cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

manuvi
Journeyman III

try making drivers working on Debian

I write again because previous was tagged as spam.
I'm not here to joking and waste users time. If you have some problem about this thread write directly to me.
I need my GPU working at full and I want to figure out how to solve the problem.

I want to try to help to make this driver working on actual sid (actual bookworm).
Precondition:
Kernel: 6.3.5 custom build with built in amdgpu driver (always in, not the 'M' option) and firmware files inserted directly in kernel building process (CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE option).
actual opensource Mesa (from debian repo) drivers are at 22.3.6 and games works well (through Steam/Proton), also recent games with DX12.
RX 6750 XT
Ryzen 9 3900XT

Target:
I need to use OpenCL, AMF and also the latest drivers from AMD.
This is what I try:
- download http://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/23.10.1/ubuntu/jammy/amdgpu-install_5.5.50501-1_all.deb
- install with 'sudo dpkg -i amdgpu-install_5.5.50501-1_all.deb
- update the apt library with 'sudo apt update'
Now, just because I don't need amdgpu dkms because I have built in support in kernel, I use this string for install drivers through usecase
- amdgpu-install --usecase=graphics,opencl,amf --no-dkms --accept-eula

and all process goes fine without errors.

When I try to reboot X (in gnome desktop, end session and X will restart and goes to login GDM), X doesn't come up. Just a blink cursor on top left.
To have again my X working I uninstall drivers from console (CTRL+SHIFT+<some F key not F1>) with
- amdgpu-uninstall

Now, trying to find out the reason, I get a Xorg.0 in both cases, working and not working but comparing them with meld, no big differences was found (except date/time they seems to be the same).

What I could check to understand why system is not coming up?

0 Likes
0 Replies