cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

David_6x7
Journeyman III

Monitor turns off and does not turn back on in response to input. Windows 11 Pro.Adrenaline 23.11.1.

I wish I could say the problem with the monitor failing to turn back on when shut off was fixed with 23.11.1. For me, that doesn't seem to be the case.

AMD R9 5900X, Radeon RX6800XT, ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (wifi), 64Gb RAM, 2 x 1TB NVME, 1 x 4TB SSD.

Symptom: Monitor and/or graphics card shuts off and won't respond/turn back on. Using mouse/keyboard has no effect and the screen stays off. The blank screen occurs at the Windows login splash screen before I can even log into the machine. Rarely the screen may turn on for a second or two in response to mouse/keyboard but immediately turns off again and becomes unresponsive. Problem started two days ago after system running fine for 18 months. I recently updated to the 23.11.1 driver (4 days ago).

NOT a hardware problem. The system dual boots Linux and everything works fine in Ubuntu - this is strictly a Windows 11 problem. I have stress tested the graphics card and monitor in Linux using glmark2, furmark and memtest-vulkan to verify the video card RAM.

Clean install of Windows 11 (I wiped the entire drive when I couldn't resolve the problem - drive formatted - nothing left of previous Windows  11 install). No other software present except whatever Microsoft downloads on the install. Just after the boot reaches the login screen, the screen turns off.

Windows 11 safe boot works. The Windows 11 Basic Display Driver works (if I uninstall the RX6800XT from device manager in safe mode and reboot). Works = screen turns back on.

Windows 11 Remote Desktop works. After turning this on from safe mode, I am able to login to the system after the screen turns off - so it is JUST the screen/video card causing the issue.

Any attempt to reinstall the AMD driver via Adrenaline results in the problem of the screen turning off occurring immediately - before the install is even fully completed.

Changing the value of EnableULPS in the registry appears to do nothing.

I think the issue may be some sort of Windows 11 interaction with the AMD video driver related to power options but I can't figure out what. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Otherwise, I've just been going through a similar thread posted here looking for things that might work.

However, at the moment this machine, which I use for work, is non-functional in Windows 11 due to whatever the issue might be.

0 Likes
1 Solution
David_6x7
Journeyman III

Since I can't find an edit option ... I'll just reply to myself.

RESOLVED?: In my case, the problem appears to have been resolved by power cycling the monitor. I'd tried just about everything I could think of and somewhat accidentally turned off the monitor and the monitor turning off and not turning back on issue appears to be resolved after the power cycle. Moral of the story is to try turning everything on and off since any one of the components involved might have something out of place.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
David_6x7
Journeyman III

Since I can't find an edit option ... I'll just reply to myself.

RESOLVED?: In my case, the problem appears to have been resolved by power cycling the monitor. I'd tried just about everything I could think of and somewhat accidentally turned off the monitor and the monitor turning off and not turning back on issue appears to be resolved after the power cycle. Moral of the story is to try turning everything on and off since any one of the components involved might have something out of place.

0 Likes