Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kabukijo
Adept II

Starfield !?!

Hello,

Iam asking myself if AMD gpu users experience allot of random app hangs/freezes in this game?

I have noticed an interesting twist..  When iam inside starships, buildings .. in short in small close places .. 

The game keeps running...   

But when in cities particullary , and also when trading with shops/merchants in city..

The game just stops responding !! 

I get , the game is brand new and in its enfant stage still .

But iam wondering if many have random exits from the game at any given place / locations ?

NOw, i doubt my hardware is at fault here... since all other (older ←) games do run just perfect... 

I.E: Elden Ring, Remnant Series, even Armored Core VI never has crashed yet ... AC6 wich is fairly brand new game too ...hmm..

My build :

CPU: 5900x

GPU: RX6600

RAM: DDR4 / 32GB

cheers,

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
8 Replies
kabukijo
Adept II

Since no one responds, allow me to update this issue myself ...

First of , this game is poorly optimized imo !!

Seems this game is having issues when running in RSR / FSR mode !! 

Pretty much all of my games use RSR to upscale 1080p to 1440p for more fps ... and runs just fine..

Except for starfield so it seems !   Turning off any upscaled method seems to have cured hang up/ freezes !

But what an horrible 40-50 fps , at low settings no less o_0

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes

I turn off fsr and my fps jumps from 59 to 140 with no issues. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
0 Likes
Variables
Journeyman III

Yes, I am having issues with Starfield, with my RX6700XT as well.    Mine seemed at first to crash to desktop in specific locations in game, or maybe from certain save files, but then would become more frequent, then eventually crash as soon as I start the game.  The first time Bethesda support had me use the AMD Cleanup tool to remove the driver management software, then reinstall it, since there was a brand new driver out.  That fixed it and for a time Starfield ran fine for me for a few days.  Crashes began again though, and now back to crash as soon as I try to load any save.  This time the Adrenaline/driver reload doesn't help.  I list more details in a discussion here.

0 Likes

Hello,

As far for the crashes to desktop..

I have pretty much solved that by doing an CLEAN sweep of ALL AMD software from the GPU part from my system.

down to any traces and leftover of old driver installs in windows Registry.

And reinstalled the gpu package.

since i have done that, no more frequent crashes...

Be carefull of an overclocked GPU though, manually or OC by → manufactory !!! 

Yes, now i own an 7800xt OC challenger edition that can use an utility / tool provided by the manufacturer to set an OC preset in that tool to achieve higher clock speeds..

Lo and behold, once i do that SF crashes again.. So yes, Overclocked gpu's ARE VVERY VERY mcuh GAME dependent!!  One game is more prone to OC than other games in my experience .. !

So make sure, atleast gpu speeds work at default speeds !

cheers,

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Driver 23.10.1 mentioned a fix for Starfield crashes, but that driver was pulled due to some other issue with a couple of other games. Once the 23.10.1 driver is restored, it might help.

0 Likes

I wonder if the preview driver release (for afmf) 23.30.01.02 is based on the latest official driver 23.10.1 ?

Because IT did not fix SF crashes.. Appearantly i spoke to soon -_- 

I have noticed the game runs much much more stable , when upscaling (FSR) and Film Grain BOTH INGAME SF is disabled !!

i have noticed that some settings in BOTH Radeon Center and the GAME collide with eachother resulting in crashes .... !!!!

Because when disable nearly everything, SF runs for hours and hours over here ... whereas turning on these neat features results in more frequent crashes !!!

THAT SUCKS..  Cuz fluid motion in remnant 2 is REALY awesome... i GET like almost 200FPS on Ultra Settings → 1440p ^^ = and MOST IMPORTANT → NO CRASHES .. 

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I've been playing Starfield since release and ever since the last minor patch (where they added FOV adjust) the game hasn't run as well, I'm seeing stutter and hitching, and mission waypoints are glitchy to the point of showing in the wrong location and not showing at all.  So I'd blame the game first.

Ryzen 5800xd, radeon 6950xt. Adrenalin 23.9.3

0 Likes

I know.. SF leaves much to be desired as far as the performance and stability imo !

It's LITTERALLY the ONLY game on my system that doesn't run 100% smooth and does crashes to desktop frequently !!

As for the crashes, i don't have frequent crashes when adjusting certain settings BOTH → INGaME & Radeon Center ..  

And i have thoroughly checked that..  And my findings is , that FSR2 + Film Grain combo ingame is an issue .. And in Radeon center , when enable Sharpening AFfect , using RSR = CRASHES too 0_o  !!!

One of the weirdest game i have played in my life in that regard °_° !

0 Likes