cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Crossbow
Journeyman III

[Windows 11] AMD Adrenaline Edition unlisted version 23.20.01

When I installed my new Windows 11 PC about two months ago, I originally ended up with AMD Adrenalin Edition 23.20.01.10.

I noticed that there were never any graphics driver updates, and that the Release Notes page did not even exist (see screenshot below).

Crossbow_0-1704400054227.png

So then I uninstalled that version of AMD Adrenalin Edition (and the 'corresponding' graphics driver), and downloaded the recommended version suggested by the Drivers and Support page which led me to version 23.12.1. That tool installed its own graphics driver version, and that worked fine for another month.

Today, Windows Update suddenly downloaded a new AMD Graphics driver version, according to Event Viewer:

Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 31.0.22030.2

This caused the AMD Adrenalin software to no longer start due to a incompatibility issue PA-300.

I followed the suggestion on that page to use the AMD Software Compatibility Tool, which brought me back to AMD Adrenalin Edition 23.20.01.10 I originally started with.

So now I'm wondering:

• Where does AMD Adrenalin Edition 23.20.01 come from, and why does it link to a non-existing page on the AMD release notes?
  • Why does the Drivers and Support page point me to a different version that conflicts with Windows Update?
  • Who should even have control of the graphics driver updates? Windows Update or the AMD Adrenalin tool?

Not sure if it's relevant: I have the following Windows Update option enabled, but am not in the Windows Insider program.

Crossbow_1-1704400974434.png

0 Likes
6 Replies
nicov
Journeyman III

Exactly same thing happend to me so strange. fix it

0 Likes

You have effectively given MS full control over any driver updates.

And as per MS update Docs, they may install an older driver. So that would make it incompatible with the adrenalin software from amd (there is/was separate software download from MS store for those MS supplied drivers).

Updates from amd adrenalin only apply to the driver/software from amd direct.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

You mention "an older driver", but 23.20.30 (it seems to have updated from 23.20.01 since my previous post) actually sounds newer than 23.12.1 that is suggested by the AMD website.

What I don't understand is that the AMD website points me to version X, Windows Update then decides to update (downgrade or upgrade?) to version Y, and the AMD compatibility tool chooses to "fix" it by adjusting the Adrenalin tool to match version Y.

With any troubleshooting, it is generally recommended to update to your graphics driver to the latest version, but I'm simply unable to tell which version that is. It all feels a bit messy...

0 Likes

23.12.1.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
akshaypatil1234
Journeyman III

same thing happened! I was playing game and I wasn't aware of the update happening in the background. At the end of the update my game just closed completely without any error. Like I wasn't playing game at all! 

and prompted me to restart the pc which I did and for more than 30 min was stuck in the screen of please do not turn off Update is in progress. 

I did hard reset and came back to my homescreen but wasn't able to open adrenline software. Now rolling back to old version which is the latest according to AMD website. 

STRANGE!

0 Likes
Crossbow
Journeyman III

With the mysterious driver version that Windows Update keeps installing, games complained that graphics drivers were outdated, and Overwatch didn't show any temperature.

So I went back to the graphics driver from AMD Software (again!) and have now disabled driver updates from Windows Update entirely.

• Run the local Group Policy editor, with start --> Run --> gpedit.msc
  • Navigate to:
    • Computer Configuration
    • Administrative Templates
    • Windows Components
    • Windows Update
    • Manage updates offered from Windows Update
  • In the right pane double-click the policy "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates"
  • Set it to "Enabled" and click OK

Crossbow_0-1705710302099.png

It would be great if AMD could manage their driver versions (and semver numbers) a bit more transparent.

0 Likes