cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dragonborn
Journeyman III

Will you answer nvidia dlss 2.0?

It has recently announced nvidia dlss 2.0 technology. Is there a technology like radeon image sharpening 2.0 being developed? When will we see, if any?

0 Likes
19 Replies

AMD has been more focused on what the Xbox and PS designs call for. nVidia can do what they want with gimmicks. 

RDNA2 cards are expected to support DX12's latest ultimate refinements. That includes support for ray tracing shaders etc.

0 Likes

But it's missing DLSS 2.0. And it doesn't look like a gimmick.

Also screw XBox and PS. We need graphics techs for the PC!

demonhd wrote:

But it's missing DLSS 2.0. And it doesn't look like a gimmick.

Look for DX12 Ultimate for video cards later on towards the fall. Those will support the new refinements in DX.

0 Likes

DLSS 2.0 has nothing to do with DX. It's an NVIDIA tech.

0 Likes
demonhd
Adept II

I really wanna see that on AMD side too. But I don't think Image Sharpening has anything to do with DLSS 2.0. Because NVIDIA has Image Sharpening as well. And you can pretty tell that by comparing them each other. Image Sharpening only makes the image clearer by sharpening it. And while it's noticeable it doesn't make much difference as DLSS 2.0 do. The difference on DLSS 2.0 against non DLSS 2.0 is huge. It also increases FPS by like 100%. I wonder what it looks like to enable both DLSS 2.0 and VRS on games. 8K resolution is near! It's 200% performance boost!

0 Likes

demonhd wrote:

I really wanna see that on AMD side too. But I don't think Image Sharpening has anything to do with DLSS 2.0. Because NVIDIA has Image Sharpening as well. And you can pretty tell that by comparing them each other. Image Sharpening only makes the image clearer by sharpening it. And while it's noticeable it doesn't make much difference as DLSS 2.0 do. The difference on DLSS 2.0 against non DLSS 2.0 is huge. It also increases FPS by like 100%. I wonder what it looks like to enable both DLSS 2.0 and VRS on games. 8K resolution is near! It's 200% performance boost!

Gaming at 8K will require a lot more TFLOPS from video cards. Lots more.

0 Likes

Nope. You can game at 8K 60 FPS with SLI right now. And imagine when you get 200% performance boost. Then a single GPU will be enough for it. Todays GPUs are ready to game at 8K with those techs. Plus you can get 40 FPS with a 2080S at 8K with VRS. lol.

0 Likes

Need DisplayPort 2.0 for 8K60 gaming

0 Likes

It's irrelevant. Also we have Thunderbolt 3.0 right now if developers use it. But it's still irrelevant.

0 Likes

DLSS 2.0 still requires a large developer investment, though less than DLSS 1.0, which is why DLSS adoption is still very limited, especially since the vast majority of gamers are not playing at 3840x2160, they're playing at 1920x1080. If you use Steam for your data, over 75% are playing at 1920x1080 or below, and that's a target resolution which is easily made playable by GPUs of the last couple of years without issues, and that's not going to make developers want to sink valuable resources into it. The main benefit of DLSS is vastly improved ray tracing performance, as is being seen with the Minecraft ray tracing beta where 1920x1080 ray tracing performance is unplayable (Source: PCGamer, RTX 2080 used) unless DLSS is.

Now, that being said, with AMD just getting into ray tracing this year with the upcoming RDNA2 cards, and as a proponent of open standards, they will no doubt want to devise not only an agnostic version of DLSS, but one which won't require significant deep learning training by the developer and therefore spur adoption. This technology will be gold in consoles where the reduction in visual fidelity caused by DLSS is hidden by the reduction in detail level on consoles due to weaker GPUs especially as the next generation of consoles will target 8K displays.

Also, don't forget that AMD has had the foundation for what DLSS does for some time inside their FidelityFX package: Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, which supports Dynamic Resolution Scaling, and that's the basics of what DLSS does, rendering at a reduced resolution and displaying at a higher resolution. Of course AMD will not have cards on the market which have AI capability like nVidia's Tensor cores until RNDA2 which will, if the patent applications are followed, allow every USP to act as either a image or AI processor, but AMD is no doubt working behind the scenes on this.

0 Likes

Really? Usually those techs made to easy developing so that developers may use it. What does it has to do with the resolution? DLSS 2.0 may improve the image quality as well as increasing FPS at the same time even on 1080p. So gamers still will take advantage of it. While being able to play on low resolution(compared to 4K) you may get improved quality and increase FPS at the same time. But yes, FPS increase is much more important at 4K if it's what you mean. Yes, but 1440p and 4K is started to be a thing. So developers would consider it. Now NVIDIA makes crazy expensive GPUs at $1000 and still sell them. Why? What does DLSS has to do with ray tracing? I thought it was supposed to improve the image quality as well as FPS. Yeah, Quake 2 wasn't playable as well at 4K on 2080 Ti.

Yes, but PS5 is not gonna get DX12U. That sucks. :/ What do you mean "the reduction in visual fidelity caused by DLSS is hidden by the reduction in detail level on consoles due to weaker GPUs?" especially as the next generation of consoles will target 8K displays.

But DLSS improves the image quality while increases FPS. From what I know FidelityFX only improves the image quality which is not enough compared to DLSS 2.0. Oh, maybe it will also increase FPS after RDNA2 then? Do you think that AMD will also get specific cores for AI and also for RT? AMD is gonna get hardware RT. So that means RT cores imo. What do you mean "allow every USP to act as either a image or AI processor?" What is USP?

0 Likes

I use a 3840x2160 HDR panel, so it immediately is brutal on video cards.

0 Likes

What? FidelityFX?

0 Likes
demonhd
Adept II

FidelityFX is DLSS's counterpart. NVIDIA has Image Sharpening as well. But they've added this feature later on the NVIDIA Control Panel. Also I wonder the answer too. Because DLSS 2.0 improves the image quality pretty noticeably.

0 Likes
dragonborn
Journeyman III

Whether there is a noticeable performance difference with only artificial intelligence, it does not need to raise the image quality excessively, because it restricts both the manufacturers and us only muscle strength. The software should not be forgotten either.

0 Likes
mordrac
Adept I

motion interpolation could be even superior to dlss 2.0 to boost fps. console gamers use tvs with motion interpolation to boost fps in console games quite significantly. im asking for this for years, yet unheared. my rx 5700 xt does 19-24fps in the unigine superposition 8k test. with motion interpolation it could be easily 60fps even 144fps.

0 Likes
baepe
Adept III

AMD is light years away from this. They can't even release stable drivers and are too busy releasing USELESS features that don't work

0 Likes

baepe wrote:

AMD is light years away from this. They can't even release stable drivers and are too busy releasing USELESS features that don't work

20.4.1 is stable on my box with all AMD hardware

0 Likes
jhoravi
Journeyman III

The good news is that AMD supports Microsofts DirectML. Nvidias DLSS and Microsofts DirectML are basically the same thing.

0 Likes