Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

drumspirit
Adept II

RX 7900 XTX driver timeout - I am giving up

Hello AMD,

Everything is in the title.

A quick glance at my event viewer below,  in which I have created a special filter for display driver issues, will make you understand my deep disappointment

I am giving up. As Linkin Park says :

"I tried so far, I tried so hard,

In the end, it doesn't even matter".

Asking for RMA + refund to vendor. I am going back to NVidia. I can't use this device without the fear it will crash at any time. I can't enjoy most of my recent games.

I have tried every single tweaks and tricks I could found into the thousand existing threads on the internet about "amd driver timeout". Just type into Google "7900 xtx driver timeout"
None of the given solution have worked so far (disabling MPO, removing XMP, removing any PBO or CPB, disabling hardware acceleration here and there, disable FreeSync, forcing VSync, lowering frequency, lowering Watts, removed some softwares like MSI Afterburner, Riva Tuner, created exclusion list with MalwareBytes, removed MalWarebytes). Something that might help the driver to be stable is lowering FPS from 85 to 100 depending the game. Sometimes even until 60 fps.

But this is not solution. I want to use this 7900 XTX with the maximum of power it can deliver. I am not buying a Ferrari to drive a random pickup car.

I just want to play games peacefully. What I am doing is loosing time trying to fix this. I have spent so many hours regarding this, I can't go further anymore.

drumspirit_0-1690666385394.png

My specs for those who would ask :

Ryzen 9 5900x

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus

32Gb 3600MHz G.Skill

Be Quiet 1000W Platinium 80+ (espacially bought for the purpose)

Samsung 980 Pro NVme SSD M.2 drive

MSI Optix MAG32"something" 165Hz

I am not whining nor complaining. I just want AMD to know my deep disappointment. I am giving up.

My best regards.

20 Replies
jsk68
Challenger

I never saw you mention using DDU, Download DDU and the latest Amd driver, disconnect from the internet then run DDU then install the driver, if that doesn't work return the card.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Also make sure you aren't running both AMD Adrenaline software and Afterburner at the same time, too.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model 7900XTX?

As mentioned .. run the program called DDU to remove all past/present drivers of whatever GPU's you have ran on this install of Windows ... reboot .. and THEN install latest  GPU drivers from AMD.com

A couple of other things to do/try if you want

Make sure your BIOS is up to date on your motherboard

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU

Make sure your firmware is up to date on all your SSD's .. (Especially all your Samsung SSD's)

What model be quiet! 1kw PSU?

IF you are able to, I'd try a different 1kw or bigger PSU .. I run the Corsair HX1200 to power my ASRock Phantom Gaming 7900XT .. and it's been a great setup for me

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
drumspirit
Adept II

Hello people,

@GreatnessRD 

I did not mention all these points because I have tried all of them even other things you don't mention like sfc /scannow ... I also unpackaged the .exe of AMD drivers and manually installed the driver alone...

Nothing works.

My BIOS is up to date, my system is up to date, Windows has been cleanly re-installed for the purpose, my SSDs are up to date - Samsung is not publishing firmwares for a long time now. The DDU thing done tones of times; last time was yesterday. I tried to install Windows drivers : that did not help.

I have also disable the Resizeable bar, disabled SAM...

Yesterday I have installed older Adrenaline drivers 22.12.2 as I red some people rolled back and that helped.

edit : driver timeout this morning a 11:30 - this driver was even worse, game was stuttering as hell. Rolled back to the latest whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.7.1-win10-win11-july6

@jsk68 

I had unsintalled MSI Afterburner not to run it in the same time with Adrenaline. This is not the cause. I have also removed CAM software. I have created folder exclusions to drivers, disabled then uninstalled MalwareBytes. Nothing helped.

Disabled Hardware acceleration on Steam, disabled every overlays. I am not running Discord while playing.

I did the TDR thing into the registry - it is even worse. Sometimes the system is not going back to desktop I have to reset it with the button.

drumspirit_1-1690703739176.png

@ThreeDee 

My PSU model is a Straight Power 1000w - I would not admit that the power draw is unsuffiscient. I can't do a test with a bigger one because I don't have.

That is the model : https://www.bequiet.com/fr/powersupply/1773

Before posting this reply, I had assured my self that PCI cables were on a separated lane. I can confirm they are. Took the occasion to re-check every the plugs. However, some dudes mentioned that "the separated lane thing" did not help at all. I confirm it is not.

I am using a single monitor. I did not try to use the HDMI instead of the DP port. By the way, I have tried every DP ports on the card what did not help either. I would not believer a cable can make a driver time out, that would be crazy.

A short list games that I can't play peacefully - driver timeout very often at anytime :

- Dying Light 2 (it seems that 100 fps lock make the driver more stable - at 120fps it becomes unstable at any time - I have also noticed it occures more during small cinematics when pnj talking for a quest or story cinematics),

- Horizon Zero Dawn (whatever I do, it finishes to a driver timeout - I just gave up),

- Assassin's Creed Valhalla (I can play it if I lock fps to 85),

Short list of games for which "driver timeout" occured once :

- DOOM Eternal,

- No Man's Sky,

Games that work like a charm :

- GTA 5,

- Outter Worlds,

- Dishonnered 2,

I know you are all trying to help and I appreciate that. Thank you fellows. But I have spent so many hours going through this... Even this morning again while checking the cables. In my entire life, I have never been to go so far. I have build my computers since I am 15 and I am reaching the 40s'. I know I can do mistakes; but... Well, no, here the devil belongs to somewhere else.

These are my favorites... Nobody can tell I haven't tried to collect solutions over here and there.

drumspirit_0-1690702782108.png

I am so disappointed.

I was so glad to buy an AMD card and believe in it. I sold my previous NVidia for this one and I don't have a backup card now.
I will return the card and go back to NVidia. I am sorry.

Thanks for reading.
Drumspirit.

jsk68
Challenger

You know it is possible to get a bad card, Amd or nvidia right? I've owned close to 20 Amd cards over the last 20 years and NEVER had the problems you have. It sucks to have issues especially with new expensive equipment I hope you get it sorted what ever route you take.

Thank you mate.

I don't want to go into war against AMD. I had K6 3D, and a 960 XT Pro 20 years ago.Look at the old thing haha

drumspirit_0-1690709437324.png

I had a 3700x and now I am the owner of 5900x. I like AMD products' as much as I like NVidias'.

However, I must admit that I have been disappointed this time

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate moral support.

drumspirit
Adept II

Something I haven't tried so far :

Limit the clock frequency to vendor's specs into the driver.

If you look at MSI website, core clock boost is up to 2500MHz

drumspirit_1-1690709584951.png

Link below :

Radeon-RX-7900-XTX-GAMING-TRIO-CLASSIC-24G Specification 

The GPU clock ramps up to 3000MHz sometimes and is way above the 2500MHz announced by vendor.

Whan I look into the driver, 2500 MHz is the 100% setting by default :

drumspirit_2-1690709695711.png

I will try that, but as far as I remember, some dudes said into some forums it did not help either to force the 2500 MHz max FCLK.

I'll tell you later.

0 Likes
stan
Elite

1. Check you memory (use y-cruncher to test imc/ram).

2. Check your power (try swap pcie connector or use another)

If you enable xmp, try disable it.

0 Likes

Thanks for these advices.

- I have already disabled XMP, forced 3200MHz; 3000MHz; even stock FLCK 2166MHz. None avoided the driver to time out

- I have performed the y-cruncher (thanks for that soft I did not know it :))

Here are the results

drumspirit_1-1690755698483.png

However,  I already Memtested my ram - did not find any error.

Last things I am doing :

- Locking the FLCK of the GPU at 2500MHz maximum,

- Remove one by one my RAM chips.

Anyway, I have opened in the mean time discussions with vendor to RAM the card and asked for refund.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Please use green team if you just want play peacefully and use read team if you need challenge even before you can play one single game (sometimes it is fun).

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
forkwny
Adept III

I'd personally return the XTX card. As a few others have mentioned, I've never experienced problems to the degree that you have, and I've been using AMD graphics cards for the past 15 years. Occasionally AMD releases buggy drivers (23.7.2, the current release as of this post, are problematic, but only for specific functions that most don't use), but AMD generally corrects problems on the next driver iteration. 

From past experience with driver time-outs, most often it's a power issue (or a defective GPU). You may find with your next card, whether Nvidia or another AMD card, you may have similar issues, if the root cause is power. 

Which USB peripherals are you using? Maybe a gaming headset? Unplug them all, try running with next to no peripherals (except keyboard and mouse), uninstall as much 3rd party software as you can, especially any drivers for peripherals you might be using. You never know...didn't see that in your troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

-------------------------------------------------------
Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, RX 6700 XT GPU, Windows 11 Pro x64 build 23H2

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I will try to remove some other softwares like CUE (which is never started, I just started it once to set up the RGB stuff).

I will try the USB thing in case of. My headset is often unplugged but I have a powered up usb hub. I will try removing it.

I will try to remove all possible softwares ...

Currently, I have just intalled the driver without Adrenaline, and I have set the core to 2498MHz... Did not touch anything in afterburner like Power Limit and MV.

Yes may be I don't have chance and the PSU I just bought 3 months ago is faulty ?

(Be Quiet Straight Power 11 - 1000W Certified Platinum 80+) - unfortunately I don't have any other PSU to check and a lot of people experience the driver time out but my guess is that drivers are just coded with feet.

I am already discussing with vendor to return the card.

I will keep you in touch.

0 Likes

Ique is known to cause problems, it may even leave traces behind when you remove it that cause problems.

Google "icue causing pc to crash" or driver timeout.

I have a corsair keyboard and almost installed that garbage but luckily saw it caused crashes so avoided it.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

I was googling your PSU, and it appears to be a multi-rail PSU. Looks like 4 rails? Which means, you should split the power connectors for GPU on a different rails. Use 38A one each, and if you have third gpu power connector, not sure which one to plug in for that. You want to split up the power draw for entire pc so that GPU spike doesn't exceed rail amperage.

I found some details:

+12V1 Max. Current 22A
+12V2 Max. Current 22A
+12V3 Max. Current 38A - (PCIe 1/2)
+12V4 Max. Current 38A - (PCIe 2/3)

So I guess PCIe 1 (V3) and PCIe 3 (V4) are definitely on different rails, and PCIe 2 goes to a different rail. My guess for PCIe 2 is top plug uses V3 and bottom one uses V4.

My recommendation is to never buy multi-rail PSUs

0 Likes

Thank you for your message.

I have used one rail (PCIe1 PCIe2 PCIe3) for each power socket of the card (sockets on top, the largest ones).

0 Likes

Hi,

I found the details also. It is not 38A but 30A

Rails 12V (fonctionnement multi-rails)4
Fonctionnement mono-rail 12V-
Clef overclocking-
+3.3V (A)25
+5V (A)25
+12V1 (A)22
+12V2 (A)22
+12V3 (A)30
+12V4 (A)30
+12V5 (A)-
+12V6 (A)-
-12V (A)0.5
+5Vsb (A)3
Puissance combinée maximale 12V (W)999.6
Puissance combinée maximale 12VHPWR (W)0
Puissance combinée maximale 3,3V + 5V (W)150
Durée de maintien @ 100% (ms)20
Signal Power Good (ms)100 - 150

drumspirit_0-1691402220128.png

Do you think the PSU doesnt deliver enough A ? It is far more than the 65A recommanded by AMD on its drivers site.

I don't have any issues with Benchmarks, OCCT, Cinebench R23. Issue is only with consuming games.

This is where I have plugged the cables for the GPU. I have used 3 different cables provided within the BOX.

drumspirit_1-1691402637461.png

0 Likes

I do not know which custom card you have, but most reviews I have read for custom 7900 XTX GPUs show the power draw in +400w range, usually about 450w.

30A = 30A * 12v = 360W

Given your picture, I think PCIe 1 and 2 will share a rail (V3), and PCIe 3 will be on separate separate rail (V4). Based on information I read at tom's hardware. I would put two connectors in PCIe 1, and one in PCIe 3, then you are guaranteed to know which connectors are sharing a rail.

I do not know how the power draw works for the GPU. I wouldn't necessarily assume it is even. I would assume connector 1 would pull the most, connector 2 with second most, etc... I would put connector 1 in PCIe 3 so it is by itself. My guess is that connector 1 would be the one closest to the GPU chip. If the power draw is even across connectors, then none of this matters.

0 Likes
drumspirit
Adept II

Hello there,

Just giving some news since my last post.

I have returned the card to vendor. I am now waiting for him to diagnose it. I hope he will either replace the card or refund it.

I provided a very detail diagnosis in a huge email, hoping this will force him to at least replace the card even if I^d like to get the money back.

I even did a Youtube video showing the symptoms on a fresh and clean Windows installation and the minimum required to make a game work

However, here is what I have discovered since then : driver is crashing when the card is boosting far over 3000MHz.

Plus, the GPU doesn't respect driver parameters at all.

By default, when Windows starts up, the max GPU clock is set to sometimes : 2995MHz, sometimes 3020MHz.
While monitoring it under GPU-Z, it went far away these parameters : 3100MHz+ while all the parameters are default in the driver.

Moreover, I have forced the driver to 2500MHz and it also ramped up to 2600+

According to me, this behaviour is not normal at all.

Whatever happens, if vendor doesn't want to refund it, I will sell it on bside market to some fellows and get back as much money as I can and buy an NVidia.

Thanks to all the people here who tried to help.

May the force be with you guys (and may be ladies).

0 Likes
RotPest
Journeyman III

i feel you , i came fresh from vaccation with a clear mind and tried a last time to solve the amd driver-timeout thing that happen in certain games , tried every single solution , even ddu and fresh driver-only installation , undervolting and i forgot what i tried more. im tiered , mad and i dont wanna try anymore. i hate nvidia i hate them so much and i was so happy when i changed completly to amd but with the rx 7900 xtx it was a complete fail and AMD pushed me back to nvidia again. 

yeah nvidia isnt the best when it comes to price , size and other stuffs but they have the most important feature : IT WORKES !!! i even thought about to give the rx 7900 xtx to my mother who just use internet and youtube , for that the card would be great and work without problems but for heavy games ? i dont know. 

and yes i just created a account to reply to you just for that,because the quote from linkin park is exactly how i feel and i will lose a lot of money just reselling this card.

i tried to like the card so hard and the card got more chances as anything else but its point less. 

there is clearly a problem with drivers and amd seams not to care and the community often act like its nothing just try 1000 diffrent things to make it work or avoid the game "xyz" so you dont have the problem. 

maybe i give AMD a second chance with my next setup in few years but we will see. 

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

Wow.

This is my exact experience.

Brand new pcs 6 months ago.

I had:

Driver time out crashses

Lag, and judders

dropping performance at random stutter times, like a 1/2 second pause then speed up

I had white static bands about 1-2 inches thick across the monitor horizontally.

I had so many driver time out issues.

I did all the things you've mentioned. SO MUCH.

I RMA'd the card.

My new card, I've had 3 days.....

Fixed the lag.

Already seeing white banding flickering.

Still getting driver timeout issues.

I wish I could get a refund.

I plugged in my old Nviida 1080ti into this machine and ran it for a week. It ran smoother, and better. Zero issues.

How mad is that!?

I am hoping the issues Ive had are drivers, but I think I'm going to end up doing a RMA.

Soul crushing.

0 Likes