cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

echorausch
Adept I

Strange behavior with RX 560 and Memory Clock

First of all i have to excuse my bad English Skills. I try to explain the Problem the best i can

So, i got en Sapphire RX 560 OC Pulse 4gb Card running on Windows 10 FCU 64 Bit with the newest Driver. ( But Driver doesnt mean anything, it occours on a lot of Version, cert. all i guess )

Bevor i go to Sleep i let the Card run for some Mining. Eth, Sumocooin ect ect so varius Software aswell. So the First Problem is: On Stock Clocks my RX gets 270 h/s on Grafik Mode and about 300 h/s on Compute Mode. But for what ever Reason, in a lot of Cases it does not Matter if i Switch from Grafik to Compute or Compute to Grafik. I will get Stock 270 on Grafik and Compute Mode, OR 300 on both. So thats the first weird behaivor of the Card, Driver what so ever. It seems like sometimes the Card or Driver does not rly recognize that i switcht the Mode.

The Second Problem i have. I like to run the Memory to Mine at 1800 Mhz ( stock is 1500 ) So the Problem here is. I always have to Restart my Computer to make the Changes of the Memory taking Effect. I can not change it on the Fly so to Speak. How i said: In Stock Memory Computing Mode i get arround 300 h/s, when i try now to put up the Memory Clock and set it In Wattman it will stay at 300 h/s no matter if i go 1700 / 1800 / 1900 and so on. Even a Restart of my Mining Programs doesnt Recognize the Overclock. And even no Gaming Benchmarks FPS wise show a diffrence. But asoon as i Restart my Computer i got all of the Sudden 345 h/s on Grafik and Compute ( how i said, doesnt matter sometimes ) Mode at 1800 Memory Clock. This is rly weird !!! And it stays at 340 h/s no Matter if i put the Memory Clock or Core Glock down. Even in Game Benchmarks the same strange behavoir in form of FPS !

So all in all, it seems to have Simply no Impact if i change my Memory or Core Clock Speeds on the Fly. Yes .. when i change it from 1500 to 1700 in Wattman it says that it is 1700 ( even on HW Monitor , GPU-Z and so on ) but for some Reason the Card, or Winows, or the Programms seem not to get it that there was en Change in Clocks.

So, if anyone has a Solution, or a guess or has a simular Problem i rly would to read it.

Thx in advance and sry for my english Skills

0 Likes
5 Replies

Have you set the Power Limit in the Wattman panel to +50 (or the highest +value for the card)? If not, you are wasting your time with any overclocking. AMD graphics performance

0 Likes

I tried to play arround with the Power Limit but it has no effect at all.And yes, i Apply all my Settings in WM.  I think you miss´d my Point her. My Problem is, that my on the Fly changes of Clocks has no Impact to any Software what so ever. I have to restart my Computer every Time to make the Changes Effekt. Another Info, only Memory Clocks affecting the Mining Speed with the Coins that i mine, nothing Else. In Fact: I underclock my Main Core to 1050 to get less Heat. Change Settings of that has absolutly no impact on the Hashrates.

So see her:

Grafik Mode - Stock Mem Clocks 1500 = 270 h/s  | Increase to 1800 and Apply = Still 270 | Restarting Computer = 305  h/s

Compute Mode - Stock Mem Clocks 1500 = 300 h/s | Increase to 1800 and Aplly = Still 300 | Restarting Computer = 350 h/s

So what i tell you, it does not Matter if i switch Clocks down to 1300 or up to 1800 the Hashrate will be the same. Even when i restart the Mining Software or FPS Software it has no effekt. I only get the effect of Over oder Underclocking after a PC restart ! And this seems not to be the way it should work. You should see changes instantly  or after few seconds.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

simple thing hold off mining could be the mining not the card. I got the same card on win 10 Pro 64bit same adrenaline drivers no issue so far but i havnt touched my clock settings as i dont see the point OC as in the long run takes longevity out of the cards & dont run stable. An opinion is hold off mining. run anti virus leave the card on stock clocks as the freq will increase as the card needs it. I monitor mine while gaming on stock settings & honestly think they go much better. Btw whats your mobo might be your mobo causing your spikes or could be a sign you psu is on its way out had psu's fail making cards previously exibit this behaiviour. I recently replaced my  psu as had a stepsons fail so was lucky with mine. Tho before i get carried away thrashing my card i lightly warm my card up before i start pushing it. Starting to think its somewhere mobo related not card.

0 Likes

Hey There,

My PSU is only 3 Month old and it is a 600 Crossair so i doubt it has something to do with Power or anything.

After some research in the Internet i found that iam not the only Person with this Problem. And to make it clear, it has nothing to do with the Mining Programms because this Issue also apears in Benchmarks and Games FPS wise.

I tested my Card now on Windows 7 64 Bit and guess what, there is no Problem what so ever to change Clocks on the Fly ! I started with 1500 Mem Clock and got 275 h/s ... as soon as i pumped it up to 1800 Mem Clock and pressed aplly the Hashrate went up to 330 h !  In Windows 10, nothing happens when i change my Mem Clock. The Hashrate will stay the Same. But AFTER a Computer Restart the new Clocks take Effect.

You can tell me what you want. This is a Driver/Win  related Problem. And i tested from 17 to the new 18. Driver Versions. Its all the Same no matter what Driver Version i Use. This now Explains why my Card dont get fully Utilized even when i playing Games ! On Win 10 i have some terrible stutters because the Utiliziation of the Card swings beetween 50 - 100 Procent ! Even on a fresh Install with all Updates, it doesnt Matter.

On Win 7 .. everything runs very Smooth without any Hicks or anything.  But why should i return to Win 7 .. makes no sense !

Dont get me wrong, i like my AMD Card but the Adrenalin Drivers are just a Mess on Win 10 ! And iam not the only Person with some kind of weired Problems

plumboby
Miniboss

Having same issues with creators update. A bit mess driver wise from microsoft & AMD. I am running on older drivers atm with my rx 560 4G OC. running a 600w psu as i found since last few updates have been throttling the power output from the psu. All i have done is cranked my power setting up on my build atm & running stable atm. I am holding off any new adrenaline drivers atm till AMD & MS sort the bugs being thrown up. My build is a sandy bridge i5 2400 8gig ram 120g sandisk ssd. I only got mine up & running stable been down for the last 2 weeks coz of issues. 1 trick with using creators update it scrambles & mangles hard drives so atm to alieviate any issues been doing clean install boots to ssds working so far alot better more stable. Had the creators update completely obliterate 3 hard drives. Lesson Learn with running AMD drivers with 10 Pro creators update atm is to run on ssd on a clean boot & only load up the programs that are needed & run any games on a seperate storage drive saves an issue if anything goes down. I am building all mine this way as had 2 go down to creators update but finally sorted both. Got 1 on creators update no issues & 1 is running 50/50 atm wont reconised storage drive, tho i know its to do with the messed up creators update patch as i will be reinstalling 10 clean & trying again. Another thing is if running Seagate or Hitachi hard drives 10 kills them. Running sandisk as its owned by WD atm, Anything on WD Blue sandisk or intel ssds or hard drives are running prety good. I build a few desktops got 4 desktops with stepsons running a desktop each on 10 Pro creators update & mine. New to AMD  but know my way round alot of programing tho atm anything i have been finding or noticing i have been referring on to the driver team & to Microsoft.

0 Likes