Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jeconti
Adept I

Strangest software issues - black screen and disabled GPU

I am having the strangest issue with my 7900 XTX. Here it is;

When gaming I will get a black screen with audio still working, and I have to hold down my power button to get the machine to shut off so I can restart. The display never comes back, like in previous times a display driver crash would just flicker black for a second or two and come back with an error popup. 

After I start back up I only have 1 of my 3 monitors, and on a default low resolution. Device manager shows my GPU is disabled. After I right-click to enable my GPU, device manager shows there is an error and states it was unable to load the driver.

After right clicking to re-enabled, I reboot and things are back to normal. 

Here are my PC stats;

Powercolor 7900XTX hellhound 

G-skill DDR5-6000 Expo kit 32gb

Ryzen 9 7950x

Asrock X670e Taichi (1.30AS02 Bios)

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎10/‎7/‎2023
OS build 22621.2428
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

What I have done so far;

Display driver uninstaller and fresh/factory install option for Adrenaline versions 23.9.1/2/3, 23.10.1, 23.20.11.7. I tried every available software I could get that was recent. 

Full fresh windows reinstall was nuclear last ditch effort, and the issue persists. 

I got nothing else at this point. I collected some logs and screenshots and uploaded them here to my google drive. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ik7DqqiFyEQZDjIuqZf9Jzcbk6OZ6g60?usp=drive_link

Open to all suggestions, this is driving me crazy. 

15 Replies
Jeconti
Adept I

Is this happening to anyone else? Is it just me? Would love some help here. 

0 Likes
kdangs
Journeyman III

im also having this issue too... Only happened today actually and once I did a clean DDU, and installed new drivers - no longer able to launch games.

I have a 6900XT

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

I have reviewed your logs and screenshots, and I have a few suggestions:

1. Try using a different power supply.
  2. It is possible that your current power supply is not providing enough power to your GPU, especially when it is under load.
  3. Try updating your BIOS to the latest version.
  4. It is possible that there is a bug in your current BIOS that is causing the issue.
  5. Try using a different GPU driver.
  6. It is possible that there is a bug in the current GPU driver that is causing the issue.
  7. You can download older GPU drivers from the AMD website.
  8. Try disabling any overclocking that you have applied to your GPU.
  9. It is possible that the overclock is causing the issue.
  10. Try running your GPU in safe mode.
  11. To do this, press F8 while your computer is booting up and select Safe Mode.
  12. If the issue does not occur in safe mode, then it is likely caused by a third-party software conflict.

If you have tried all of the above suggestions and the issue persists, then it is likely that your GPU is defective and needs to be replaced.

Here are some additional suggestions that you may find helpful:

• Try connecting your monitor to a different DisplayPort or HDMI port on your GPU.
  • Try connecting your monitor to a different GPU, if you have one available.
  • Try running your GPU at a lower resolution and clock speed.
  • Try disabling any unnecessary startup programs and services.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes

Hi there,

If you read my post you would see I have already performed bios update, tried multiple drivers, used safe mode for DDU. Is there any way to analyze the crash logs in detail to see what happened? 

0 Likes

Hi, Do you happen to have freesync/premium enabled on your monitors and in adrenalin drivers ?

Try disabling it in monitors and driver and see if that is your issue.

I did read on other forums about the black screen of death and was to do with freesync/premium.

0 Likes

also to add:

- disabling hardware acceleration on ALL apps may also fixed the issue - gaming apps that would have hardware acceleration enabled would be steam, discord, google chrome

- was able to resolve the black screen through DDU and installed 23.8.3. Then from there, I also disabled hardware acceleration

- worth disabling AMD FreeSync too as Excalibra2668 has mentioned.

0 Likes

So just to clarify, you were having the same exact issues as the OP and doing these steps completely fixed it for you? Has your GPU disabled since this post 2 weeks ago? I'm having the same exact problems as the OP and I'm desperate to fix my computer

0 Likes
Takurtz07
Journeyman III

I had the EXACT same issue as you described.  Running Furmark, I could get it to consistently black screen in about 2 minutes with the same symptoms you had.  I updated drivers, bios, older drivers, etc.

Then I read that sometimes reseating the card can do the trick.  So, I pulled the card, went down to the next PCI slot, lined it up, and pressed it into place until I heard the satisfying click.  Now it works!  Just finished running Furmark for 40 minutes with no black screen.  Not sure if the cause was a bad seat, bad slot, or whatever, but it did the trick. 

0 Likes
inferno47
Journeyman III

Anyone found a fix yet? Have been experiencing this issue and have had no luck

0 Likes

I am almost certain sure, in my case it's the cable from GPU to power-supply. I got even black screens in BIOS. I unplugged the cable on both sides GPU and power-supply and plugged it again. The cable does not get fully in the power-supply. So I guess by time, it slips out. I have to buy a new cable.

0 Likes
DDuleditall
Journeyman III

Has anyone found a solution yet?. I'm going insane, i can't even use my PC for more than 30 minutes without a crash black screen!!. Even outside of gaming.

0 Likes

I had the same issue. I solved it by replacing the power supply cable between GPU and motherboard.

0 Likes

Are you having the problem in Red devil Rx7900 XTX ? And the problem happened in bios? With me it is not happend in bios

0 Likes

And i have the problem in gaming only

0 Likes

I just built a new rig with a RX 7900 GRE and a 7950X3D and have been having hanging driver issues that I've slowly started resolving. I made sure that all of my Asus Armory Crate drivers were UpToDate and installed AMDs latest chipset drivers instead of the Asus drivers.  

I reverted my Radeon settings back to Default from HYPR-RX (I noticed a distinct performance increase in doing this in one of my games) and turned off FreeSync on my monitor. All of these efforts seemed to reduce the amount to times I would get a driver hang but not completely eliminate it.

I can't see how PSU would be a problem when I can run Helldivers 2 with everything maxed at 1440p for hours with zero issues. IMO, This is 100% a windows 11 / AMD issue with DWM. Why? because if I run games in full screen and not windowed full screen, my driver timeout issues completely stop. 

On my previous build with a 5700xt I resolved my issues by disabling MPO in the registry but I'm extremely annoyed this issue is persisting for years and am holding off on doing any registry editing.  Hopefully this helps someone, I can now get the majority of my games working without an issue. 

EDIT: I was also getting the error "The program ShellExperienceHost.exe version 10.0.22621.3672 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." and ran SFC /scannow and found corrupt windows files that were repaired.

0 Likes