cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

skycyclepilot
Adept II

Re: Age yourself - your first GPU? I'll go first

Ha!  You're all just babies!  Mine was whatever was installed in a Burroughs mainframe in 1979!  My first PC was a Radio Shack MC10 with 16 KB of memory...

lvskiprof
Adept I

You obviously didn't read my post you young whipper snapper!  I was using the LA City Schools HP 2000 on a teletype at our high school in 1973.  I was a member of the San Fernando Valley Computer Club long before the Trash-80 came out and already had outgrown my KIM-1 Commodore computer and moved on to an S-100 Bus Z80 system, which I later upgraded to a Seattle Computer Products 8MHz 8086.

Mike Riley (lvskiprof)
jaradmf
Adept I

Ok I’ll play, Tandy 1000

demoniclese
Adept I

I think i replied ot this before saying my first dedicated gpu was a 1 meg and then a 2 meg ATI Vesa Local Bus Mach32....so way before amd scooped up ATI...but when i think about it again my first real computer that had a seperate graphics adapter was a Compaq portable suitcase computer.....it had a green screen built in and 2 5 1/4" floppys...a 50 meg....yes.....meg....harddrive....and the graphics adaper was HUGE!! i was able to jerry rig it into my first 386 to use it! Of course i had to turn both machine on their sides and turn them both on at the same time i should have taken a pic1024px-Compaq_portable.jpg....wow...the memories! LOL I could have blown something up! It sounded like a jet starting up!! And man was the HDD loud!

cwtotal
Journeyman III

ATI Mach 64 (2MB VIDEO RAM) + Addon: VOODOO 1 3dfx: (4MB VIDEO RAM)

Tags (1)
TR2
Adept II

Well consumer graphics cards came out in the 90s, before that graphics were integrated on the mainboard (old motherboard name) and soldered in place. I have used S3, ATI, Diamond, Nvidia, Voodoo and Cirrus Logic cards. I guess the S3 Savage 4 ( PCI ) was one of the first I have used. I think I still have a few PCI Video cards. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

animation-studio
Journeyman III

So far advanced!!! I have an evga ftw3 3080ti + evga hybrid kit 😃

The animation studio animation.su creates cartoons and animated series.
saradaio
Journeyman III

Your first graphics card - any tips? I'm the first to try it

Hello!

On AMD's All in Wonder Pro. I guess it was the most powerful processor back then. The motherboard I was using was an ASUS. Gigabytes were unheard of back then.

Everything was measured in megabytes. I remember when Bill told us we wouldn't need more memory than 640k.   😀

ripcord
Adept II

Yeah sure,  Cirrus Logic 5446,  16 bit ISA slot, 2mb of ram.

Ryzen 5 2600x, Radeon RX 580, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II 32Gb.
0 Likes
alisha
Adept I

AMD Radeon HD 7970 CF was my first graphics card. We thought this post would make us feel elderly and nostalgic.

Alisha Pal
Tags (2)
0 Likes