cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Al1
Adept I

Unable to install Drivers for Radeon R9 270 on Win 10 64

I was given an R9 R270 by a friend. It appears to be working fine and benchmarked in 3dMark at 8190.

However, I cannot get any Win 10 drivers to load. The recommended driver on the driver page is:

2020.21.52 -Win10 Legacies

I get an unspported hardware error.

If I try the auto detect software, it too comes up with an unsupoorted hardware message.

I have no previous Radeon drivers on my system.

I went to MSI's page for drivers as it's an MSI card, and they redirected me to the AMD Autodetect software, so obviously no custom drivers.

In the end I installed the Windows XP drivers off the software disk.

However, I need to get Win 10 64 drivers on obviously.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Thanks I've now solved this so will share my solution.

The automated driver utility didn't work and wouldn't offer a viable driver.

The driver download page offered the driver listed above but it wouldn't install either. However, in the download page there is a release notes link. By following this I found in this document a link to legacy drivers further down the page.

However, the legacy driver wouldn't install either!

In the end I solved this by ignoring the recommended options and instead going for the "optional driver" package of legacy and non legacy drivers in a single download package. For some reason this worked where neither current or legacy drivers would install singularly.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

All R9 GPUs are now considered to be Legacy and not supported by AMD driver updates.

THe last AMD driver for your GPU card is from 06/21/2021: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-...

Note: Make sure to use DDU (DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER) with the internet disconnected and AMD Installation folder C:\AMD deleted before installing the full AMD Driver Package you downloaded from AMD.

EDIT: If you still are getting a Installation error please post the exact error and message and run GPU-Z and post an image to see if it shows your GPU Card.

Hi,

Thanks I've now solved this so will share my solution.

The automated driver utility didn't work and wouldn't offer a viable driver.

The driver download page offered the driver listed above but it wouldn't install either. However, in the download page there is a release notes link. By following this I found in this document a link to legacy drivers further down the page.

However, the legacy driver wouldn't install either!

In the end I solved this by ignoring the recommended options and instead going for the "optional driver" package of legacy and non legacy drivers in a single download package. For some reason this worked where neither current or legacy drivers would install singularly.

Glad you finally was able to install your the AMD Driver even though I really don't understand exactly how you did it when you mentioned this in your last reply: " instead going for the "optional driver" package of legacy and non legacy drivers in a single download package"

All the Drivers at AMD Download page for your GPU card are Legacy drivers.

Yeah I'm unsure why the standalone legacy driver won't install nor the support tool suggest the correct driver.

The only difference I can see is whereas the standalones are all labelled as 2020 updates, the optional all in one driver is 2020 update but with a 2017 at the end of the .exe maybe hinting it's an earlier release. Not sure, but just wanted to post the solution for anyone who encoutners the same.

Thanks for all your help.

Okay thanks for clarifying a bit your solution. I was just curious about your solution for my own reference in the future.

0 Likes

Hello! Is it possible to share the exact link? I can't seem to find the 'all in one' package you mentioned.
But I did find previous versions but nothing before 2020 (Assuming you found a 2017 version here...)

All this because I'm having the same issue with a brand new build and was trying to do the same steps you did to no avail.

0 Likes

Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for Non-Legacy AMD Radeon Graphics works in XFX Double D R9 270 (R9-270A-CDFC)

Download: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.5.2-win10-64bit-may21.exe 

0 Likes

hi...i sorted mine out with this version download...working like a charm.

Non-WHQL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-20.11.3-Win10-64Bit-Nov30.exe

0 Likes
dem1
Journeyman III

I just found this thread and tried the solution in my Dell XPS8700 with OEM-installed AMD Radeon R9 270. Amazingly, it worked! The 8700 was recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but was stuck with a less-than-compatible 2017 GPU driver version. Updating to the 2021 driver & software via the optional package worked perfectly using the recommended checkbox selection to completely uninstall current drivers.

0 Likes
tomcorleone
Journeyman III

The correct drivers for an iMac 2014 27 inch with the R9 270x graphics card is in this link.

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/unified_r3_19.30.01.53_whql_200108a-350660c_m.zip

Hope it works for all.

0 Likes