Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

r85
Journeyman III

Driver issues on 7900xt

Hi,

Been trying to troubleshoot this issue now for a couple of weeks but it doesn't seem like I'm able to figure out the root cause.

Specs:
CPU: 7700x
RAM: 32GB 6000MHz
MB: Biostar B650E
GPU: 7900xt XFX Speedster MERC310

I've been running previously a VEGA64 and felt it was time for an update, I bought myself a brand new 7900xt.

My issue occurs immediately after installing any AMD driver, the screen starts flashing off and on briefly, there are tearing and artifacts visible the whole time with no end, it is constant, sometimes the screen turns black for 5 secs.

I've tried every driver available, the only one where i have no issue is the 23.1.1, that works perfectly, every other driver version is causing said issue.

Multiple times I've completely removed all drivers (also utilizing the AMD driver removal utility) but it has had no positive effect when re-installing version x,y or z, only 23.1.1 works.
I have not yet felt the need to simply try and re-install my OS as i have that one single driver version which actually works.

Does anyone have any idea on how to further troubleshoot this, it is literally unusable if not running driver 23.1.1, I don't feel like i have strong case if i were to RMA it?

Update: Added a video of the issue, you can find it here on my google drive.
AMD 23.4.1 Driver Issue

0 Likes
3 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

What Power Supply make/model/age are you using?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Hi,

Sorry have been busy with work this week.

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000W Platinum
PSU is from October last year, the rest of the components is from December and the GPU is bought now in February.

My plan today is to format the PC, I cannot see any other solution attempt at the moment since i have basically removed everything and started over.

0 Likes
r85
Journeyman III

I seem to have found the root cause.

I did manage to format and upon first boot I installed the Chipset drivers, rebooted and then installed the newest 23.4.1, rebooted, now I didn't have the same issue as shown on the video.

What I noticed now was my refresh rate in Windows had been set to 165Hz, previously I had it locked on 120Hz, when I changed it to 120Hz the issue shown in the video instantly returned, I reverted back to 165Hz and the issues disappeared again.

I'm not sure yet why if there is some sort of miscommunication between the Windows setting and the AMD driver/app, I will try to figure that out now.

In hindsight it probably wasn't necessary to format as I know I had the refresh rate locked on 120Hz and changing that to 165H probably would have eliminated my issues.

0 Likes