cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

atrox
Adept I

Very Bad Oculus Rift S Radeon 7900XT Issue.

PC Specs: I7-12700KF, 7900XT, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, NVMe SSD, 650W PSU, ASROCK Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E, All temperatures are optimal under full load.

I recently upgraded from a 5500XT to a 7900XT and so far its been great. I've had some issues running my Valve Index such as Beat Saber randomly starts reprojecting every frame until I restart the game. 144Hz mode was fixed with the latest driver (23.2.2), and so far has been running well in games like VR Chat and Pavlov.

However I mainly wont talk about my Valve Index as its running well. I want to talk about a serious issue with my Rift S, and likely every other Rift S or maybe even Quest/Quest 2's that are running on a PC with a Radeon 7000 Series GPU. Randomly, in any game no matter if Steam VR is open or not, I will have consistent lag spikes (small, but playable ones) throughout my session, while its annoying I can still deal with it, I mainly use my Rift S for Beat Saber due to the smaller controllers anyways. However over time the lag spikes become more and more frequent and more distracting, and then suddenly with about 5 minute intervals will suddenly pick up in intensity rapidly, to the point where my frame rate has been halved and I observe double-vision when moving my head, as if both eye displays were rendering their frames apart from the other, like they were desynced. This double vision and halved framerate occurs for a duration of about 15-30 seconds, and forces me to pause my Beat Saber while I am playing due to the unplayable framerate. This was never an Issue when I had my 5500XT installed. This is also not an issue when I use my Rift S with my laptop (i7-9750H, 1660Ti) and runs fine with no lagging besides for the worse performance.

I think this is an Issue with ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) and It is unable to be turned off (The option is there but does not work with Oculus Debug Tool). If there are any logs that I should post feel free to ask, I can grab logs from Steam VR, Oculus, Etc. Oh also, this is my second Rift S which has had this issue so the issue is not with the headset. I've tried reinstalling Windows, Using Windows 10/11, Updating BIOS, And can confirm that this issue is highly likely to be caused from AMD Drivers. And yes, I understand that the Rift S is a discontinued product from Oculus/Meta but this is the only headset that I can play competitively in Beat Saber with due to the Valve Index controllers being way too bulky which hurts my wrists and arms a lot. Besides, If AMD can fix Space Engine (which I play) then I hope they can also fix this issue.

1 Solution

Hey, never expected a reply to this post but i’m happy thats there’s someone else with this issue! I was able to fix my issue by swapping motherboards, my Asrock motherboard or 12700KF cpu was likely the problem, i now have an aorus B-series motherboard with a 10700F until i can get a new motherboard. I have diagnosed and suspected every other very single part in my PC, nothing has fixed the issue besides a motherboard swap.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
Railgunnm
Adept I

Hi, I also have EXACTLY the same problem you are talking about.
I also have a 7900XTX and some Rift S, and I suffer word for word what you say. It starts working fine, without sttutering, and as you go playing the microsttuteting is increasing, and when he feels like it, (usually about 15 or 20 minutes of gameplay) the image starts to shake as you say, and lasts about 15 or 20 seconds, until it fixes itself ... It is desperate.
Before I had a 1080 ti, and a 3080, and had no problem. I don't know if it's Meta's problem, or AMD's, but they should fix it as soon as possible.

Hey, never expected a reply to this post but i’m happy thats there’s someone else with this issue! I was able to fix my issue by swapping motherboards, my Asrock motherboard or 12700KF cpu was likely the problem, i now have an aorus B-series motherboard with a 10700F until i can get a new motherboard. I have diagnosed and suspected every other very single part in my PC, nothing has fixed the issue besides a motherboard swap.

0 Likes

lmao...

0 Likes

Did you figure out any solution? it's realy annoying and causing me problems when playing online...

0 Likes
Elashor
Adept I

Please AMD, fix this sh*t asap... i've been struggling with this issue from the moment i swapped 6800xt for 7900xt. i just add, this can only be observed in the headset(Rift S) when i check flat screen on my desk, it runs normally as usual, smooth...

I don't think the problem is in AMD's end at this point. I'm having the same problem and i believe it's because Oculus / Meta doesn't support the Radeon 7 series yet. I just recently upgraded from a radeon 6700XT to a 7800XT and after that, the stuttering started to occur.

I'm thinking of switching VR headsets because of this.

Same problem here with 7900XT, a year later and still no support. Also desperately looking for an upgrade away from Meta. 

yeah. its very much possible its Meta's problem, the point however remains the same and that is the fact its been going for long enough for those 2 companies to have it fixed months ago..  

Railgunnm
Adept I

The problem is Meta's.... they confirm me in a e-mail... I'm waiting to change to another VR headset.... 

R0nBurgandy
Adept I

The problem is AMD 7000 series GPUs. I have Reverb g2 which is not oculus rift and the problem is that your and my 7000s(7800xt) gpu is starting to throttle, it's like your gpu doesn't recognize that you running a game, it's drooping MHz , it's starts good but after very short time gpu drops MHz to 1000-1400MHz sometimes it goes back over 2000 and drops again and again ,that's why you are getting those spikes in fps, sometimes when MHz drops it never goes back . It's clearly gpu related problem because I get better performance on my old 2070super which is 50% weaker than 7800xt.

I found a solution. It was ASW or motion interpolation after all.. For my VR headset it's is possible to turn it off. I have incredibly smooth fps now but without motion interpolation and it's very important other few steps. 

1 turn off motion interpolation 

2 download and install RivaTuner Statistics server

3 limit your fps via Rivatuner to 45 or 90 if your pc can run 90fps ( check your supported refresh rates and limit to that, it may be different 30 or 60)

4 turn ON in Rivatuner Scanline sync , should be -1

5 Very important turn off Vsync in all games. 

6 enjoy super smooth gameplay but... without motion interpolation.  

7 AMD fix your drivers please 

0 Likes

u may have similar performance in VR as RTX cards are much much more better in VR titles than Radeons are. 7900xtx is worse in VR titles sometimes 30% than 3080 so theres that. i'm switching to 4080/90 as soon as i find one reasonably priced.  as for Meta, fk them too!(never had an issue with my headset, but talking about all the other dirty stuff they got up their sleeve) i want the very same headset you've got. g2 v2, but this gotta be later. or more like early next year. Cant wait for it !!   

i've spent 4generations with Radeons, believing they will get the **bleep** right the next time. they never did. each new lineup they released, i bought it and was hoping they fixed all their downfalls. they never did. i was supporting and vouching for them. feel like an idiot now. enough is enough.  

yo, I'm glad you're happy and finaly enjoying your hard earned money!  

PS: i do switch ASW everytime i put headset on. i think i figured that out the very first day i received my Oculus. if the frames was about to drop by 2 from 80, the ASW kicked in cut the fps in half to 40 and 2 seconds after back to 80. it was horrible experience. whoever came up with this i hope hes fired by now. lol... utter crap of a feature. 

I did that and doesn´t work for me

0 Likes

error

0 Likes
Ananas420
Journeyman III

Update on my end.

I previously had a Gigabyte Aorus A520 motherboard. Just recently i changed it to a Asus TUF B550 Plus and after i was done with the installation i tried vr again. Now the stuttering was constant, unlike before when it happened after 5 minutes, lasted about 15seconds and went away and kept repeating that cycle.

I installed the newest chipset driver on my B550 and after that, VR was working flawlessly without any stuttering or other problems i had before. I'm still going to do more testing but i think the issue was with the chipset driver.

tl:dr

Try updating your chipset drivers!

0 Likes