6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 10:07 PM by kingfish

AMD graphics performance

kingfish

Santa was good to a lot of people this year, and a lucky few got a new AMD graphics card or laptop with AMD graphics. There are a few who don't see the improvement they were looking for or expected....especially vocal are the crossfire believers. My opinion is that we as consumers are not given enough information to make our own choice as to how we want to use the electricity we pay for. Computers, laptops, and graphics cards are promoted for their power efficiency. But they are geared for the enterprise clients, not gamers. AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, Microsoft, etc. all do the same. Don't limit your thinking to one graphics card's cost in power/electricity, think what 800 of those consume a month in a enterprise environment. The lower electrical cost is the deal maker.So we know that AMD graphics cards (and laptops) have a low power setting...ULPS. This is one of the things crossfire users are (or should be) aware of. This default graphic card setting turns off cores or cards to save power/electricity and to turn them on when 'needed' ...but this introduces a delay. Stutter. Are you buying this high dollar stuff to save on your electric bill? Fortunately there is a simple fix for that > ULPS: How to disable  (and I recommend doing it manually and each time you update). Your AMD graphics card has a Power Limit setting in Overdrive. The default setting is 0. That is a power saving (electricity)  setting that throttles your card when it begins to draw more power...like when your gaming. Enabling Overdrive and Raising the Power Limit to it's Highest + value (currently +50 or +20 depending on the card) Disables this throttling feature. It is not overclocking, it just allows the card to perform to its maximum capabilities. Your processor is doing the same thing. 4 core processor? 3 are shut down to save power...introducing a delay as they cycle on and off. There is a fix for that as well > direct to post

The point I'm trying to make is some issues are a result of several changeable settings that are not beneficial to a gamer...and not necessarily the fault of the laptop or graphics card.