cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DrBHenderson
Adept I

System Crash on AMD Driver Install

I ended up building 4 new PCs for my office with relatively the same components (gaming builds used for computational chemistry).

One build has an issue that I can't figure out. On installing the AMD drivers the system crashes to a black screen somewhere between 20-40% completion. This occurs with multiple editions of drivers (I use DDU every time I try to re-install the drivers, in safe mode with no internet).

This occurs with multiple GPUs, even GPUs that work in other systems (tried Radeon RX580 and RX6600). Through XFX support, they thought it was a motherboard issue. I RMA'd the board twice (ASUS B550-F) and each board had the same issue. I recently tried swapping everything with onto a MSI B550 and the same issue occurs. 

System, with replacements for troubleshooting:

ASUS B550-F Gaming (original), replaced with MSI B550 Gaming (both with latest BIOS)

Ryzen 5 4500 CPU

XFX RX580, then swapped to XFX RX6600 SWFT210

2 NVMe SSDs

32 GB Ram (2 x T-Force RGB sticks)

Windows 10 (originally), then tried with Windows 11 with same results

Scratching my head here and would appreciate any guidance.

1 Solution
DrBHenderson
Adept I

Problem Solved. This makes me feel ignorant; but I realized the monitor I was using was ~10 years old. When I reinstalled the AMD drivers and got a black screen, I tried a newer monitor and everything was working fine.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

are you running 4500's in all  your setups?

Is XMP/DOCP enabled in BIOS? What speed is your RAM running at?

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com?

What make/model power supply are you using?

How are your temps on the problem PC?

I'm curious as to why you would use a 4000 series Ryzen for computational purposes when a 5600 would get you a lot more bang for your buck .. ?

ThreeDee PC specs

Thanks for your quick reply. I am running 5600X CPUs in my other setups. XMP is disabled and my RAm is at 2400 MHz. I was up to date on my AM4 driver and my PSU is a 600W Apevia ATX-ES600. The PSU is another component that differs from my other setups since they are using Thermaltake 600W PSUs.

The CPU/Mobo temperatures have been 31-33 C.

Apevia isn't exactly a quality brand .. never skimp on the PSU! 

ThreeDee PC specs
DrBHenderson
Adept I

Problem Solved. This makes me feel ignorant; but I realized the monitor I was using was ~10 years old. When I reinstalled the AMD drivers and got a black screen, I tried a newer monitor and everything was working fine.

Don't beat yourself up, we've all been there.  Just mark it as a topic on the forum "Lesson Learned". lol

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Very surprising.  I bet nobody expected the monitor to be the fault inducer.  As @Vynski said, we've all been there.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".