back in 2014, during the "AMD APU days", I was impressed then, and still impressed today, not just by the graphics, the spaceships, the characters, and customizations, but the immersive universe it strives to deliver... 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

@Sam_AMD wrote:

Hi Guys! Did you know that Star Citizen is one of the original games we featured on AMD.com? Check it out: Featured Games: Star Citizen

Yes, I remember.  There was a game code for a limited Mustang Omega racer ship (in AMD/Ferrari red colors) bundled with an AMD graphic card, if I remember correctly (your link doesn't work anymore).  That ship is still limited (read: unavailable), even if the deal with AMD was years ago and the GPU isn't available in the shops anymore, I guess.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes
Vance501
Journeyman III

So does anyone know if AMD is gonna do another Star Citizen promotion again soon like they did the mustang Omega?? I’d be very interested in what the next promotion will be like. 

0 Likes

Hello VAnce501. As far as I know, there aren't any plans. That said, if we do, we would share information across our website, social channels, and official press releases. And, I'm pretty sure we would feature it on the Featured Games page on AMD.com. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

Hi @Key-J,

I've played Star Citizen a long time and have had an account since Oct. 2012, when the project was launched.  I knew at once when I read about it that this game is the one I'd been waiting for, so I pledged a few dollars on KickStarter and got a Hornet medium fighter.  I wrote some about Star Citizen here earlier today, if you're interested.

What I like about Star Citizen are many things, but I can mention a few from the top of my head:

*  It's a space game.  I love this genre.
*  It's a sandbox game/universe.  You're free to go where you want or take on missions.
*  It's first person and I can use a joystick/HOTAS.
*  The image quality and level of details are very good and add to immersion.
*  It has no skyboxes or artificial scene shifts.
*  There's no artificial skill levels or any win goal.
*  Skills are acquired through training in your occupation(s), as in real life.
*  One can go seamless from ship to planet/moon, from ship to ship, walk inside your ship, etc.
*  Your friends/team mates can come with you in your ship and man turrets, shields, etc.
*  It spans multiple game genres so one can play for months and years without need of other games.
*  It feels like a universe you can live in as a player, because of its vast details and so much to do.
*  There's an MMO and a single player version, both in Alpha.
*  The MMO is open for all with an account. The single player version is closed though (no spoilers).

Cons:

*  It's in Alpha and contains bugs.
*  It lacks some gameplay and functions.
*  It can be somewhat difficult to hop into for a new player, due to its different approach as a game.
*  Players who are used to being transferred instantly from one place to another may not like the game.
*  Players who want to play games with an end goal and can be finished in a week or so may not like the game.
*  People who believe Star Citizen is feature creep and/or pay to win may not like the game.
*  People who need to know a release date can be put off by Star Citizen's open development project.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

Thanks for sharing Petosiris!

----------
petosiris
Miniboss

maxresdefault

If you haven't tried Star Citizen yet, it's a free-fly week now so you can try it out for free/gratis.  You get five different ships on loan to select from.  Only thing you need is to register an account, which you can do after you select one of the five ships.  Or you can login if you already have registered an account before.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/3-18-Free-Fly

NOTE: The game is in Alpha so expect bugs.  It also means it's not feature and gameplay complete.

Best,
petosiris
Miniboss

I saw this video of a new player trying Star Citizen.  It was funny so I wanted to share it with you guys.  If you haven't tried Star Citizen yet then you may pick up some tips here.  😅

Best,

Wait, this video is so funny LOL. "Will we ever find pants?"

Gave me a good laugh, thank you 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

Yeah, I thought it was very funny too.  It's much about the person, I believe.  She's very relaxed and used to the limelight, smiling and laughing, and very charming.  So when she puts herself in silly and funny situations you can't avoid laughing. 🤣

Best,
Mootkins
Journeyman III

Any update if AMD will be offering another promotion run for the Mustang Omega? Would love to see something like that mentioned during this years CitizenCon with Pyro 4.0 and (possibly) Squadron 42 near completion.

0 Likes

I haven't heard anything about such promotions now, but CIG is tight-lipped and may surprise us with something.

Best,
0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

Some of you may be interested to see the latest of Star Citizen, which is in development (currently in Alpha 3.21). Here's a video showing a few features of the game:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1956739712?t=1h07m26s (1:07:26 - 1:31:50)

As you can see, there are some things to critisize here, like pop-in objects; flowing rivers; realistic flames; object interaction with water; and other things.  Also, I know that several biomes are still missing, for example jungles with full flora and fauna ‒ with animal sounds, of course.  Remember the game is in Alpha phase. But, as you can see, the game has lots of unique technical features.   The developer, Cloud Imperium Games (CIG), has developed its own engine, StarEngine, based on CryEngine and LumberYard.

Best,
0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

A new video of the single-player game Star Citizen: Squadron 42, which is now feature complete and in polishing.

Best,
0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

There's a Free-Fly event soon in Star Citizen!  This means you don't have to pay anything to try the game and a ship and there are over 100 ships to choose from!  Right click the LEARN MORE button in the image below and go to the link.

The Free-Fly event lasts from Nov. 17-30.

IAE 2953.jpg

Best,
0 Likes

Hi there, the Free Fly Event is a great opportunity for players to see what Star Citizen is really about, and whether you could like it or not. 

It's not a game for everybody, since it's a simulation and you can't teleport as you would do in Star Trek, but you can do almost everything : exploring, mining, trading, cargo driving, taxi driving, bounty hunting, drug selling, prison breaker, and so on.

There's plenty of amazing stuff making its way to the game during next year, so I advice to everybody who think the game could give them fun to give it a try.

@Merzhinhudour wrote:

[...] you can do almost everything : exploring, mining, trading, cargo driving, taxi driving, bounty hunting, drug selling, prison breaker, and so on.

Yep, plus: piracy, salvage/scavenge, medical/ambulance ship, Merenary, Information specialist, racing, repair, refuel, science, smuggling, farming, and more (later we'll get military career, player run factories and space stations, for instance).  And Passenger transport, but I guess that's covered by Merzhinhudour's taxi driving.  🙂

Best,
petosiris
Miniboss

At the latest CitizenCon a month ago, StarEngine was presented in this 25 min. video.

Best,
0 Likes