cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Saykyoo
Adept I

Smart Access Memory causing crashes

Hi, like i said in a subject i encounter a crashes caused by a Smart Access Memory being enabled on my pc. (B650e Taichi Lite, Asrock PG 7900xtx, 7800x3d, win 11). When i have S.A.M enabled almost every game crashes after some time:

The Finals - after a minute or few seconds whole pc i stuttering like crazy, slowing down. I have to close the game wait few seconds and everything is okay.

Warzone - crashing whole game after few seconds of a match

iRacing - slowing game after few seconds of a race and than went black screen

I did disabled the S.A.M and there is no more crashes. The problem is that i would like to use this on my pc cause before the crashes games are working way smoother than with SAM disabled. CoD has 80-100 more fps when sam is enabled. (On some maps i can play whole match with no crash). CS2 feels much smoother when smart access memory is on.

I did try few different gpu drivers (newest, a bit older, beta drivers), i did update my bios, tried it with xmp enabled/disabled and nothing helps.

Does anyone encounter the same problem or have a solution for that?

12 Replies
2DEZstb
Adept II

Hello, saykyoo. I have the same MBD, taichi lite. Actually, SAM from Asrock is already activated at the factory... I'm surprised that you still have to activate it. For comparison, do you have other games with activated S.A.M. tried? my setup is r5 7600 + rx7900xt.
about problems with s.a.m would be something new.
try the following...
Uninstall chipset drivers (cpu)...uninstall radeon software (gpu) with driver cleanup amd tool.
bios reset (that you get to asrock standard values, no xpm activated)... now check in the bios whether re-size bar/sam is activated.
Reinstall chipset drivers from the AMD official site (5.08.02.027) and then Radeon software Adrenalin 23.12.1.
After successful installation, check in the Radeon software whether s.a.m. is activated.should already be activated.test your games...still problems...amd support
greetings

0 Likes

SAM is indeed enabled at the start but it was causing the problems. I find out this after checking everything else. I will try to reinstall chipset drivers and reset everything to default. We will see if that helps

0 Likes
Saykyoo
Adept I

@2DEZstb I did bring default bios settings, uninstalled Radeon Software, Chipset driver, used a cleanup tool for gpu drivers. Than i installed a new chipset driver (the version was different than i had before), installed a newest gpu drivers, kept default settings and the problem is still there. Played like 2 minutes and after that the game slowed down to 15fps, sound was glitching and i had to alt+f4 to close the game. I think i have to contact with amd support for that. Hope that they will have a solution

2DEZstb
Adept II

I can hardly imagine that the CPU or GPU is faulty, but that can also happen.
Maybe reinstall the games again, install them on a different hard drive and test?
Are the cable connections all correct?
Network drivers, audio drivers... it can't be anything big.
Otherwise, a new chipset driver and GPU driver will come out one day, but I don't think these are faulty.

greetings

0 Likes

What bios ver are you using ? @2DEZstb 

0 Likes
2DEZstb
Adept II

2.06.AS03
[Beta]

0 Likes
Saykyoo
Adept I

I reinstalled whole OS, installed drivers by hand , set everything on default and now pc doesnt crash.

2DEZstb
Adept II

new chipset driver released...Revision Number
6.01.25.342 .....31.1.2024.....File Size
66MB...
If you have any problems or questions again, feel free to ask me. You can also find me on the official AMD discord.
stay healthy, stay safe

greetings

0 Likes
c1ncyn15m0
Adept I

I hate Google search, this article would have saved me so many agonizing hours of testing what was causing Black screens in Warzone! I got so fed up I reset my bios to default, and the game played without issue. Then I made the connection that SAM had been disabled and that was the issue all along. Long story just to say I was in the same boat as you and wish Google was smarter to push this to 7900xtx owners.

Bartek666
Journeyman III

Hi. I apologize in advance for my English. I have a Hellhound 7900xtx graphics card. I'm having issues with some games crashing due to driver timeouts. I did this and turned off the Smart access Memory options. I've been playing for some time and I haven't had a single game crash yet, and previously I had a problem with Horizon Zero Dawn and a few other games. I only noticed that after turning off this option, the game's performance dropped dramatically. Will you finally fix this SAM software? There are clearly problems with it in my case, out of 40 games played, including 7 games with SAM turned on, it throws me to the desktop, after turning SAM off the problem disappears.

MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI motherboard

MSI MPG A1000G 1000W 80 Plus Gold PCIe5.0 power supply

graphics PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Hellhound 24GB GDDR6

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D processor

LANCOOL III housing

G.Skill Flare X5 memory, DDR5, 32 GB, 6000MHz, CL30

Kingston KC3000 2TB game drives

for the Lexar NM620 512GB system

Arctic Freezer II 360 cooling.

additional fans

Lian Li UNI FAN SL-INF 140 ARGB PWM 140mm Black 2 pcs.

0 Likes
crystalyser
Adept III

This Chipsetdriver (from Feb 2023) is the only one, wich i dont have constant driver crashes, reboots etc in EVERY game or desktop also
Only when playing COD Warzone do I rarely have a dx12 crash at the moment, since the last Windows 11 update (which of course you can no longer uninstall...)

AMD Chipset Driver 5.02.19.2221 

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes
Gamer96
Journeyman III

Dude this Post Saved me from buying a New GPU it almost made me insane to find what was wrong with my machine. finally after 5 weeks of Troubleshooting,replacing parts,repaste parts,exchange thermalpads ,reset bios,install fresh windows 11  and roll back Drivers i found your post finally my pc is finally able to play games aigan having Smart Acess Memory fully disabled .

𝘚𝘺𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘮 𝘚𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘴 :

𝘈𝘔𝘋 𝘙𝘺𝘻𝘦𝘯 5 3600 

𝘎𝘚𝘒𝘐𝘓𝘓 𝘈𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘴 32𝘎𝘉 (4𝘹8) 𝘋𝘋𝘙 4 3200𝘮𝘩𝘻

𝘗𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳 𝘊𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘳 𝘙𝘦𝘥 𝘋𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘭 𝘙𝘟 5700 𝘟𝘛 

0 Likes