cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chuuchuu
Adept I

Trouble with Frame Rate Target Control

v23.12.1 (reported by Adrenaline, is this the driver version as well?)

I'm trying to limit the frame rate of Satisfactory, but nothing seems to work.  I've set FRTC to 60 globally.  There is no FRTC showing in the per-game section.  I've tried setting Satisfactory's rate limit to infinite and to 60.  None of this worked.  I'm getting what appears to be highest possible frame rate (70-200+, depending) in all cases.

What might I be missing?

Bonus question: How do I turn on per-game FRTC?

Thanks!

0 Likes
7 Replies
chuuchuu
Adept I

Ping.  Is this the wrong board for this question?

Surely I'm not the only one trying to limit frame rate..?

0 Likes
felichella
Adept III

I m using frame rate control without any no problem.

In my case i set FRTC to 142 not 144 fps because freesync to keep it always on.
FRTC is impossible to config game by game. It was designed to use with global settings.
In your situation set FRTC limit to 59 fps.

Qoojo
Miniboss

Supposedly using Chill is better. Set min and max fps at the same, and it works equivalently the same by limiting frame rate. There is a per game Chill setting too and it worked for me to set it different for different games.

chuuchuu
Adept I

Thanks!  I guess Chill is the eventual replacement for FRTC, which would explain why the latter was given no per-game settings.  I hadn't the option most of the time because I was using SRS.

My biggest takeaway is to never again use Adrenaline to check framerates.  With Afterburner I see both methods working nicely.  I'll go with Chill per-title as needed.

0 Likes

But chill is not the same as FRTC , however if it solves your problem good.
FRTC is only a frame limiter similar with Vsync 
Chill is based on movement what means your gpu only push when needs to save power.

you can set both lower end fps and higher end fps values in radeon chill to the same number to get a similar effect as frtc but frtc is smoother in my experience; also, chill means no anti lag

Frtc often fights for control with the in game functionality. Try a few things:

-Look for frame limiters in the game and opt to use them instead when available

-Turn off various forms of vsync; in game, in amd global, in amd game profile, everything; if you don't see tearing at the bottom of your screen then you can use freesync without vsync; or you could just let it tear, whatever; this happens because without vsync there is no second buffer the gpu can use as a workbench and will sometimes catch up despite the frame limiter as it takes time for the monitor to refresh.

-Try switching vsync on and off while in game a few times; do the same with frtc; different games operate differently so there's no telling what will set it straight

-Look for the game's config file and see if it has a frame limiter

-if you get it working, consider setting the game's config file to Read Only; not even Windows breaks this rule in most cases

-See if the game has exclusive full screen mode

0 Likes
chuuchuu
Adept I

Is there a known reason for FRTC not being in the per-game settings?  Seems to me this would be a high value feature..?