cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Variables
Journeyman III

RX6700XT Starfield was crashing to desktop while playing, but now crashing on startup.

Hello all. 

I bought an RX6700XT bundled with the Starfield Premium Steam code, and initially it ran ok, save a few infrequent crashes to desktop.  Later on over time crashes became more frequent, and eventually get to the point the game locks up on startup.  Monitoring performance during this period, it seemed like GPU utilization always spiked max preceding the crash.   I submitted ticket to Bethesda and they suggested using AMD's cleanup utility to remove Adrenaline software, and to re-download the new driver software again.  This worked great, and I was able to run the game fine for several days on stock Medium settings.  

Several days later, I began having some crashes during gameplay again, and again ever more frequently,  to the point the game will not launch again, only this time the GPU utilization was never pegged max before the crashes.  I attempted Bethesda's cleanup/reinstall driver trick again, but it hasn't helped this time around.  

I have a Dell XPS8940, upgraded from stock with the Radeon card, 32g Memory, and a bigger 2TB SSD, but otherwise a stock Dell with the stock proprietary 500W factory PSU, that would be a pain to replace given it's odd physical size and Dell design connectors I have learned.  I had been concerned the 500W PSU might be the limiting factor, but the Adrenaline reload seemed to fix everything, so I assume it is good enough for what I have at the moment.  The game acknowledges that it meets all requirements and presets everything to Medium, with FPS turned on.  It ran fine like that when it was working, but I've turned it off and turned some other settings down in game to try to help.

Despite it running so well while it was running better, and feeling like it shouldn't be needed given that GPU utilization had stopped pegging, I have read articles and tried to take all of the little changes and precautions I could find, like Verifying file integrity via Steam, turning off overlays, running Starfield as administrator, AMD and in game settings tweaks in the Adrenaline app, and lowering in game settings.  I had disabled the integrated Intel graphics on the Dell motherboard via device manager before the first fix.  Running DxDiag gives me "There is a problem with Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 22' ",  which I assume is referring to me having it disabled.  I hate asking for help before I've tried all the basics, but I'm at a loss and stuck waiting for Bethesda to respond again.

Specs: (I can share whole CPUID CPU-Z file if needed.)

Intel Core i7 10700 Comet Lake

Dell model 0KV3RP motherboard

32GB DDR4 memory

If any other diagnostic info that I can gather would help, please advise.

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

underpowered garbage power supply would be the cause of your woes ..  Bethesda can't help with underpowered hardware

You run the risk of damaging your new video card trying to power it with your current power supply that you are seemingly stuck with

You could try running an external secondary power supply to power just the GPU .. not ideal, but would mitigate your current dilemma 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
Variables
Journeyman III

Yeah I've been concerned that the 500w may be starving things.  After the driver reinstall I felt a bit easier about it though.  Not sure why things are messing up again now.  Any way I can pinpoint this more solidly as the diagnosis before I commit to another piece of hardware?  I am actually considering just beginning another build, I could move most of my replacement components to a new cpu and motherboard then I'd be unlimited by my PSU choices.   That still seems a bit scary given the problems people are having even with much better GPUs than mine, but I guess I could set my self up to be ready for a better card when I can afford it later.

0 Likes

5700xt on an AM4 w/Seasonic Focus 850wtt 80+ Platinum PSU .. no issues

RX 6800 on an AM5 setup w/Corsiar RM850x 80+ Gold PSU .. no issues

7900xt on an AM5 setup w/Corsair HX1200 80+ Platinum .. no issues

I just sold my old setup:

6700XT on an AM4 setup w/EVGA GQ 850wtt 80+ Gold .. no issues

I had an RX550 2GB GPU on my wife's setup for a bit that was having driver timeout issues and other symptoms that one would attribute to the video card being/going bad

I replaced her garbage Thermaltake RGB Smart 500wtt 80 Plus (white rated) PSU with a Segotep 600wtt 80+ Gold power supply and all her issues went away .. now my wife runs the above mentioned 5700xt and Seasonic PSU

Whatever you end up with putting together .. never skimp on the power supply

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
Variables
Journeyman III

Interesting list.  I'm inclined to agree with you there.  What do you think of the Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 V2 Full Modular, 850W? 

I found some cables that claim to be able to adapt to the Dell Motherboard, but during my last tests I noticed that my CPU temp is also going way up.  May be best to just put together a new tower build and move my gpu and new drive over to it.  Just so odd that it ran better for a while and suddenly got so unstable again, I hope nothing went bad internally on the GPU.  Other games still seem to run fine though now.

0 Likes