cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Diablo 4 BETA Review - From a non-Diablo Fan.

KeyJ_0-1680022036512.jpeg

Hey, Red Team I recently had the opportunity to play Diablo 4 and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it! So I wanted to share what I thought about it, especially coming from someone who is not a fan of Diablo. This is to mean, I never touched a Diablo game until @AFKG-Curtis forced me to play Diablo 3 with him. Then when we tried to go back and play Diablo 2, I honestly hated it and refunded the game pretty much after one session.

My biggest concern when reading up about Diablo 4 was simple: Would it be more like Diablo 3, or Diablo 2? Well, I'm happy to say, after playing the BETA, it is more in line with Diablo 3 - but definitely with improvements both visually and in gameplay.

As a Barbarian, I got to level 25 and completed the 1st Act. The core Barbarian meat shield and spin-to-win tactics were very apparent in the BETA, and for some people like myself, this was great. I found the new weapon switching and weapon mastery system to be an interesting and unique experience for the Barbarian - however, I did feel that with 2x 2H weapon slots and 2x 1H weapon slots, I didn't care which weapon was assigned to which skill (you can manually assign or have the game pick the best). So I never felt like my choices mattered as to what I slotted in, if it had better stats - it went in. However, with legendaries and set pieces down the road, this might change.

Now, let's talk about what I really enjoyed in Diablo 4:

1. The game was "darker" and more focused on exploration and customization compared to Diablo 3. This added an element of immersion and made the game feel more engaging.
  2. I really enjoyed how there were a lot of open-world events to experience, especially with the feeling that this game was supposed to be more social and cooperative. Rewarding people for completing events together and even more so for joining up. Also I tried to take on a stronghold by myself, bad move.
  3. Adding the replayable dungeons was cool. Not only as a fun way to earn aspects for your classes but to have varied and challenging content. For example, adding in RNG to encounter bosses like the Butcher in a dungeon made it more exciting.
  4. I enjoyed the addition of the dash system; lots of enemies had skill-based attacks that you could mitigate through a smart dash.
  5. Completing Act 1, I never felt that anything was too repetitive, and there was enough variety to keep me interested. I also enjoyed the classification of Core Quests, Story Quests, and Side Quests. It made the game very non-linear.
  6. Treasure Goblins are back, which means more loot!
  7. The world boss was a lot of fun, and definitely something unique for Diablo! I did feel though that it was just a DPS challenge. Sure there were opportunities to avoid attacks, but at the end of the day, you were just hoping to DPS as much as you could to beat the timer and die only enough times that people would not get bored of resing you.

However, there were a few things that I didn't enjoy as much:

1. Character strength, at least from what I noticed in the Barbarian, is extremely dependent on gear. It didn't matter how many points I put into certain skills - I felt like it didn't make a huge change.
  2. The traverse system is just a fun gimmick in my opinion, it doesn't add anything of value - but I don't mind it being there.
  3. The map was really large, and it took a long time to get to where I needed to go. Especially with quests being all over the place, I felt like I spent a lot of time just moving.

Overall, I had a great time playing Diablo 4. The game has a lot of potential, and I'm looking forward to exploring more of what it has to offer.

The BETA at least for me was enough to make me consider preordering it and adding it to my play roster when June comes around.

If you played the BETA, would love to know your thoughts!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
1 Solution
Key-J
Paragon

Hey, Red Team! I'm back with an update on my Diablo 4 experience, and let me tell you, I had a blast during the Server Slam playing with @AFKG-Curtis and other friends. I really enjoyed the Diablo 3 feel while cranking up the darkness and grittiness to a whole new level.

I want to immediately point out the biggest win for me -  the social aspect. You get to be the hero of your own world, but you're not alone. You can team up with your buddies or even team up with strangers to kick some demon ass together. I also really enjoyed the extra events like Strongholds, rare spawns, and world bosses that pop up. Even just the world events with the orange circle help change up the flow of the game.

The game difficulty is just right. It's tough enough to keep you on your toes, but not so brutal that you'll be smashing your keyboard in frustration. You gotta think on your feet, try out different character builds, and adapt to the challenges thrown at you. - Just ask Curtis and how many times he respec'ed 😛

Also, it was nice to hear that Blizzard made changes between BETAs and even during the Slam based on user feedback. That is a great live service feel.

Leveling was also pretty on point, with a slight buff for partying - it definitely encourages team play. Which was great because I got to level 20 and downed Ashava 3 times!

I played a Sorcerer this time, and although it is not my usual playstyle (SPIN TO WIN FTW) - I still enjoyed it.

Overall, I would say a 8/10 for me. If you're a fan of Diablo 3 or just love a kick-ass action RPG with epic multiplayer, do yourself a favor and grab Diablo 4. Trust me, it's worth every penny.

Catch you in Sanctuary Red Team!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

Also, please enjoy this moment between Curtis and me where he is taking the time to carefully explain all of the intricacies of his class, and I am just enjoying my Barbarian.

Make sure you have your sound up. 🙂

----------

Very well written and agree with everything. I had a great time playing in the beta and am excited to play the full game when it comes out.

One note as for the traveling on the large map I agree it was alot of running around but I believe you will be able to purchase a mount once the full game releases or in later acts which will help mitigate the annoyance of running around so much.

True, I completely forgot about the mount system. That will probably help a lot with covering large distances.

----------
Key-J
Paragon

Hey, Red Team! I'm back with an update on my Diablo 4 experience, and let me tell you, I had a blast during the Server Slam playing with @AFKG-Curtis and other friends. I really enjoyed the Diablo 3 feel while cranking up the darkness and grittiness to a whole new level.

I want to immediately point out the biggest win for me -  the social aspect. You get to be the hero of your own world, but you're not alone. You can team up with your buddies or even team up with strangers to kick some demon ass together. I also really enjoyed the extra events like Strongholds, rare spawns, and world bosses that pop up. Even just the world events with the orange circle help change up the flow of the game.

The game difficulty is just right. It's tough enough to keep you on your toes, but not so brutal that you'll be smashing your keyboard in frustration. You gotta think on your feet, try out different character builds, and adapt to the challenges thrown at you. - Just ask Curtis and how many times he respec'ed 😛

Also, it was nice to hear that Blizzard made changes between BETAs and even during the Slam based on user feedback. That is a great live service feel.

Leveling was also pretty on point, with a slight buff for partying - it definitely encourages team play. Which was great because I got to level 20 and downed Ashava 3 times!

I played a Sorcerer this time, and although it is not my usual playstyle (SPIN TO WIN FTW) - I still enjoyed it.

Overall, I would say a 8/10 for me. If you're a fan of Diablo 3 or just love a kick-ass action RPG with epic multiplayer, do yourself a favor and grab Diablo 4. Trust me, it's worth every penny.

Catch you in Sanctuary Red Team!

----------

I'm pretty excited about the release based on all the positive things I've read. We should team up when it goes live!

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

With @AFKG-Curtis on board, we just need to convince @Amber_AMD or @Sam_AMD to help us slay the demons of hell.

❤️

----------
POG
Adept II

I played the beta over the weekend and it had one problem.....I don't know how much FPS I had....the game ran without a problem.....but while playing, the coils from the GPU were alive, as if there were more frames than is healthy ..... in SW fallen when loading, it jumps to 4000fps for a while and the coils sound incredible....horror... Is it possible to do something with the controls for a sharp start of Diablo 4?

@matt AMD

Nolcaj
Adept I

Yeah, I really like the return to the social aspects of previous Dibalo before III .. randomly running into players and either helping or being helped is fun way to make new friends.