cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

stress
Journeyman III

What does "RaidXpert" "Synchronization" do exactly?

In this software there is a tab called "Synchronization" under "Logical Drive View". But what does it do exaclty? Synchronization everbody interprets differently and almost all of them are wrong.

I have a RAID1 with 2 equal drives with (partly) different data. To get us started I could imagine:
1. All data from one drive is copied to the other.

- If so, does he copy from the master drive or a random one?

2. Does he read check for every file, if it is available on the other drive and only copy if it is not?

3. Does he check all sectors (starting at physical sector 1) if the are equal at the exact same positions and overwrite one if not?

4. Does he multiply all data by copying all from drive A to B and again the other way around?

(And yes, I have already read all info online and in the AMD manuals and the software itself. Nowhere is any detail saying more than "he synchronizes the data...".)

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Likes
5 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Are you using RAIDXpert or RAIDXpert2? Because RAIDXpert is the original version of software.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/raidxpert-vs-raidxpert2/td-p/155685

Here is the manual for the old RAIDXpert software, Synchronization can be found on page 78.

https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/AMD_RAIDXpert_User_v2.1.pdf

@stress wrote:

I have a RAID1 with 2 equal drives with (partly) different data.

You're describing a RAID1 array in an inconsistent state. You should back up your data before attempting any repair.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

Thanks so far. I am NOT using version "...2" (as my mainboard is pretty old). And I have read the manual and much more as I mentioned. Also the backup I made long ago already.

There is nothing described about the process itself. I assume that an employee needs to answer this? Please also refer to my ideas! One of those must be it or very close. Thank you, guys!

0 Likes
stress
Journeyman III

Of course, they don't want to tell us... So let's see when it finished after a week. Then I will post the results for the people at least.

0 Likes
stress
Journeyman III

Now I know why they don't want to tell us: It sadly does NOT synchronize! It even deletes data! As far as I could compare the 2 drives, only the data that has still been on both has been left there and the rest got deleted.

Btw this took it 4 days for about 2TB of data (on 16TB drives). So let's keep waiting for good SW RAID systems...

0 Likes
stress
Journeyman III

If one of the drives was the master drive I cannot tell at all...

0 Likes