cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Axalis
Adept I

RX 6950XT driver keeps crashing

I recently got a RX 6950XT and, it's usually working pretty great. In the last few days though, I've gotten a problem with my driver crashing. About 15 mins into playing a game (either heavily modded Skyrim or TF2, the only two games I've recently played) the driver crashes. My primary monitor, which is connected to my GPU, goes black and loses signal and my secondary monitor, connected to integrated graphics, becomes primary and I get a pop-up that AMD has experienced an issue and I have to restart. When I restart, the resolution on my primary monitor is wonky but fixes itself when I re-install the driver and restart. Usually after that, it's fine for the rest of the day.

If anyone had any ideas on how to resolve this issue, I'd appreciate it.

0 Likes
15 Replies
jsk68
Challenger

As far as I know you're suppose to disable integrated graphics when running a graphics card, you should use the outputs from the 6950xt to run both monitors.

0 Likes

I've unplugged my second monitor and tried, but it didn't solve the problem. I doubt this is the issue.

0 Likes

Well if you aren't even willing to try suggestions then whats the point of posting here?

I have over 20 years experience and it's a well known fact on board graphics can cause issues with dedicated Graphics cards. (doesn't mean it is the cause but you'll never know unless you try it)

0 Likes

My BIOS, I do not disable the iGPU and works normal when use it. But you need to choose in your BIOS to priority the GPU.

Do not disable iGPU, if your GPU dead, MB will auto switch to iGPU and at least you can still has something to display on your monitor.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

BTW you need to disable on board graphics in the bios not unplug your monitor..

0 Likes

Doesn't the "auto" setting turn off integrated graphics if there's nothing actively using them? In any case, I got an adapter for my second monitor so I could plug both into my PC and the crashing didn't stop. Though I found that undervolting drastically decreased the amount of crashes.

0 Likes

It's always been recommended to disable it (via bios), you can google search if you don't believe me.

It may not be an issue at all, but this is just make sure it isn't the problem, you can always re-enable it, takes like 1 minute.

0 Likes

I did disable it manually, hence the "in any case."

0 Likes

You don't need to disable the iGPU. I don't have mine disabled (no problems here) and we sure don't disable them at work.

We run Quadros, Firepros and regular RTX with the iGPU enabled.

But you should use the dGPU outputs ONLY! Or it will mess with windows prioritization, this happens when our end users plug the monitor to board and CAD/REVIT starts (or crashes hard) with the iGPU instead.

Troubleshoot your PSU, inside Adrenalin or MSI afterburner set power limit to 80/90% and undervolt plus underclock. Use only one monitor.

See if it still crashes, if it does, then the GPU "might" be tripping your PSU.

You may want to check @t3chl0rd tip as well.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What are your full system specs?

Why don't you just run both monitors off your GPU? Including make/model of your PSU

Are your GPU drivers up to date? .. are your chipset drivers up to date? .. is your Windows install up to date? .. is  your  BIOS up to date?

ThreeDee PC specs

B650M Micro ATX Motherboard, Ryzen 7700, 850W PSU, RX 6950 XT

Everything is up to date, this computer is less than two weeks old.

0 Likes

What make/model 850w PSU?

Which B650M Micro ATX motherboard?

Which RX 6950XT GPU? IF Gigabyte .. they have a utility that you can run to easily check for  and install latest vBIOS for their GPUs. I ran it on my Gigabyte RX 6800 Gaming OC and it found and installed and update for it easily enough

What errors are popping up in your system's Event Viewer?

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

ThreeDee PC specs

My bad, I wasn't very specific.

Gigabyte B650M DS3H Micro ATX Motherboard, XFX Speedster 6950XT, MSI MPG A850GF PSU.

I ran the Gigabyte utility you recommended and found several out-of-date things including a driver update to 22.20.42, and I was able to play games effectively for about a day until it started crashing again. Subsequent runs of the software don't reveal anything left to update.

Only thing in the event viewer that I can see connected to this is "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered" but it doesn't seem to appear every time.

My GPU is running off of two separate PCIE cables.

0 Likes
joeyhummelman
Newcomer

any solution? mine recently started creashing every hour

0 Likes
t3chl0rd
Adept III

For me I found my problem was ULPS now being auto enabled when it was always disabled before, and in my Videocard info (Gpu-Z) it shows ULPS n/a, but searching for ULPS in registry ENABLEULPS was set to (1)on, and changing it to (0) off my random display freezing and "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered" have stopped. I will note that my problems were system wide and would happen even when doing nothing or on the desktop, but especially while gaming. My PC was not freezing audio would still play and I could hear the CPU fan going up and down, and saw HDD activity LED's still working.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes