Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Auror1968
Journeyman III

Upgrade to AMD Athlon™ X4 845

Hi

I have an older machine with a gigabyte ga-f2a88xm-ds2 motherboard and an A-6400K processor and GTX 750 Graphics card, all works fine with Windows 10. 

I got hold of an athlon x4 845 3.5ghz and swapped it into the machine and windows 10 will not boot, just keeps restarting. As a test I re-installed windows 8.1 and that works fine but I can't get windows 10 working at all.

Has anyone any ideas what might be the issue.

2 Replies
Gale82
Journeyman III

Same problem with Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1 and AMD Athlon X4 845, but on this machine win 10 was allready instaled in 2016 , I was try to reinstall the windows with latest version of win 10 clean install and same  problems started.... Im sent it to service (because wasn't sure what happened and they have reinstaled it with old win 10 version (Im not sure is it 1903 or 1909) and thats worked but was able to get just   couple of updates  and not been able to get update to newer versions of win 10 (probably no support in newer versions for some reassons)...

0 Likes

Went to Gigabyte Support for your Motherboard (Rev 3.2)

Here is the CPU SUPPORT LIST for that above Gigabyte Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A88XM-DS2-rev-32/support#support-cpu

Screenshot 2022-11-07 082158.png

If you Athlon is listed you must have the BIOS Version installed or newer on the far right column for the Mobo to recognize and boot with the new processor.

For the Athlon x 4 845 you need BIOS version FC or newer installed.

Also after changing the processor you must do a CLEAR CMOS so that BIOS will recognize the new Processor if you have the correct BIOS version installed.

Also make sure you have the latest AMD CHIP SET installed either from Gigabyte Support, link above.

EDIT: Downloaded your manual and I don't see anywhere to connect a separate PC SPEAKER to hear the BEEPS you are getting when your boot up.

Do you hear any beeps when you boot up by any chance?

If you do the BEEP Sequence will tell you which hardware BIOS is seeing that is failing it POST Test.

Can you enter BIOS at ALL?