cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brakespear
Adept II

RX7600 drivers replaced by Windows?

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 7600 OC, have been having a lot of problems since first installing with Adrenalin 23.5.1, most of which I have managed to clear up but

with one big one remaining.

When testing the card with GPU-Z I had always been getting zero readings for some of the details, especially GPU Clock and Memory. I was

then testing other drivers (including 23.5.2), none of which were compatible with the RX 7600.

After then reinstalling 23.5.1 I now get what look like the correct readings for GPU Clock and Memory in GPU-Z (although still with a generic name rather than the actual model of the card). So I tried playing a game (RE4) and was able to play for longer than I had previously but still, after twenty minutes or so, get a black screen as the card stops putputting to the monitor (audio continues to play). After having to restart the PC and trying to access Adrenalin I get a message regarding Windows Update changing my display drivers (although I have already disabled all the options in Windows for this) and they are no longer compatible with Adrenalin. GPU-Z is back to displaying zeros also.

It doesn't look like it is actually replaced as if I rollback the driver it just goes back to the Microsoft basic display driver.

Reinstalling 23.5.1 gives access to Adrenalin back and GPU-Z displays the corect amount again but the cycle continues.

EDIT:

System:

Ryzen 5 5600X (so no integrated graphics)

Windows 11 Home

Sapphire Pulse RX 7600 OC (previous card RX580 but removed drivers prior to installing new card)

16GB RAM

0 Likes
1 Solution

The power draw seems right, but I can't find anything about the max temp of a RX 7600. I can only assume max would be 110c like the previous gen. Is there another system you can try the GPU in?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Here is a guide to stop the updates that keep overwriting the AMD official drivers

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

You should follow the guide then use DDU to remove old drivers, restart the PC and reinstall the AMD drivers from the site. 

I hope this helps. If it does not, reply and let me know. Someone else may have found a solution.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't seen this one before so gave it atry but unfortunately the same thing occurs - almost thinking it is a misreport of the actual situation and the driver is falling over itself at some point (or the card).

0 Likes

This is unfortunate. Typically this works to stop allowing the driver updates coming through Windows Update. I hope someone with a similar issue has found a way to resolve the issue. Have you tried using older drivers, or is this an issue with every driver version for this GPU?

0 Likes

I've tried the two drivers prior to 23.5.1 and also 23.5.2 but none of them are compatible with the RX 7600 (according to the installer).

0 Likes

I believe 23.5.1 is the earliest compatible driver. When I look it up it appear 23.5.1 is the only functional driver for that specific card. I never understood why Windows update would overwrite drivers like that especially considering the fact that only one driver supports that card. 

So you tried the group policy editor guide I sent? I mean if thats the case I personally wouldn't know what else to try. What happens if you DDU and reinstall the drivers while Windows Update is paused, because that should stop Windows from installing any and all updates until it is unpaused.

I was having the same issue as brakespear, had to reinstall the driver twice yesterday after crashes, updated to https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-10-01-41-vlk-extn today to hopefully see if that resolves it

will give this a go, thanks.

EDIT: well, GPU-Z at least knows which card it is now, which is an improvement, will give some games a go.

unfortunately the problem remains - RE4 blackscreened after about two minutes. Error on trying to start Adrenalin after restarting Windows doesn't mention Windows Update anymore just 'the version of the AMD software is not compatible with your currently installed graphics driver'.

0 Likes

i did - have also disabled it via the registry and Device Manager. I will try pausing Windows Update as well and see if that has any effect.

0 Likes

after trying the new drivers mentioned by 0xgingi above and experiencing the same issue although with a slightly different message, I did try pausing Windows Update but unfortunately it made no difference. Also it seems the card is now being disabled in Device Manager rather than just the drivers being altered somehow.

0 Likes
brakespear
Adept II

i rolled back to 23.5.1 because although the new preview drivers identify the card correctly they seem to cause black screen crashes quicker than 23.5.1. Just to see what would happen I enabled ray tracing in RE3 and the game black screened immediately (in the options menu), can't get back in to change it as soon as the title screen is due to appear the game black screens. Wondering if I have a faulty card and the driver issues were just masking it.

EDIT: just tried playing a game windowed so I can see Hardware Monitor and the hot spot is listed as 92 degrees C for the card, GPU itself listed as around 75 degrees but memory junction at around 85 degrees. Power draw at around 120-140 W

0 Likes

The power draw seems right, but I can't find anything about the max temp of a RX 7600. I can only assume max would be 110c like the previous gen. Is there another system you can try the GPU in?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I just found this video that also might help with Windows overwriting drivers. 

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

The issue regarding the RX 7600 not being recognized correctly in AMD Software should be resolved in the 23.7.1 Adrenalin driver which can be downloaded here

0 Likes