cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Chato_v2
Adept II

AMD Build

So I am trying to do a AMD build but getting confused on what Motherboard to get. Now I play a lot of MMO games and I have a 1440p 165hz monitor. My build as of now is a Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B-550 Mag Tomahawk, Powercolor Red Devil RX 6700 XT, XPG Gammix D10 16gb, and a 650w PSU Gold.  

When playing Destiny 2 sitting in orbit it shows 200-400 fps, when in the social areas fps fluctuates 80-140. When playing Lost Ark i only get 120-130 fps. Now i have been told that my motherboard is the issue i am not getting the full potential out of my CPU. I was told that a X570 board will be better for my CPU, but they are a little out of my price range. I do want to overclock but I do game a lot of hours i say 6-10 hrs a day so i am afraid to overclock.

Need some advice on what to do should i upgrade my CPU or should i get a x570 board, trying to get at least 160fps out of my rig.   

1 Solution

I find that people at Micro Center don't have much if any hands on PC building experience and most of them are just salesmen. 

Been building PC's for 22 years. Besides there is a glut of 850 watt PSUs (translates into a better deal on a high quality PSU) on the market and it's better to have more power than you need than just adequate (or meeting minimum requirements). 

Besides a larger PSU gives you greater upgrade headroom down the road.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Honestly with the hardware you are running you got a pretty good gaming build with one exception.

The 650 watt PSU may not cut it especially when the build has sudden high power demands.

These are usually caused by background programs running that are difficult to stop without using Group Policy Editors or Registry Editors.

Try cleaning out the game update cache for whatever platform your game runs through. Example if the game is on Steam then delete the game update cache.

Make sure you write down your steam password as this will delete the auto fill remember me check box info as well. You will have to manually re enter your password on you next login.

If you are overclocking I highly recommend an 850 watt PSU so your system has enough power to use without puling power from other hardware. Consistent power and steady distribution is a thing that all gaming PC's are very sensitive to. 

So should i get a 700w PSU i mean the guy at Micro Center said a 650w PSU would be ok but on the box of my GPU it says 700w is recommended

0 Likes

I find that people at Micro Center don't have much if any hands on PC building experience and most of them are just salesmen. 

Been building PC's for 22 years. Besides there is a glut of 850 watt PSUs (translates into a better deal on a high quality PSU) on the market and it's better to have more power than you need than just adequate (or meeting minimum requirements). 

Besides a larger PSU gives you greater upgrade headroom down the road.

its funny because once i got home to install my GPU i noticed the recommended power on the box so i did research on it and most places said 650w was ok, but when i saw the ok i quit reading it lol but i will go get that PSU and take this one back. I should of just went back and got the right PSU. Thanks for the advice  

Glad to help.

Remember a PSU is one component that is practically universal across most builds. Its best to get a high output gold or platinum grade. (90 to 95% AC to DC conversion rating also known as efficiency rating) 

I'm running a Thermaltake Tough Power full modular 1200 watt 80+ gold series it MSRPs around $250 to 300.

Oh avoid any of the slimline PSUs they have an ongoing problem with power load management and distribution.

Corsair Thermaltake EVGA and PFC all make great PSUs