Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chipsdotmp4
Journeyman III

Ryzen Master PBO Corrupted system files

Hello,

After applying some PBO settings in Ryzen Master for my 5800x and restarting, I was presented with a nice shiny BSOD with error code 0xc000021a. After a quick search this error code pertains to corrupted system files, and after some tinkering and alternative solutions I was forced to reinstall windows. This is incredibly inconvenient and I feel as if it points to a bug in the software, as when I booted into Windows Safe Mode and uninstalled Ryzen Master, then restarted, the blue screen persisted as if actual system files or registry files were corrupted by Ryzen Master.

Thanks to Windows' installation media keeping old files, I still have all of my old data in the windows.old folder, and I do have the MEMORY.DMP that was created. If you'd like something else I can provide it so long as you tell me the default file path for it.

0 Likes
3 Replies
DenisVFS
Journeyman III

About 18 months later and it's still a problem, at least for me.

I am getting boot errors caused by corrupted windows system files and I supect the cause is AMD Radeon Drivers of my RX 5500 XT.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

Corrupted Windows files usually occur as a result of either issues with the system drive, or unstable memory clocks or timings.

OP doesn't state what settings in Ryzen Master were changed that resulted in BSOD, but any overclocking can result in instability.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

This is the meaning of your BSOD error from MS SUPPORT:

Ryzen Master caused Win Logon Fatal error:

Bug Check 0xC000021A: WINLOGON_FATAL_ERROR - The WINLOGON_FATAL_ERROR bug check has a value of 0xC000021A. This means that the Winlogon process terminated unexpectedly.

Cause

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This mismatch can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

Resolving an error in a user-mode device driver, system service, or third-party application

Because bug check 0xC000021A occurs in a user-mode process, the most common culprits are third-party applications. If the error occurred after the installation of a new or updated device driver, system service, or third-party application, the new software should be removed or disabled to isolate the cause. Contact the manufacturer of the software about a possible update.

Remarks

• Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. The System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. Use the following command to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe).

Console

• SFC /scannow

For more information, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

• Run a virus detection program. Viruses can infect all types of hard disks that are formatted for Windows, and the resulting disk corruption can generate system bug check codes. Make sure the virus detection program checks the Master Boot Record for infections.

• Verify that the system has the latest updates installed. To detect which version is installed on your system, select Start, select Run, type winver, and then press ENTER. The About Windows dialog box displays the Windows version number (and the version number of the service pack, if one is installed).

You probably could have repaired your Windows by using the SFC /scannow command line in a elevated Command Prompt/Powershell or enter Windows Advanced Startup Menu and selecting "Repair Startup Windows" by restarting your PC 3 times before loading Windows or simple do a Windows Restore point.

Note: IF you need to program PBO use BIOS Settings instead rather than Ryzen Master to avoid those types of issues.

0 Likes